Sponsored

GT PP Brembo Brakes Cheap "ish"

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Hello,

So I have been considering switching out the non GT PP brakes for the GT PP brakes, and it seems the prices vary all over the place from ~$1120 up to ~$1320 for the kit. With this in mind, I considered if it would be cheaper buying the components of the kit individually.

Firstly I went to find the rotors and pads, and I found them together as a set here for $267.82.

8SVcDXq.png

Then through Tasca, I searched out the shields and calipers which came out to $609.16.

uCCyVaE.png

Together this comes to $876.98. This seems like a huge savings over buying the kit from a vendor, but I am wondering if I am missing any of the components? From what I read on these forums the hardware, master cylinder, and brake lines are the same for either brake setup.
Sponsored

Last edited:

craig.martell

Threads
Reaction score
Central Coast of CA (20 min from Laguna Seca :-)
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Ingot Silver, 3.55, Black Appearance
Just curious why you want to upgrade? For daily driving, the 4 piston Akebono brakes are great. For track, I suspect that the PP brake set-up is insufficient. If I decide to track my base GT (with FRPP Street Pack installed), I think the better move is to upgrade all 4 brakes with Wilwood's or equivalent.

Given that race Brembos vary between $4K - $9K/axle, I am suspect to the quality of $1100 Brembos. (See American Muscle's "Big Brake" page)

Would love some hard facts to help.

Craig

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious why you want to upgrade? For daily driving, the 4 piston Akebono brakes are great. For track, I suspect that the PP brake set-up is insufficient. If I decide to track my base GT (with FRPP Street Pack installed), I think the better move is to upgrade all 4 brakes with Wilwood's or equivalent.

Given that race Brembos vary between $4K - $9K/axle, I am suspect to the quality of $1100 Brembos. (See American Muscle's "Big Brake" page)

Craig
I plan to start tracking down the road, but for the most part it is a dd. Just slowly grabbing parts for when I do decide to take it out and also gauging some prices. Although it is mostly subjective and maybe biased to people that have them, I heard they are better for repeated stops over the base 4 piston brakes as they wouldnt fade as much. Sadly I don't have any facts to give.

I am also into appearance of the car as well, and the Brembos add to that department with the bigger rotor setup and painted calipers (not that I can't paint my current ones). I figured if I can get them for cheap and they will satisfy maybe the occasional track day down the road what is the harm?

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=9199]LevittownFordSuperCenter[/MENTION] any idea why in this kit it mixes the performance pack 15 in rotors (paired with the Brembos) with the non-Brembo brake pads?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Craig
wrong.....Unless you are racing competitively for money, points and championships, the GTPP brake setup is very, very good. It gets even better with different pads and a fluid change. There is tons and tons of feedback on this forum and these 6 pot Brembo's. Some very hardcore track folks that post here have upgraded to these brakes on their EcoBoost Mustangs that they race very, very hard.

These calipers are not cheap quality either.

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone tried the StopTech pads for the performance pack?

andrew.k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Fastback, Magnetic, 051A, MT, 3.55
Would love to see some pics and any challenges you may have had.

I am temped to add these to my V6 as it comes with base brakes.

It has been proven that the GT brakes bolt onto the V6, however, I have not seen the 6 pot mounted onto a base model.

This would be good analysis, and rid speculation.

Keep us updated.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Boddie

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would love to see some pics and any challenges you may have had.

I am temped to add these to my V6 as it comes with base brakes.

It has been proven that the GT brakes bolt onto the V6, however, I have not seen the 6 pot mounted onto a base model.

This would be good analysis, and rid speculation.

Keep us updated.

Thanks,
Have not done the switch yet, but planning on it. Attempting to figure out the most affordable solution. Did contact Tasca and was fortunate to find out the calipers listed come with the bleeder screw and caliper retainer kits, so that will save some money. Right now trying to figure out pad options and pricing.

Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium

Craig
The six-pot Brembos on the PP are remarkably good in track day applications. I ran them off the shelf and they were superior to the E9X M3 brakes with full race pads and fluid over 20-25 minute sessions. I was stunned and it took a while to trust their performance because stock systems shouldn't work this well. They are great value. I can't wait to try them with race pads and fluid.

As for quality, they are made of lower grade metal, probably in China, but they do have the Brembo name on the side. Would they last a season of professional racing? I doubt it, but I also believe they are more than enough for weekend warriors. Brembo are not going to ruin their reputation with shitty OEM supplied brakes and f-up their aftermarket business with their top end stuff.

LevittownFordParts

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
S550's!
[MENTION=9199]LevittownFordSuperCenter[/MENTION] any idea why in this kit it mixes the performance pack 15 in rotors (paired with the Brembos) with the non-Brembo brake pads?
You passed the test :)

Our bad not sure where this came from but we will update it.

Thank you,
Benny

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Anyone swapped the gt350 brakes on yet

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
wrong.....Unless you are racing competitively for money, points and championships, the GTPP brake setup is very, very good. It gets even better with different pads and a fluid change. There is tons and tons of feedback on this forum and these 6 pot Brembo's. Some very hardcore track folks that post here have upgraded to these brakes on their EcoBoost Mustangs that they race very, very hard.

These calipers are not cheap quality either.
At the moment the GT PP caliper with an AP two piece rotor is really hard to beat.They perform extremely well. It's nice that I didn't have to spend 4K+ on an aftermarket kit!