Sponsored

gt350 vs c7 vette z51

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I loved the looks of the C7 and the way it drove. I have no doubt the Z51 is faster, but the non-Z51 likely is not. No e-diff, softer suspension, run flat tires. It's still fast but likely won't beat a non-base GT350.

If you're shopping '14 C7s watch out, there was a containment issue from the factory and many of them blew up. Even if yours didn't, I'd be apprehensive in purchasing a '14. Also, the way that car is geared and the LT1's redline is nowhere near as fun or as special at the Voodoo.

Buy the Z51 for the track times, buy the GT350 for the experience. Read up on Bossing's reviews. He has owned a Z51 Vette, Z06, and GT350.
Sponsored

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
Everyone's mileage may vary. It's really all about personal preferences and what you intend the car for. I have been lucky enough to drive both a C7 (with and without the Z51 pack, the one without had MSRC and the Z51 did not) and a GT350 over some of my favourite winding back roads, and for ME, I preferred the C7, for much of the reasons already expressed by Baron95.

I drive my cars for work, and also beat the shit out of them on winding roads every chance I get. I recently took my GTS on a 1500 km round trip through some of the best roads in British Columbia, for no reason other than to drive them. That's what I do. I'm not a track guy.

Here's another thing about personal preference: everyone rates the Voodoo experience as one of the major draws to owning the Shelby. It certainly drew me into this forum and seriously look at getting this car. I love high winding NA engines, and a FPC V8 sounded too good to be true. BUT... truth be told I found it sounded best between 3-6 grand at part throttle. WOT towards redline was nice, but it didn't blow my mind like I wanted it too (and like the 9A1 3.4 flat six does in my car), though it certainly was bloody fast! The LT1, on the other hand, to me, was just so immensely satisfying everywhere. At idle, part throttle, or mashing the gas all the way to redline.

I get that another reason people love the Shelby is because they're rare, and Corvettes are fairly common. Well, not here in Canada they're not. We only get roughly 5% of the US allocations for C7s, so even a few years into its run seeing one is special.

This is not to say I don't think the Shelby isn't great. It's terrific. I'd like to own both. But since I can't, my personal preference after first hand experience is pushing me towards a C7 Z51 (+/- MRSC, I haven't decided yet).

Best advice is try to find someone with a GT350 who is nice enough to let you drive their car (like I did) and compare it directly to a C7 test drive. Honestly, I went into that experience thinking I'd want the GT350, and I came out with a completely different take. Again, your mileage may vary. Both awesome cars. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Ive driven GTPP extensively (3 years of ownership) and GT350 a little and C7 Z51(1 year + of ownership), and many other sports/sporty cars on street and track.

My take is this. The GT350 is Ford's attempt at talking the Mustang as far as it can possibly go. It is by far the best the Mustang has ever been. And it is special for that. HOWEVER, that is a "bag of parts" car. Stick a better engine in the front. Put bigger brakes. Stiffen the suspension and attach points front/back. Etc. You can feel that the car is a bag of parts.

The C7 Stingray (base or Z51) is a holistically designed car. Totally new aluminum chassis, largely new engine, new transmission, proper aerodynamics, low CG, proper out of the box rigidity. The C7 base/Z51 just works. You feel it is a single unit, not a bag of parts.

The C7 steering is miles better than the GT350. It handles great with skinny 245 tires, because the car was designed correctly. It has the weight (51%) back where it belongs, so it does not need massive front tires to work. Massive front tires just ruin everything in terms of steering feel and precision.

The C7 is incredibly more comfortable than the GT350. The C7 does not need super stiff suspension to keep weight and poor chassis in check. It works well at normal spring/shock rates.

The e-diff running (aided by proper weight distribution) in the C7 is a marvel. you can put so much power down out of corners - it is unreal. Not so in the GT350.

Again, no knock on the GT350. It is the best Mustang ever and it is special.

It is just not a cohesive, well balanced, sports car.

The C7 is.
I feel the complete opposite. The gt350 is the most enthusiastic model of the mustang and holds heritage to all the mustangs and 350s of it's past. The c7 is not as special as you make it out to be. It's the same LT as the camaro in a smaller body with less weight. The interior is the same mediocre interior GM produces in all their cars and it's really not all that more comfortable than a PP suspension (I've actually compared the two). If you actually checked one up close you'd see that the quality just isn't there...

