OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Pick up a mechanics stethoscope from Auto Zone for about 15 bucks. You'll wonder how you got through life without it. You can go to to shop and put your finger on noise maker for them. The reason they don't have them in the shop is because the mechanics steel them and take them home. LOL

Let's see what the dealer comes back with, I will make a decision from there on what my next steps are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ruby305GT - I didn't read if you tried seeing if the noise changes when the clutch is disengaged? Someone else was saying his noise changed when the clutch was disengaged, which means the input shaft of the transmission wouldn't be turning.

stangdan26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Ruby305GT - I didn't read if you tried seeing if the noise changes when the clutch is disengaged? Someone else was saying his noise changed when the clutch was disengaged, which means the input shaft of the transmission wouldn't be turning.

That was me - car went into dealer last wed and they could not replicate even though it made the noise the second I started it up when I picked it up. By the time my tech came out to listen it had gone away to be very slight which he attributed to the overall noise of the coyotes. I've since done more troubleshooting on my own and I think mine is the exhaust leak and with neutral load of drivetrain (clutch engaged) it does enough to put the rpms in the exact range to where the leak is noticeable more. I'm not too concerned at this point as I'm not willing to leave the car there for an extended troubleshoot because I enjoy driving it so much not to mention LTH's are in the near future ;).

I feel for Ruby's issues and don't want anyone to see my post and feel it's similar.

Ruby I really do hope Ford makes it right for you - I love driving my car so much I couldn't even imagine being in your position and what I would do. Maybe you can talk them into a 350 at invoice ;).

On a side note the tech told me ford spec in the S550 MT-82 is dual clutch fluid which he said reminded him of "vegetable oil" and they did it to eliminate harsh shifting in cold temps with the trade off of increased NVH. Not sure how accurate that is but that's what he told me.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was me - car went into dealer last wed and they could not replicate even though it made the noise the second I started it up when I picked it up. By the time my tech came out to listen it had gone away to be very slight which he attributed to the overall noise of the coyotes.
I've listened to the engine noises on two 2015 GTs from a cold start-up ... one is mine. On both engines, I did notice for maybe the first 2~3 minutes there is a slight "tick" when the engine is cold, but I think it's fuel injectors or some other kind of solenoid valve(s) making noise. After about 3 min and the idle goes down to normal, the engine sounds pretty quiet. I've listened to mine in the garage before leaving and after coming home (fully hot) and it sounds pretty quiet to me, even when listening with an ear up at the top of each front tire. I had a '02 Z06 with the LS6 before the Mustang, and it had lots more valve train noise (at any engine temperature) and piston slap on cold start-up than my Coyote has.

On a side note the tech told me ford spec in the S550 MT-82 is dual clutch fluid which he said reminded him of "vegetable oil" and they did it to eliminate harsh shifting in cold temps with the trade off of increased NVH. Not sure how accurate that is but that's what he told me.
I've been reading threads on this board about guys swapping out their MT82 fluid with something good on the aftermarket. Probably something I'll try sometime this summer.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT

Clutch or not, noise is there for me. The more I think about this, the more upset I get. I shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense on a new car. I'm so over this issue...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Update from dealer: They dropped the oil pan, went through removal of some bearings and caps, etc. Put everything back together but they did have to drop the sub frame. My concern, aren't there lots of "one use" bolts and parts there? Although the car is new, once some of these things have been torqued, they will never be the same. Can someone enlightenment me? I would like all these changed and communicated given that's the case.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Well if they didn't find any bearing damage, it's not rod knock. They should have replaced the bearings with new ones. Rod bolts are probably fine.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
How about subframe bolts, usually suspension stuff from body to frame should be throw aways?

I think it's a header leak or upper valve train adjustment and they are going way beyond what it should be.

I'm just the consumer anyway, in no way a mechanic... I will leverage their expertise on the matter.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Subframe and suspension bolts are fine. They can be reused and reused and reused.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's a header leak or upper valve train adjustment and they are going way beyond what it should be.
I'm not sure, but I doubt the valve train is adjustable since I'm thinking the Coyote uses hydraulic lifters.

If the noise was in the valve train, I would think it could be heard from the top of the motor near the valve covers.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I'm not sure, but I doubt the valve train is adjustable since I'm thinking the Coyote uses hydraulic lifters.

If the noise was in the valve train, I would think it could be heard from the top of the motor near the valve covers.

Replace the drivers side head then. I don't want them to tinker with anything in there, unit swaps is what I will push for.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby305GT - I listened to my GT carefully after I got home from a 30 minute drive to see what I could hear and ascertain. What I heard was a very slight ticking noise that seemed to only be on the driver's side, or at least more noticeable on the driver's side when putting my head down near the rear end of the front tires.

I also listened when it was first started up cold, and could hear it slightly too, but it might have been slightly more noticeable when the engine was fully hot. Just standing next to the car's near the front wheels I can't really hear it ... and that was inside the garage where it's quiet. So it doesn't really concern me, but if it got much louder it would. Apparently your car is so loud you can hear it without sticking your head down under the car near the back end of the front tires?

I'm thinking it might be somewhat common to a degree on all Coyote engines, and my guess is that it very well could be something associated with the exhaust manifold and down pipe/cat on the driver's side.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Ruby305GT - I listened to my GT carefully after I got home from a 30 minute drive to see what I could hear and ascertain. What I heard was a very slight ticking noise that seemed to only be on the driver's side, or at least more noticeable on the driver's side when putting my head down near the rear end of the front tires.

I also listened when it was first started up cold, and could hear it slightly too, but it might have been slightly more noticeable when the engine was fully hot. Just standing next to the car's near the front wheels I can't really hear it ... and that was inside the garage where it's quiet. So it doesn't really concern me, but if it got much louder it would. Apparently your car is so loud you can hear it without sticking your head down under the car near the back end of the front tires?

I'm thinking it might be somewhat common to a degree on all Coyote engines, and my guess is that it very well could be something associated with the exhaust manifold and down pipe/cat on the driver's side.

On that note: Dealer update today was that upon removing the drivers side head, head was intact, but 2 cylinders had scoring on them. So, as it turns out I am not crazy... The outcome will most likely be a new short-block assembly and replacement.

If the sound is not too loud, should not be of concern. If it gets worse, you should get it looked at. My noise echoed walls and even sitting at a light next to a car I could hear it, in short, VERY noticeable.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Wow, that's crazy ... sorry to hear. Wonder why the scored cylinders? Yes, I figured yours was really loud and noticeable. I'd say mine is probably normal since you really have to stick your head down there to hear anything. But I will keep an ear on it as time goes by.

Was your engine using oil too? Seems like it would with oil going past the rings via the cylinder scores.
Sponsored