Sponsored

GT350R vs BMW M2 CS (my overnight internet crush)

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Interesting opinions. I do realize that group I'm talking to, though ;)
I owned and daily drove a 2017 BMW M2 for a few years before I got my Tesla Model 3. I did some light mods (tune, intake, sport catalytic converter) and also used as an HPDE car at Sebring a few times. It is a great car for that purpose. The short wheelbase and overall length make the car feel nimble. The dual clutch was excellent at being smooth for street driving, but fast enough to enjoy at the track going full tilt. Has usable back seats and trunk, and excellent visibility. Few downsides were seating position was a bit too high, and has small gas tank for daily driver (14 gallons if I remember). If you want more info or advice, feel free to contact me šŸ˜„
Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I love my M3 E92 6 speed manual.... I know it's not an M2, but I would NOT trade it for an M2 CS or not.
If I could only keep one, GT350R or M3, I would need to think for a bit... honestly.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I've also fallen in love with the M2 CS, though I've always liked the M2 since it came out. My favorite review:

19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s not too often I get the chance to bring something different to the table on this forum but I would feel remiss If I didnā€™t mention to a bunch of fellow enthusiasts what I would consider a legitimate driverā€™s car in this world of technically assisted automobiles.
When I was looking for a new toy, I had considered a lot of stuff, one being an M2 Comp. I luckily had come across something I knew nothing about and had never even seen before: the Alfa Romeo 4C.
I was of course familiar with the Italian brand and their roots in racing but never knew something like this car existed; two-seater, hand built in Modena, Italy at the Maserati factory, carbon fiber monocoque, mid-engine RWD, F1 gearbox, sub 2,500 lbs., and crazy good (sexy) looks.
I know many will blow it off due to it having only four cylinders and without a stick but it might be the closest thing to a go-kart or modern day Dino that can be had for a fraction of what one might expect given some of its attributes.
I could go on and on about what makes these cars so special but the driving experience tells it all with such a raw driving experience. I love my ā€˜Rā€™ but compared to the 4C, itā€™s a very comfortable and capable touring car that offers a very different experience (in a good way of course). Lucky to have both.

30D230B5-DA50-4DBA-831B-027B5020B3E3.jpeg

Sponsored

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
See, that's where I differ. On a road trip, I want to see some fun roads, and there's nothing worse than being on an awesome road in a not-fun vehicle. One reason I bought the 135i was that it was in CA. Bought it, flew to LA, then my wife and I drove it back to Chicagoland via 16 states, 10 national parks, and over 6,000 miles. It was an awesome car for that trip. We even fit our camping gear into it (barely). Kept it for a little while after and passed it on. Net cost was far less than renting a crappy econobox for the drive, and the fun factor was way higher. Plus we got 2-3 extra days of vacation time by flying out instead of driving both ways.
I also had a 135, they still had the great BMW hydraulic steering though that was lost in 2012 when everything switched to electric steering. I believe that is why the 1M has held it's value so well, last of the (more) raw BMW M-cars along with the E90/E92 and E60/E63.

Last edited:

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I crushed a few years ago on an Audi RS3 bought one, and then found myself disappointed a few months later, it just didn't have the wow factor in performance like our 350s do. no comparison

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Alfa Romeo 4C
is built by Mazda. Is it materially different from the MX5? I drove one but I'd rather pay Miata's price.

Edit: oops, sorry. got confused.

Last edited:

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
is built by Mazda. Is it materially different from the MX5? I drove one but I'd rather pay Miata's price.
No. You're thinking of the Fiat 124 Spider. Mazda has absolutely nothing to do with the Alfa 4C, and they are entirely different animals.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I crushed a few years ago on an Audi RS3 bought one, and then found myself disappointed a few months later, it just didn't have the wow factor in performance like our 350s do. no comparison
I also went from GT350R to RS3 and it was fast...and nice to road trip or get around town...what a tool, I Draggy 11.0 on a humid night, no problem. It got a little boring though and I used it as a trade in on my CFTP GT500, which made me miss the R even more....so I sold that and bought another R ;) Whew!

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
No. You're thinking of the Fiat 124 Spider. Mazda has absolutely nothing to do with the Alfa 4C, and they are entirely different animals.
Alfa 4C is nice fun car. I watched SuperCar SuperBuild about it. The price is around $60K. Which is cheap considering the body made of CF. They discontinue it in 2021. It's mystery how Fiat made money on this car.

footnfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
BMW M stopped having a soul after the E90/92 M3's. In the way that Toyota is an appliance for reliability, BMW in general has become an appliance for speed. No soul in either one. Just purpose.
I totally agree. I replaced my 2000 M5 with this space grey beauty. Very similar to my R in a lot of ways, but also VERY different. I love them both.

Last edited:

19GT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2015 4C, 2019 Ducati, 2008 FJ
Vehicle Showcase
Alfa 4C is nice fun car. I watched SuperCar SuperBuild about it. The price is around $60K. Which is cheap considering the body made of CF. They discontinue it in 2021. It's mystery how Fiat made money on this car.
I donā€™t think FCA did. It was meant to bring a lot of interest for their re-entrance however, it was well under-marketed/promoted. From what Iā€™ve gathered, the CF tub alone cost AR ~$50k alone. I think this might suggest they took a bath on the project. Nevertheless, one of the most thrilling driving experiences I believe can be found, especially in the modern age.

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If it wasnā€™t $82k for something Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d like better, but itā€™s definitely the most interesting car to me in that price range. 911, GT350, GT4, M2 CS are probably the best drivers cars

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree. I replaced my 2000 M5 with this space grey beauty. Very similar to my R in a lot of ways, but also VERY different. I love them both.

Hey, it's show off time, me too me too:

DSC00628_1.jpg
Sponsored