Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Never noticed the matte stripes on the black roof. Super cool.
Yeah - I originally didn't plan to install them, but decided to give it a shot and glad I did. Will be interested to see how it looks on the carbon roof

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Such a good color, and am glad HB will live on in red. Although it's not quite White/Blue stripes though :wink:

As an aside, you think you will be up and running by the July 14th night event at COTA? Some friends are doing it, and I was going to go out just for the experience. A friend shared a video of HB on the pit straight from last year or two years ago. What a noise.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Such a good color, and am glad HB will live on in red. Although it's not quite White/Blue stripes though :wink:

As an aside, you think you will be up and running by the July 14th night event at COTA? Some friends are doing it, and I was going to go out just for the experience. A friend shared a video of HB on the pit straight from last year or two years ago. What a noise.
Are you driving? Or just hanging out?

And not sure. This might be the first year I miss since moving down in 2018. It looks like we're going to be on a road trip the first two weeks of July - if the car is done, I'll be driving at Road America and Watkins Glen. While I'll be super bummed to miss the night event, I feel like WGI is a worthy track to miss it for ha!

Are you going to be out for any other events? I think I should be at the May event - hoping to do my first COTA shakedown then.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

And not sure. This might be the first year I miss since moving down in 2018. It looks like we're going to be on a road trip the first two weeks of July - if the car is done, I'll be driving at Road America and Watkins Glen. While I'll be super bummed to miss the night event, I feel like WGI is a worthy track to miss it for ha!

Are you going to be out for any other events? I think I should be at the May event - hoping to do my first COTA shakedown then.
Hanging out/taking photos. Two friends signed up, a M1 and a SS1LE. I don't have the confidence in myself/my car just yet to trust my tiny ass headlights on a dark COTA. COTA is penciled in for September/October/November this year (Attempting to hit two of those three months). The friends that have been at COTA this year said they did a good job fixing all the bumps last year, and the new asphalt is more or less the same grip level.

RA and WG have to be on just about every track guys list, I don't blame ya, especially that time of year.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

What days in July are you going to RA? I might try to pop up, would love to see your car and say hello.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hanging out/taking photos. Two friends signed up, a M1 and a SS1LE. I don't have the confidence in myself/my car just yet to trust my tiny ass headlights on a dark COTA. COTA is penciled in for September/October/November this year (Attempting to hit two of those three months). The friends that have been at COTA this year said they did a good job fixing all the bumps last year, and the new asphalt is more or less the same grip level.

RA and WG have to be on just about every track guys list, I don't blame ya, especially that time of year.
Yeah - the track is pretty good right now. I was out there weekend before SLB instructing and it was grippy. Will be pretty slick in July heat - but not from the bumps/old asphalt. The best event of the year is December, IMHO. I'd try to make it to that if you can.

Will be great to meet up. Do we follow each other on IG? (if we talk regularly on IG, please say duh - i'm terrible at keeping that stuff straight until I have a face to tie to the screen name).

What days in July are you going to RA? I might try to pop up, would love to see your car and say hello.
Absolutely! How local are you?

And hoping to make the Northwood Shelby Club event July 4-7

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great info, I will keep that December date penciled in too. IIRC, theres an early December event for advanced track time, and an event just prior to Christmas, which is why I think I wrote off December. Will have to look again.

As for IG, I'd be lying if I said I knew any more than you. HPDE, especially in this part of Texas is a small world, and I am sure we will run into one another at some point.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah - the track is pretty good right now. I was out there weekend before SLB instructing and it was grippy. Will be pretty slick in July heat - but not from the bumps/old asphalt. The best event of the year is December, IMHO. I'd try to make it to that if you can.

Will be great to meet up. Do we follow each other on IG? (if we talk regularly on IG, please say duh - i'm terrible at keeping that stuff straight until I have a face to tie to the screen name).

I’m Chicago area, so just a couple hours from RA. My son has a baseball tourney that weekend but hopefully I can pop up one of those days. RA is on my list for this summer, so it would be a good reason to get up there.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
What org/dates are you on WGI? I'm planning several trips there this year and would be great to see your car in metal and say hi.

Also, since you will be in the area, I highly recommend planning a detour to Mosport as well. :giggle:

GT350Keith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
1969 Shelby GT350, 1991 300ZX TT, 2018 GT350

You will love Road America! I'm running Friday and Saturday. Will be the first track day for GT350. Usually lots of GT350's there running hard.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

They repaved RA last year, so it's had one season to "season" LOL..
I will not be running with the NWSC that July Weekend, but I would buy tickets if you sold them just to see your car on one of those days!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
You will love Road America! I'm running Friday and Saturday. Will be the first track day for GT350. Usually lots of GT350's there running hard.
Hi Keith, will try to stop by one of those days either on Friday or Sat to cheer you on!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sorry Kyle... Just couldn't resist..

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Custom front crash bar/tow hook setup is complete. Bar is right up against the bumper, maximizing clearance to the radiator for the future ducting. Not the most meticulously fabricated piece, but it should be plenty strong and super functional.

IMG_2659.JPG

I have the wiring 98% buttoned up - just need to document final install. Also got the new pedal box in - just working on some plumbing changes now. Will share more details tonight/tomorrow AM.

Getting closer to first start and (hopefully) test drive!