has anyone opened up the stock honeycomb grill

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
I want to do that but I want to buy a grill delete. I'll probably try it first and see how it looks and later get a grill delete
Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I don't have a dremel. Big drill bit instead followed by a file?

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
What about taking the grill off and then using a grinder to take the backplate off only leaving the honeycomb? I'm wondering if that's possible to open up the entire grill I'm wondering if that's possible to open up the entire grill I hate deep honeycomb pattern it is a bug magnet and impossible to clean. I'd like to slap the designers! I'll be replacing mine with a 2016 CS grill as soon as they are available!

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
A lot of the honeycombs are closed up to force more air through the ones that are open for the radiator--you can't convince me this will improver performance one bit

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
A lot of the honeycombs are closed up to force more air through the ones that are open for the radiator--you can't convince me this will improver performance one bit
Your crazy!:thumbsup:

Although Ford spent a fortune on engineering studies and air flow testing to determine what areas should be "opened" and what "closed" your average backyard mechanic with knows more then those guys....everyone knows that.:headbonk::p

Sponsored

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Yes I have opened the stock grill.

whitestang5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I read about this when I had the boss 302, they didn't put the open grille in the car due to it wouldnt pass the snow intake requirement they had. This is most likely is the same because the intake duct it right behind the opening.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Did the same mod last weekend. The hot knife works but the honey comb is pretty thick and may take some time, or at least it did with my hot knife. If i could do it over again i would start with dremel to get most of the material then move to a flat file to get the edges then maybe a hot knife to smooth out the edges.
So I take it you guys are opening up the honeycombs without removing the grill? I'd like to do this, but would like a nice clean look to the edges so it doesn't look like a hack job. I'm thinking drill out most of it, file it down flush with the edges of the honeycomb with a fine file, then maybe wet sanding as the last step to make the plastic look real smooth.

OP
OP

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I drilled out mine last night and hope to finish it up tonight. Pics up when done

Beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Guard Metallic MT
Just use a Sawzall and be done with it :headbonk:

You guys are friggin' nuts :crazy:

Buy a $35,000 car and start drilling, cutting and filing the grill because you think Ford didn't think about proper air flow?

Sponsored
OP
OP

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
that's the fun of modding I paid for it its mine I'll do what I want with it. next stop is that stupid sound tube!

OP
OP

5.0 Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
a ProCharger will take care of the air flow problems lol

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Buy a $35,000 car and start drilling, cutting and filing the grill because you think Ford didn't think about proper air flow?
This.

Yeah, go right ahead and think the Ford engineers didn't do their job ensuring there was more than adequate airflow.....

:headbonk:

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Just use a Sawzall and be done with it :headbonk:

For the stock air filter/airbox, they did ok. When you add an aftermarket filter and tune, they closed off to much of the grill.

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
So I take it you guys are opening up the honeycombs without removing the grill? I'd like to do this, but would like a nice clean look to the edges so it doesn't look like a hack job. I'm thinking drill out most of it, file it down flush with the edges of the honeycomb with a fine file, then maybe wet sanding as the last step to make the plastic look real smooth.
Nope, I removed the front end and grills. Took my time( 2 days) smoothed out the rough areas with filler and repainted the grill.
Sponsored