Sponsored

I Just Fully Upgraded The Suspension On My 2020 GT PP1 Magneride And I'm Not Happy With The Steeda Dual Rate Springs - Looking For Recommendations

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
did you get or do an alignment?

interesting thing about the bump steer kit: I don’t have and never considered needing it. Take it off.

edit: if you added front camber or toe-out, it’s gonna make the car feedback mouthy.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The dual rates are designed for both the street and track - it is more more performance oriented spring. We have sold a ton of these springs with positive feedback - once you speak to our tech, then you can make the necessary adjustments - but as a point of reference, even though they are a more performance oriented spring - it should not be sacrificing the ride quality to the degrees you are indicating.

Look forward to connecting you with our team.

TJ

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I have the same springs along with a bunch of other Steeda parts. The car is definitely firmer. But still very to drive with or ride the car.
Maybe they were installed wrong? I also agree with someone above who said, take off the bump steer kit. You didn’t lower the car enough to need them.
Wish you the best of luck getting it resolved and can tell you that the Customer Service is amazing and Steeda, TJ and the rest of the team will do everything to make sure your happy!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You mixed both STEEDA and bmr components and now yer complaing about harshness. You shoulda went with all STEEDA or all bmr. exceptions are non-moving parts like the alignment/bushing lockout kit, diff bushing, etc.

OP
OP

sadams930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
did you get or do an alignment?

interesting thing about the bump steer kit: I don’t have and never considered needing it. Take it off.

edit: if you added front camber or toe-out, it’s gonna make the car feedback mouthy.
Did the alignment, don't have the sheet handy but I'm bringing it in on Wednesday to fine tune it and take a look at the spring situation. Might have them swap back on my stock springs and see how it feels so I can say exactly how much of the harshness is from the springs, then go from there.

But the specs for the alignment were the following -
Front camber -1.8
Caster 7.2
Toe -.05

Rear
Camber -1.3
Toe -.10

Based on BMR recommendations.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sadams930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium Convertible
You mixed both STEEDA and bmr components and now yer complaing about harshness. You shoulda went with all STEEDA or all bmr. exceptions are non-moving parts like the alignment/bushing lockout kit, diff bushing, etc.
I went with Steeda for springs and the bumpsteer kit. Plenty of people have different company springs on their vehicles, what are you talking about?

Every bushing and connection and link is BMR what the hell does it matter who made the spring?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
If you have the rear lower control arm bearings installed that’s probably the root cause.
Also, check your bump stops.

Steeda tech.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

I heard if you mix whole and skim milk it can explode. Be careful.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Title says it best. I just added a bunch of suspension goodies to my 2020 GT PP1 Magneride and I think I may have taken it a bit too far with choosing the Steeda dual rate springs.
The Steeda dual rates are just too stiff on the rear. There's no need for a 1300# rear spring. It just messes the car up. That's why I recommend the Ford Performance package. The extra front rate (of both kits) really helps the handling of the car. The stiff rear just hurts grip and makes the rear bounce around. I'm not aware of any redeeming quality.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
If you have the rear lower control arm bearings installed that’s probably the root cause.
Also, check your bump stops.

Steeda tech.
Bump stops, sure. Control arm bearings are not a contributing factor to a bad ride. They may transmit slightly more noise, but those springs you sell is what makes the rear hop around.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
There's no need for a 1300# rear spring
That's around full compression. 800# otherwise. I'm Gonna go drink some skim +2% milk now.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
That's around full compression. 800# otherwise. I'm Gonna go drink some skim +2% milk now.
No. They are 'dual rates', not progressives. The tight coils are made to go into coil bind and remain inactive. The widely spaced coils are the active ones.The 800# rate is only there to achieve the correct ride height and then be canceled out under the static weight of the car.

Once the initial rate is canceled (i.e. Any time you're actually driving it) you have the full 1200#/in rate.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They are 'dual rates', not progressives.
AFAIK
Dual Rate Springs ...........Front Soft Front Firm Rear Soft Rear Firm
Steeda Comp Dual Rate.....220 ...............350 ............800 ............1200

Steeda progressives are 145 / 225 / 525 / 820

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
I just installed a bunch of Steeda components too and my ride feels much harsher than before. People keep telling me that I've just got to get used to it and nothing will be as smooth as stock. It feels like it handles like a race car now and is super fun to drive, but our city streets are crap here and I've gotta be really careful how I drive now. Also, I read somewhere that you're supposed to upgrade your suspension in phases giving parts time to settle rather than replace everything at once. I am still pretty happy regardless of the rougher ride. Good luck with what ever you end up doing!!!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
AFAIK
Dual Rate Springs ...........Front Soft Front Firm Rear Soft Rear Firm
Steeda Comp Dual Rate.....220 ...............350 ............800 ............1200

Steeda progressives are 145 / 225 / 525 / 820
A progressive spring is wound in a way which allows its rate increase in a smooth fashion. A dual rate spring has literally 2 separate rates with a discrete step. The analogy to a dual rate spring would be a standard rate spring with a helper or tender spring to achieve the correct ride height without letting the springs rattle when the car is in the air.

There is a very good reason why Steeda designates then differently. They are not the same thing.
Sponsored