GT350R vs 1LE

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I think of my R as the no compromise car (with the rear seat kit) as my whole family can ride along. If I wanted a real track car, it wouldn't be a GT350 or a Vette, it'd be a Spec Miata, Caterham, etc. with only a driver's seat.
That's the nice thing about the Rs is there is more versatility if you want it. This obviously can't be done with pure two seaters.
Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Supposedly the R was 2 seconds faster than the 1LE. If the 1LE was just about the Z28's time (which was 1.16 slower than the R at chuckwalla), that puts it about 0.31s faster than the base 350 (which was 2.31 slower than the R at chuckwalla) if the gap between the R and base 350 remains the same. The gap is likely tighter on Laguna Seca between the R and base 350 as the track is shorter, but it is lining up that the 1LE is about the same/has slightly superior track performance as a base 350.

1LE is one hell of an impressive car.
The 350r was 2.95 faster then the 350tp

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Supposedly the R was 2 seconds faster than the 1LE. If the 1LE was just about the Z28's time (which was 1.16 slower than the R at chuckwalla), that puts it about 0.31s faster than the base 350 (which was 2.31 slower than the R at chuckwalla) if the gap between the R and base 350 remains the same. The gap is likely tighter on Laguna Seca between the R and base 350 as the track is shorter, but it is lining up that the 1LE is about the same/has slightly superior track performance as a base 350.

1LE is one hell of an impressive car.
I could just see it being possible that the 1LE with magnetic suspension and big tires and very stiff springs might be able to match the base GT350 that has a more comfortable ride and no magnetic suspension for one lap. Typical bigger hammer GM engineering rather than finding a better way such as Ford did with the GT350. It won't have a cool reputation or good looks or a unique engine or retain its value, but for one lap it might keep up. I would assume the brakes on the 1LE won't be as good as those on the GT350, though. It should be interesting to see once all the specs on the 1LE are revealed.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The 350r was 2.95 faster then the 350tp
Woops, thanks for catching that. Mkaes the case a bit worse for the 350TP.

I could just see it being possible that the 1LE with magnetic suspension and big tires and very stiff springs might be able to match the base GT350 that has a more comfortable ride and no magnetic suspension for one lap. Typical bigger hammer GM engineering rather than finding a better way such as Ford did with the GT350. It won't have a cool reputation or good looks or a unique engine or retain its value, but for one lap it might keep up. I would assume the brakes on the 1LE won't be as good as those on the GT350, though. It should be interesting to see once all the specs on the 1LE are revealed.
I know the 1LE got upgraded brakes, but I don't believe they are aluminum hat brakes. I don't think there have been any tests of the base 350, so we don't have any data on its capability. Hopefully a H2H will happen between the 1LE and GT350 track pack/new base so we can see the result.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I personally believe that the 350 will not return after this run. Having a new gen 350 would only make Ford lose some credibility in regards to its limited production special vehicle runs. I expect the Mach 1 to be the next higher performance option on the Mustang like the 1LE, with the Boss 429 name returning as the next track oriented mustang. Ford wants to get away from the Shelby name and image, and market the Ford Performance moniker.
You have heard of the GT500 right? Those returned in 07 for a "limited" run. I guess 07-14 is limited. These names have no bearing on credibility. They are all recycled to evoke some past nostalgia. This trend will not stop. I wish they would go back to calling the top Mustangs cobras. That sounded badass.

Sponsored

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Don't know why you guys are worried about the 1LE. The 350R have much bigger competition to worry about. There is the new GTR, M4 GTS, NSX, McLaren, Porsche and Aston Martin.

https://instagram.com/p/BIDHypKDj2x/

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
If the SS with the 1LE package is faster around a road course than a GT350R, kudos to GM for engineering a great Camaro. However, it will still be just a Camaro with a suspension package and nothing special about it other than metrics that will become faded memories as the years roll on. The R? Not so much. It is s nod to the original GT350, it is being built in low numbers and will likely remain a desired car for decades, just like R models before it.

So again, if a 1LE package SS Camaro put down better numbers, it will not in any way diminish my enjoyment of owning/driving my R.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Don't know why you guys are worried about the 1LE. The 350R have much bigger competition to worry about. There is the new GTR, M4 GTS, NSX, McLaren, Porsche and Aston Martin.

Aaahhhh, the sweet NSeX. Speaking of which I got to see another one up close a week ago... this one is Valencia Red Pearl. :love:

27635721303_5b2127bd65_c.jpg

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
If the SS with the 1LE package is faster around a road course than a GT350R, kudos to GM for engineering a great Camaro. However, it will still be just a Camaro with a suspension package and nothing special about it other than metrics that will become faded memories as the years roll on. The R? Not so much. It is s nod to the original GT350, it is being built in low numbers and will likely remain a desired car for decades, just like R models before it.

So again, if a 1LE package SS Camaro put down better numbers, it will not in any way diminish my enjoyment of owning/driving my R.
From people who were there, the R was 2 seconds faster than the 1LE.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This...

I love how just a few Instagram posts from MT already has you all foaming at the mouth with cries of "bias!" "Chevytrend!" etc...shows how insecure you guys are about your cars...that you most likely overpaid for and will still lose at the track because you don't know how to drive.

Early speculation is that both the 1LE and 350R are punching above their weight class. I love this year's BDC lineup. It also shows how far American auto makers have come in the last few years. The Viper ACR will set the bar at Laguna unless the McClaren really throws down. 350R-1LE will be a coin flip. I bet the 1LE will more than hold it's own. Lighter car, more torquier engine. Let's just sit back and enjoy it fellas.
Dont know how to drive? LOL I am pointed by every Camaro I have been behind at HPDE's lol
how old are you? please make a half decent argument.

Thank you

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

I wouldn't consider most of those cars I assume you are talking about to be a direct competitor to the R. Plus, you think it is hard to get an R, good luck getting a M4 GTS or other special edition cars from those brands.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
testing cars without using spec tires is a joke.

most motorcycle comparison tests use spec tires.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You have heard of the GT500 right? Those returned in 07 for a "limited" run. I guess 07-14 is limited. These names have no bearing on credibility. They are all recycled to evoke some past nostalgia. This trend will not stop. I wish they would go back to calling the top Mustangs cobras. That sounded badass.
and the Boss? you truly don't know your Ford Mustang history?
Sponsored