Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Most super cars now that make this level of power are AWD if the mustang and its competitors continue to increase power the move to AWD will need to be considered. Otherwise we will just have a bunch of demon-like vehicles that really can't do much on the street. Or possibly an easy way to switch Tunes to increase and decrease power depending on where you are track or Street
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I helped a buddy build a 2009 GT500 who wanted to have Light to Light fun. I advised the suspension setup as a streetable modification. Little did I know, he didn't tell me, Cantu Racing would be involved w/power adders. Ie. Cobra Jet intake ARH headers and 3" exhaust into MBRP catback. Over 600 Hp and now he can't "Hook" on the street? Oh well, live an learn.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Put a CAI & Nice Mufflers, 93 tune and done. That's all these cars need.
Street racing is irresponsible because it involves uncontrolled conditions, ie. traffic, pedestrians, animals, unseen road hazards, etc. and you put other people at risk. I get the temptation when you drive a car like a Mustang and everyone wants to race you at every stoplight, but take it to the track where you can control for those variables and race in a safe environment where for the most part you are putting no one at risk but yourself. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but street racing is illegal and dangerous. We have racetracks to scratch our wild itch.
Well said. unfortunately, not everyone has been exposed to proper life lessons at this point in their lives.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I helped a buddy build a 2009 GT500 who wanted to have Light to Light fun. I advised the suspension setup as a streetable modification. Little did I know, he didn't tell me, Cantu Racing would be involved w/power adders. Ie. Cobra Jet intake ARH headers and 3" exhaust into MBRP catback. Over 600 Hp and now he can't "Hook" on the street? Oh well, live an learn.
My GT500 experience was similar....

A NA Coyote with basic bolt-ons and a healthy tune is the sweet spot on the street using typical performance tires, IMO. Unless you're after end-all dragstrip times....

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I tihnk a lot of it has to do with where you live/drive. For me, I live in WV where there are few straights and mostly hills and curves for days. 400-450whp is more than enough for what I do not to mention I have no desire to run a DR that sucks in the rain and doesn't last long. With that said, if I lived in a place like Texas or the midwest with miles of straights then yes more horsepower would likely be more useful. I take my car down to Mustang Week every year, and once I get out of the mountains I find myself thinking boost would be a good thing to have but when I do get back into the curves I realize I have as much power as I need on tap.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Don't get me wrong with additional mods and a lot of focus ( starting in 2nd, feathering the cluth ect...) you can run hi power on the street, but in the scenario of light to light be prepared to be embarrassed by the snot nose kid in a WRX with AWD. Now if you have a little space to let "your horses run wild" you'll have the last laugh. The 99 in my signature is also a 10 sec car but it is built top to bottom front to back and hooks pretty good but as I said I am not looking to get into that anymore. I just want to turn my cooled seat on put George Jones in ( showing my age ) drop it in D and kick the ass of all foreign crap I can as well as an occasional camaro or vette. Stomp, hook and go is how you win on the street. Again totally different on a prepared track. All about what you want your car to do.
Dude, you are getting older and do not need it. I respect that. I am 40. I would like a little more power in my 16 prem...it is just tuned, but I do get what you are saying. This is my first muscle car though.
I just really like beating the people that block the fast lane, then speed up when you pass them, I chuckle every time while looking at them. That is about ten chuckles a day commuting in my shitty area.
Same for the people at redlights who do not want you to get in front of them. Having the power is f'in awesome but I do not need 800hp.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I'm really confused at the part where you say you can't get traction and you're only around 500hp with drag radials....

I make plenty over 800 on wastegate and hook just fine on the street with completely stock suspension...

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really confused at the part where you say you can't get traction and you're only around 500hp with drag radials....

I make plenty over 800 on wastegate and hook just fine on the street with completely stock suspension...
If you read my post I said I detuned my car so I had more than 500 at the wheels. Not sure if you mean 800 at the wheel or crank but either way I can't see how you can get any traction on the street with stock suspension. Even starting in 2nd I would be sideways down the street roasting tires. I am not new to driving these cars but you are certainly more talanted than me.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
If you read my post I said I detuned my car so I had more than 500 at the wheels. Not sure if you mean 800 at the wheel or crank but either way I can't see how you can get any traction on the street with stock suspension. Even starting in 2nd I would be sideways down the street roasting tires. I am not new to driving these cars but you are certainly more talanted than me.
On wastegate which is roughly 7-8lbs cant remember exactly I made over 800 to the wheels.
I also have 315/50/17 Mickey Thompson ET street R's on the rear with 3.15's gears.
As long as I don't brake boost in second gear I'm usually okay. Every now and then I'll have to just barely peddle it.

These cars do amazing on stock suspension. I've seen plenty of guys pull 1.3x's at the track with competely stock suspension.
On my second pass I did a 1.401 i believe. I plan on being in the 1.3's once the tracks open back up

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I applaud your de-tuning. It shows restraint.

To answer the M6G homepage question: I think the S550 only needs a tune to hulk the lower rpm torque curve a bit. That is it. But then again I once worshipped the ā€˜96 Viper GTS @ 400hp so my bar is set to hp levels when ā€œFriendsā€ was still on prime-time.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I think itā€™s an intelligent decision for a street car. For one, if you canā€™t put the power down without spinning itā€™s a waste. For another, longevity / reliability will generally be better when you have some headroom, and arenā€™t stressing the drivetrain to the limit. Being the dyno king might make you a hero for 5 minutes, but where enough is enough really depends on goals. Personally, if I ever had the chance to do a power adder, Iā€™d go with conservative boost, a stable tune and call it a day. But hey, if you have deep pockets and enjoy wrenching, turn it up to 11 and enjoy.