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Yes it is the car should have more power period it's a track car
Right... it's a road course car. 526 HP is a lot of power, particularly without FI and from an 8 cylinder engine. It is magic that they can even get that much out of an NA V8 and still make emissions for the price point.

Would you rather it be supercharged or have a V10 or something?

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I feel the complete opposite. The gt350 is the most enthusiastic model of the mustang and holds heritage to all the mustangs and 350s of it's past.
How can you feel the opposite. That is exactly what I said. The GT350 is the best Mustang ever and is special.

But the GT350 is made by transplanting a great engine, putting better brakes and tires and tightening up the suspension on a base, cheap, pony car. It is special, but it can't escape what it is.

No one who truly likes sports cars and sports car driving likes to drive a car with 55% (with driver) weight on the front axle, which then requires huge front tires. It juts ruins the feel of the car.

The C7 Corvette has a great super-rigid aluminum chassis, proper weight distribution, low CG, great steering and a great engine even on the very basic/cheap model. The Z51's only notable addition is an e-diff. The Grand sport adds bigger tires and brakes. The Z06 adds a supercharger on top of a great engine. But all models feel cohesive. All models handle well. All models have proper weight distribution. (the steering on the Z06, and I assume the GS is not as crisp due to the larger front tires, but still miles better than the GT350)

GT350 = special, best Mustang ever, great engine, mediocre chassis.

C7 = wholistic sports car, not as unique/special, but excellent chassis and great engine in all models.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The only problem that i have with the GT350/GT50R it's low on power and TQ to me
Really? What percentage of the time on the street or track do you find that you are at WOT on the correct gear and still could use more power?

I'll guarantee you that the answer on the street is never, and on a road course is at most a few short seconds/lap on a straight. Even then very few people (non-advanced) drivers are on WOT at al.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Really? What percentage of the time on the street or track do you find that you are at WOT on the correct gear and still could use more power?

I'll guarantee you that the answer on the street is never, and on a road course is at most a few short seconds/lap on a straight. Even then very few people (non-advanced) drivers are on WOT at al.
Each person is entitled to their opinion. Compared to our 2013 GT500, I was not impressed with the power of the GT350. It feels like it pulls only slightly better / longer than our 2015 50YLE. But it feels NOWHERE CLOSE to the power of the 2013 GT500!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes it is the car should have more power period it's a track car

Each person is entitled to their opinion. Compared to our 2013 GT500, I was not impressed with the power of the GT350. It feels like it pulls only slightly better / longer than our 2015 50YLE. But it feels NOWHERE CLOSE to the power of the 2013 GT500!
Which for the most part was useless at the track, if you cant put to the ground its pointless There is definitely a finite amount of power that is useful at the track until you start adding serious aero. Adding more power would require a power adder, which will add weight and present heat/longevity issues, another pitfall at the track.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The only problem that i have with the GT350/GT50R it's low on power and TQ to me it should have had at the least 600 to 630 HP that's the car biggest downfall
That was the problem I had with the Corvette. Only 450 HP? Why would I want to pay so much for so little? And you have to pay extra for "real" vents? :doh:

The car is supposed to be sporty and special, and 450 HP is a yawner nowadays.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I know my 460hp 465tq goes real well.:thumbsup:
[/URL][/IMG]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know my 460hp 465tq goes real well.:thumbsup:
[/URL][/IMG]
:yawn:

More torque than HP - that motor belongs in a pickup or a station wagon.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
C7 resale will be laughable in 5-10 years. GT350 well, you all know how that's going.

Besides that, the C7 is the better car, less unique, but faster at everything.

I'd have the GT350 TP/2017 or R.

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250

Hey thats' your opinion i say it needs more power that's how i fell if you don't like it to damn bad

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
That was the problem I had with the Corvette. Only 450 HP? Why would I want to pay so much for so little? And you have to pay extra for "real" vents? :doh:

The car is supposed to be sporty and special, and 450 HP is a yawner nowadays.

well i really don't care what you say i think it needs more power and TQ
Sponsored