Sponsored

I de tuned my car

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would think it would be a lot easier to add ballast to the rear end by putting sandbags in the trunk instead of detuning the engine. When you get to the dragstrip you just need to take the sand bags out of the trunk.
Sponsored

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I would think it would be a lot easier to add ballast to the rear end by putting sandbags in the trunk instead of detuning the engine. When you get to the dragstrip you just need to take the sand bags out of the trunk.
Pretty sure at the power levels were talking a few hundred pounds in the trunk isn't really going to make any difference.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
whenever I sit in my car I just remind myself 'Nothing to prove'

Everybody knows what a mustang is and what it can do. So I just go along minding my own business. its interesting to read this as I have a KB 2.8LC on the way. I probably wont go for an aggressive tune on it. the one that comes with it will probably be just fine.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
I de-tune daily....with my right foot. I drive around with very minimal suspension mods on drag radials with 700+ pretty easy. The right set up goes a long way.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I de-tune daily....with my right foot. I drive around with very minimal suspension mods on drag radials with 700+ pretty easy. The right set up goes a long way.
You could have a thousand horsepower and still drive pretty easily on the street the point is can you use all that horsepower on the street and with minimal mods even at 700 the answer is no, been there done that. Sure there are techniques with a clutch or even in an automatic to reduce wheel spin but at that point you're not using all the power anyway that's why hellcats get their ass beat from a dig also why na 18's can beat a ZR1 in 1/8 mile. Traction is everything and with that kind of power you ain't getting any and if you are you're not using all the power, again the track is a totally different story. A car with less horsepower that can hook will beat a more powerful car that can't everytime from a dig you certainly can modify your suspension to improve traction something I did not want to do, but even then you're limited on the street.. if you do succeed in getting some traction at that power the next thing you're going to do is snap an axle break a drive shaft or hurt the transmission again something I was not interested in getting involved with. That's why the majority of high-power super cars are now all wheel drive with auto Transmissions

Last edited:

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
OP, I applaud your de-tuning. It shows restraint.

To answer the M6G homepage question: I think the S550 only needs a tune to hulk the lower rpm torque curve a bit. That is it. But then again I once worshipped the ā€˜96 Viper GTS @ 400hp so my bar is set to hp levels when ā€œFriendsā€ was still on prime-time.
The '96 GTS was 450 hp and 490 ft lbs of torque; and did 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and did the 1/4 mile in 12.2 @ 119 mph. Slower than the A10 '18 GT. Amazing.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Thank god some people get power to weight and traction!!

In a world of dyno queens and youtube jackholes around every turn its extremely refreshing to see that some people still get it.

10s NA in a 2018 is my personal goal.

No need to demolish the bank account.

Bolt ons, Proper suspension, and a little weight reduction if you really like to party will be enough to walk hellcats and some ZR1s LOL as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Another thing people rarely talk about is how far and how amazing tuning has become.

We now can have "cam lope tunes" "87 emission tunes" "flex fuel tunes" "driveability tunes" ect. ect.

Its not just a dyno tune set for kill mode anymore. Vehicles are wayyyyyyy more refined and civil at even 4 digit hp my grandmother could drive one to the grocery store and back.

That being said even tuning platforms are amazingly impressive and capable. Look at the new HPT platform 2nd gear 4k rpm launches for the A10 trans.

Its been pretty big for the Audi, VWs and Porsche but transmission tuning I feel like is lacking for the domestics.

All the power in the world just isnt the same if you have to detune it or modulate it with your right foot.

Enjoy the times we live in and long live the ICE engine!!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Why race on the street? All youā€™re ever going to prove is who has the best traction :bandit:

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I honestly feel the level of power that I'm at is enough to have a very fast street car, but one that you can use without having to be on questionable tires. I'm at 423 whp. I still have to modulate and respect the hell out of it, but I can actually get into it often.
Agreed. Iā€™m at 454 whp and it feels perfect for the street. Plenty of power to have fun on the street and the track. And the n/a powerband keeps everything fairly controllable.

1crazymach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red GT 500
My 2016 had a Roush blower 601 rwhp and 3.73 gears (6 speed). 305/35/19 Michelin Tire I was so unhappy with drive-ability Traction on street I sold car after 4 months of ownership hated it 1200 miles on it. I now have a 2018 3.55 Michelin PS4 325/30/19 gears A10 with a Whipple Stage 2 683RWHP and I Love it! Drive-ability is great. My first auto sports car enjoy every minute of it

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Agreed. Iā€™m at 454 whp and it feels perfect for the street. Plenty of power to have fun on the street and the track. And the n/a powerband keeps everything fairly controllable.
My mods are very similar to yours. I just bought a ported 2018 intake manifold. If I achieved 450 whp on 93 octane, that's more than enough. Look forward to getting it tuned!

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i run 1100 wheel, no issues on the street :)

madsedan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT, PP/Prem
Every chassis has a limit of horsepower that it can efficiently handle, put the power down, and control with minimal impact on acceleration. Nothing wrong with this at all, this is a very intelligent perspective to settle for lower hp/tq in the name of driveability. I had a turbocharged E36 M3 around 2002 and it was very happy as a daily driver making 350 rwhp, I had bought a stage 2 kit and increased power up to about 435 rwhp and it just wasn't as fun to drive or predictable so I went back to stage 1+ and left it. Traction/suspension control is key to having safe and fun power on the street for me, at the road course its obviously a little different.

No matter how much power we get out of our V8's there is always a kid with $650 worth of mods on a used $20k Audi S3, WRX, or GTI that'll kill us from the line or at any speed under 65 mph lol.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My mods are very similar to yours. I just bought a ported 2018 intake manifold. If I achieved 450 whp on 93 octane, that's more than enough. Look forward to getting it tuned!
I think you will probably hit that mark considering you have headers.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Around Boise, 500 crank hp in an A10 '18 GT is going to be faster than nearly everything on the road. There are a few Hellcats and C7 Vette's around, but I have yet to pull up next to one, or even be in the vicinity of, in the first 6 weeks owning the GT. I did pull up next to a 6th Gen ZL1 a few weeks ago, but I was turning and he was going straight. ZL1s are obviously faster than the GT in the magazine tests, but if his was manual, the A10 GTs can give them a run for their money, esp on the street. That said, I haven't street raced my GT and don't really plan on it since I'd prefer not to get arrested or receive a very expensive ticket.
Sponsored