Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Another camaro troll
Nothing trollish about his post, IMO. Just a different opinion, that happens to be correct. The 1LE SS is faster than the GT, by a considerable margin in STOCK form. You can close the gap or surpass in the aftermarket, but that isn't the point.

If the 1LE wasn't so damn small on the inside, and so terrible to see out of, I'd own one.

Or, if the GT350 was 45k, I'd own one of those.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing trollish about his post, IMO. Just a different opinion, that happens to be correct. The 1LE SS is faster than the GT, by a considerable margin in STOCK form. You can close the gap or surpass in the aftermarket, but that isn't the point.

If the 1LE wasn't so damn small on the inside, and so terrible to see out of, I'd own one.

Or, if the GT350 was 45k, I'd own one of those.
There's starting to be more camaro guys here than Mustangers :frusty:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think it has to do more with the fact that aside from visibility and the subjectivity associated with the interior and exterior. It's fast, and a good value for the money.

No different that the 5th gen Camaro having to concede to the coyote SN197 cars.

Frankly there is alot of unprincipled stances when it comes to this topic.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
1LE ended up in AS. Yes, with GT350R and C5Z Vette.
So much for idiotic Pill's posts who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Somebody's letter to SAC (which _anybody_ can write and in this case that person obviously wanted to have a car that will clearly beat everything else in FS) he interpreted as official classing. ROTLF^10.
Couldn't discredit himself more.

V6 1/LE got classed in BS. None of them ended up in FS.

#20604 2017 Camaro 1LE
Per the SAC, please add the following new listings to Appendix A effective 1/1/2017:
AS
Chevrolet
Camaro 1LE V8 (2017)
BS
Chevrolet
Camaro 1LE V6 (2017)

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
1LE ended up in AS. Yes, with GT350R and C5Z Vette.
So much for idiotic Pill's posts who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Somebody's letter to SAC (which _anybody_ can write and in this case that person obviously wanted to have a car that will clearly beat everything else in FS) he interpreted as official classing. ROTLF^10.
Couldn't discredit himself more.

V6 1/LE got classed in BS. None of them ended up in FS.

#20604 2017 Camaro 1LE
Per the SAC, please add the following new listings to Appendix A effective 1/1/2017:
AS
Chevrolet
Camaro 1LE V8 (2017)
BS
Chevrolet
Camaro 1LE V6 (2017)
Soooooooo. PlanB was wrong? I'm shook.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
You mean, more people who aren't blinded? It's not hard to see that the performance is there in spades. Maybe not visibility or storage lol, but performance.

Am1nal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT w/ Performance Pack
I paid $45k for my SS 1LE. A 350R would have been $75K min. $10k/sec worth it to you?
No, but the looks are! Not everything is about who has the fastest. GM has sucked the last few decades at designing something that looks original and good...

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
December Fastrack is out! http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file.../484/16-fastrack-December-Solo.pdf?1480369347

The 2017 1LE didn't do well in its initial placement :lol: As expected, once a GT and SS (or EBPP for that matter) wears equal rubber, the 1LE is merely a 3SS. Just as the GT350R was cemented into AS after a season of observation, the 1LE will compete in FS with the base cars.

They typically test from October to March to place new cars as accurately as possible. The Bang for the Buck in FS right now is the EBPP on equal rubber. With equal tire, you can take an SS in 50-90 second laps. It was demonstrated by a new driver during last years finals.

The Camaro struggles on tight tracks. Even Camaro engineers frequent SCCA Solo Regionals in attempt to settle the car on tight courses. It is difficult to get a Full Size wheelbase to rotate. That is why the Mustang has an advantage. Due to the GT and EBPP's performance last season, they were not awarded any BoP's.

If they don't require BoP changes in a 1LE class, I doubt many are concerned. I think the SCCA's placement of the 1LE in FS is an embarrassment to the Camaro. That is primarily EB/ stock GT w/ tires territory :lol:

Like I said... all the magazine test need to translate to the real world. It doesn't help anyone when a Camaro beats a Mustang in a test. It is extremely humiliating that the 1LE can't escape the SS's performance:lol: The EBPP nearly toppled the two fastest SS's with quality drivers.

So far, the 6th Gen Camaro's 2017 class attendance doesn't look very big. Doesn't look like anything Pro yet but admittedly, I've been away. FS is the last Camaro stronghold... with a 1LE, a good driver will be hard to beat.

However, the chance that the large field of 2016-'17 SS's and 1LE will actually fall victim to a GT or EBPP. There are a good deal of FS "Pros" returning this season, I think Team Mustang is back up to full strength too.

There should be Hot Mustang teams in FS, FSL, ESP, AS, ASL and CAM (I think). 40% of the field is S550 now, 40% is 5th and 6th Gens and the rest are BMW, Nissan, ATS. It's not impossible for a 1LE to class higher next year just unlikely. It is no GT350...
Damn dude, you're like a Ford mad scientist!! Haha

I agree with you, there's nothing really too special about the 1LE. Throw some MPSS on the SS and it will be right behind it. The ELSD didn't make the 1LE special.. it's the tires.

Well that's just my opinion since I know how important tires are on a race track. Take GTPP and change out the tires and it'll shave off 1-2 seconds.

I gotta give props to GM for making the SS track ready with the 3 coolers, suspension and power tho. Just hate how people make the 1LE see like a track God or something.

Sorry, I'm not falling for that gimmick.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150

I agree with you, there's nothing really too special about the 1LE. Throw some MPSS on the SS and it will be right behind it. The ELSD didn't make the 1LE special.. it's the tires.

Well that's just my opinion since I know how important tires are on a race track. Take GTPP and change out the tires and it'll shave off 1-2 seconds.

I gotta give props to GM for making the SS track ready with the 3 coolers, suspension and power tho. Just hate how people make the 1LE see like a track God or something.

That 1LE has already posted times faster then the Z28 on two tracks, you not just doing that with tires only.:crazy:

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

Tires help for sure. So do the brakes. But the Alpha platform with a track tuned magnetic ride and ELSD is obviously no joke. Whether you think it's a gimmick or not.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Why would MPSS make the standard SS as fast as a 1LE? That doesn't make any sense. The Goodyears on the 1LE are much stickier than MPSS.

And yes, a differential makes a significant difference on track, as do upgraded brakes.

The 1LE isn't some super special thing, but it is a significant bargain for those of us who want to buy a car for a great price and beat the crap out of it on track.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Even the die hard Ford guys should be able to concede the 1le is a lot of track car for the money. Comparing the 6th gen. 1le to the Z28 is a feel good move. Because of how much the Z28 cost. The 5th gen chassis was a sedan chassis. Chevy did something pretty amazing for what they had to work with. With the Z28. But then GM turned around and gouged the hell out of Z28 buyers. Typical GM. I thing they got the pricing right on the 1le & ZL1 only because Ford forced their hand with GT350 pricing.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Even the die hard Ford guys should be able to concede the 1le is a lot of track car for the money. Comparing the 6th gen. 1le to the Z28 is a feel good move. Because of how much the Z28 cost. The 5th gen chassis was a sedan chassis. Chevy did something pretty amazing for what they had to work with. With the Z28. But then GM turned around and gouged the hell out of Z28 buyers. Typical GM. I thing they got the pricing right on the 1le & ZL1 only because Ford forced their hand with GT350 pricing.
Perfectly said.
Sponsored