Guys, talk some sense into me.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
SWEET!! Glad to see you've already got some track time in! :thumbsup: Have a blast at TOTD; if you have never done it before, you are in for a real treat!

Trust me, if I cared about what other people thought, I wouldn't have bought a Miata OR Mustang. Hello leased BMW!
Precisely!! When I bought my first Mustang, some of my snooty acquaintances assumed that I was going to spontaneously sprout a mullet. :headbang: And yet, I had the class to not tell them what I thought of their leased BMWs... :lol:

Thanks for starting this thread; it has provided a valuable public service by distinguishing the car guys from the dick-measurers. I didn't realize that knuckle-dragging was still a thing...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Congrats on a great car choice! Hard to find a better driving car than the Miata.

Pretty eye-opening to see some of the responses here.

-T
Thanks!

Honestly the responses are about what I expected. The classy people started to get overrun by the douches a little after people started to take delivery around a year ago. I still remember you, though. I always liked your opinions.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
SWEET!! Glad to see you've already got some track time in! :thumbsup: Have a blast at TOTD; if you have never done it before, you are in for a real treat!
I took my Volvo there back in August, which was my first time. It makes all other roads boring in comparison!!! Seriously, one cannot have more fun in a car than at TOTD!

Thanks for starting this thread; it has provided a valuable public service by distinguishing the car guys from the dick-measurers. I didn't realize that knuckle-dragging was still a thing...
No problem. See my response to Trackaholic ^^

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Cleaned up. Any more insults and violations of the forum rules will cause an immediate suspension of your account.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Congrats on a great car choice! Hard to find a better driving car than the Miata.

Pretty eye-opening to see some of the responses here.

-T
I'm not surprised at all. The majority of people here have never even sat in a Miata, let alone take one out on some backroads or a track. I'm also amused by comments that the Miata is a "girly" car while with the launch of the 2015 Mustang, Ford released nail polish :lol: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ils-ford-mustang-nail-lacquer-collection.html

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Congrats. I owned a 91 SE Miata and until very recently was convinced I'd be buying the 2016 Miata.

I've owned 2 Boxsters and thought about going back but they are just a bit too pricy for me.

In the end decided on the Mustang vert 5.0 PP for the comfort and power. I drove the Miata and it was just too small for my 53 year old body. Great car though and looks fantastic.

For me it's all about driver engagement and all 3 cars I considered have it in spades. Thought it was time for a change but totally understand the decision set and final decision.
I can see why you bought it. Comfort and practicality was kind of "eh" to me. At-the-limit handling was the first and foremost priority. I'm a single 21 ear-old male with no kids. I did not want nor need a back seat.

As I age I'm sure a Mustang will find its way into my driveway one day.

OP
OP
Thed

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club

GuardEBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 ATS 3.6L RWD Prem. Perform., 17 350 R ordered
Get it... I want one too! Specifically the Grand Touring.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I recently sold my Pontiac Solstice GXP and plan on buying a Mustang GT. I loved my Solstice. With no more than a tune I was running around 300 hp in a car 900 pounds lighter than a Mustang, it was quick and much fun. I took it to a track day at Pittsburgh International Raceway. In my group was a newer Camaro SS, newer Mustang GT (not an S550) with some mods, an RX8, and a couple of other cars. Of course it's a controlled environment and passing is controlled on the straights. I figured I'd be hanging with the RX8 and getting passed by the Camaro and Mustang. In the end whether it be driver, car, or a combination of the 2, everyone ended up having to let me pass because I kept crowding their asses (I lapped the RX8). Handled great and had a bit of power. I never thought about a Miata because while it may handle great, I think I'd be disappointed with the power or lack thereof.

Anyways I sold it in favor of getting a Mustang in the near future for a few reasons. First off while I don't need a "practical" car, I would like something more practical than my Solstice. I could fit a backpack in the rear but not much more really. It was that small. It was a comfortable car.....for a couple hours. I couldn't imagine doing a road trip in it. It was low to the ground and the seats were just over the rockers. My wife got to where she didn't care to ride in it because she didn't like getting in and out of it. Aftermarket for that car was small and because they weren't produced in huge numbers, I am uncertain of how much support they will have as the years go on. Of course the Miata will be supported, especially because it is so big in the SCCA.

Things the Mustang has going for it....

Huge aftermarket, will never lose support because they make so many, fine for a road trip as the new ones are super comfortable, a trunk that will actually hold stuff, and I am sure a few other reasons I am thinking of.

Also, do you really want a car that smiles at everything?

My Solstice. She is missed but I know I made the right decision and I know I will be happy with my Mustang when she comes.

Sponsored

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
Around 28K for a car that delivers......155HP lol
I don't think you can find a brand new entry level sports sedan or coupe for lower than that price now-a-days. Look at the BRZ, WRX, Evo, GTi etc all start at least from 25K plus...Not sure about the Civic Type R pricing.

But the Miata is not about HP, It is about driving experience that I bet is miles ahead of a Mustang GT. Least to say it is a "driver's car".

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
I went on a test drive in a NC and it was nice but the interior was bland. Then I saw the ND a few months ago and it is really nice, Mazda really improved the interior and the fit & finish was amazing.
Sponsored