Having Ford install mods vs. local Performance shop

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I'm going to be getting an upgraded transmission cooler installed for the coming track season and was thinking because I'm still in warranty and have the Ford ESP maybe it's better if I have upgrades like this installed by a willing dealer (if there are such). I know some performance shops locally that can do a great job. Folks with experience, work for Ford, have done this throw in on the subject. It will be likely there are other cooling mods to come.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt, but it comes down to the mechanics your dealership has working for them. I’d trust a Ford dealership mechanic (kinda) to do routine stuff, but thats about it.

My local dealerships are always swamped anyway. No way I’m waiting that long when I know local speed shops that will stand by their work. In fact, I’d only use Ford if I had no other good option. I’ve once paid for warranty work to be done at my own expense because the cost of the job wasnt worth waiting for Ford to try to figure it out and work it into their backlog.

Again, this is more of a question of the individuals doing the work and the convenience of getting it done, not really about the banner on the door of the business.

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Given that this doesn’t sound like a complicated installation and wanting to keep warranty questions to a minimum I’d have a Ford garage do it. Maybe they’ll let you talk to the mechanic so you can gauge their competence.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
If you can try and find a Ford dealer that sells Roush. I have a huge one out here and if I was going to install anything like a supercharger I would have them do it on the M1. If they’re installing superchargers all the time they should have experience with all of it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I'm still in warranty and have the Ford ESP maybe it's better if I have upgrades like this installed by a willing dealer
1) It won't really matter who installs them, they don't have the authority to keep the warranty if there's ever an issue. You can have a Ford dealer install something, but if you pop the transmission Ford ESP can easily deny the claim due to aftermarket parts regardless of who installed it. The only difference would be if you're having Roush parts installed by a Roush authorized dealer, those come with their own warranty.

2) It also doesn't really matter with your cage (and presumably other track mods). The second Ford sees you rolling into their shop with a cage they will instantly blame track abuse for any issues you may have. There's a thread in the GT350 section where a guy got his warranty claim denied due to a cage, and it seems ESP is more likely to deny coverage than the OEM warranty.

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You are seriously in for an uphill battle if you are modding your car for track use and attempting to use the ESP for any issues. You're better off cancelling it and getting the partial refund.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't even trust my Ford dealer to change my oil. I found a local general auto mechanic near me and he does all my work. When you find a mechanic you can trust that does good honest work, it's gold IMO.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
1) It won't really matter who installs them, they don't have the authority to keep the warranty if there's ever an issue. You can have a Ford dealer install something, but if you pop the transmission Ford ESP can easily deny the claim due to aftermarket parts regardless of who installed it. The only difference would be if you're having Roush parts installed by a Roush authorized dealer, those come with their own warranty.

2) It also doesn't really matter with your cage (and presumably other track mods). The second Ford sees you rolling into their shop with a cage they will instantly blame track abuse for any issues you may have. There's a thread in the GT350 section where a guy got his warranty claim denied due to a cage, and it seems ESP is more likely to deny coverage than the OEM warranty.
Well I had the transmission main seal replaced by a local dealer last summer right after a HPDE. No beef and their tech recommended a bigger cooler for tracking. The belief that anyone who seems like they were at a road course will never get warranty work lives here like great Urban myths. fyi I've had other warranty work done with my rollbar, track tow rings and stickers on too, no hesitations.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Well I had the transmission main seal replaced by a local dealer last summer right after a HPDE. No beef and their tech recommended a bigger cooler for tracking. The belief that anyone who seems like they were at a road course will never get warranty work lives here like great Urban myths. fyi I've had other warranty work done with my rollbar, track tow rings and stickers on too, no hesitations.
I guess small things they don't bother to have beef with. But I can't imagine you rolling in with a hole in the block and trying to get the engine replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Can't think dropping the transmission and replacing the main seal was a small thing.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can't think dropping the transmission and replacing the main seal was a small thing.
A couple hours of labor and a $20 part isn't exactly earth shattering. But it's good to know they still cover small things, probably because it was at the discretion of the dealer and Ford never questioned such a small job.

If the dealer submits a $10,000 claim to Ford for a complete longblock or transmission replacement I doubt it would go down as smoothly.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1

Yep and we are still waiting on the outcome of the arbitration.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
With all of my mods listed in my sig, my local dealer has covered every OEM warranty issue and every ESP warranty issue. Their GT500/GT350 tech is the only tech that works on my car there. He has a honking big Kenne-Bell blower on his personal Mustang. Plus, he likes wrenching on my car.

They told me that they will always cover warranty stuff that they don't have to have a regional tech manager look at. Even then, they said that their regional guy was fairly forgiving. Warranty support like mine is probably not the norm, I guess? It seems like it depends on your choice of dealer and who manages regional-level warranty decisions. As for corporate-level Ford warranty reviews, I have no idea. Never needed one. My dealer said that they have had more corporate-level approvals than denials, however. Good luck with your tranny cooler...

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even trust my Ford dealer to change my oil.
This.
Especially with a car that will see 130mph in a turn.

My wife and I do the dealer maintenance route for her Explorer which isn't bad because they give us a loaner car for free but her car has been in the dealership for 2 months now. We've been chasing a noise that started around 50k miles. They replaced the front axles....still has the noise. Then they replaced the trans and cats....still has the noise. Now they tell us it has a misfire and needs to go to a special service center for further diagnosis. We called them yesterday for an update and they made no mention of a misfire and apparently are now waiting for a torque converter to arrive.
Personally, I have no confidence they have any clue what they're doing.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What does your ESP say regarding modifications? That would be the first place I look as to repercussions.
Sponsored