Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
If you're buying a 1LE to drag race...

Let's just say you're the perfect example of "a fool and his money is soon parted".

If you're drag racing only then the 1LE is a total and complete waste, and the 1SS is a better starting point. If you're wanting handling improvements or "road course racing a lot" (lol...like the majority of people who say that actually go to HPDE's and open track racing)..then the 1LE is better in every way...IF you're planning on keeping the car stock.
Exactly. I really do not know where this kid is coming up with this stuff. A 1SS with magnetic ride, NPP, and 6piston brakes is like the same price as a 1LE, and that is without the GREAT ELSD. You're kidding yourself if you don't think so, sorry.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
The 1ss is about 3680lbs, so its about 55lbs. But you are not going to add those wheels and tires and still weigh the same.:crazy:
Well the SS has standard cast wheels which are pretty heavy at around 29lbs. 1LE wheels are forge, which is lighter although a bit wider. The offset isn't that big unless someone confirms. Even so, it will be around +-5 lbs or so. The 3680 is with a full tank of gas btw.

Anyways, I'm not that impress with Chevy's 1LE since the SS is just a 1-1.5 seconds behind it with stickier tires.

The ZL1 not impress as well since it had two years to 1 up the Hellcat and GT500.. Then again, it's handicapped by big brother Z06 so can't really blame GM.

Although I'm pretty much anti anything GM except for the SS but at least I try to give my point of view. I did give credit to the SS for 37k and quite a performer off the showroom floor. The Pill don't give any credit.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
What was the ZL1 supposed to be then?

It's getting the full LT4 that isn't handicapped by anything..it's getting the A10 transmission..what more could they have done without sending the price into the $70,000 range? They're not going to blow a ton of money developing a unique engine for the ZL1, or dramatically reduce its weight through the extensive use of carbon fiber, exotics and composites..

I get you're anti GM, and anti GM products...I'm not exactly a huge fan of GM in some aspects, but I'm also willing to call a spade a spade and give credit where credit is due.

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
anyways, you guys can hate me, call me names if you want. Doesn't bother me.. those are just my opinions.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Well the SS has standard cast wheels which are pretty heavy at around 29lbs. 1LE wheels are forge, which is lighter although a bit wider. The offset isn't that big unless someone confirms. Even so, it will be around +-5 lbs or so. The 3680 is with a full tank of gas btw.

Anyways, I'm not that impress with Chevy's 1LE since the SS is just a 1-1.5 seconds behind it with stickier tires.

The ZL1 not impress as well since it had two years to 1 up the Hellcat and GT500.. Then again, it's handicapped by big brother Z06 so can't really blame GM.

Although I'm pretty much anti anything GM except for the SS but at least I try to give my point of view. I did give credit to the SS for 37k and quite a performer off the showroom floor. The Pill don't give any credit.
If your not impressed with the 1LE, then what is your feeling on the GT350 since its time is the same?

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
What was the ZL1 supposed to be then?

It's getting the full LT4 that isn't handicapped by anything..it's getting the A10 transmission..what more could they have done without sending the price into the $70,000 range? They're not going to blow a ton of money developing a unique engine for the ZL1, or dramatically reduce its weight through the extensive use of carbon fiber, exotics and composites..

I get you're anti GM, and anti GM products...I'm not exactly a huge fan of GM in some aspects, but I'm also willing to call a spade a spade and give credit where credit is due.
I did give credit, not dissing GM at all. Those cars are fine.. I'm just trying to dissect it for the price tag.

The ZL1 just didn't impress me so far.. 11.5 for the auto and 11.8 for the manual? Well let's see the numbers when folks get their hands on the cars, good DA's, hero runs, etc. then I'll make a judgement.

When Ford debuts the GT500.. it's going to be nasty.

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
If your not impressed with the 1LE, then what is your feeling on the GT350 since its time is the same?
That's a good question. The GT350 with the track pack which is more expensive than the 1LE runs a similar time. I should be hating the GT350 as well but I don't because of the 5.2 FPC. The car is special in it's own and that's causing the up-charge.

The SS 1LE is literally a GT with PP. Same engine, just track components added.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Disregard tire brand for this comparison and let's just use the tire from the 1LE.

So what was the main reason why the new 1LE beat the outgoing Z/28? Z/28 had ALL the goodies as well with bigger brakes, more power, excellent tires, race seats, pretty much everything except for ELSD (had a 3.91 final drive ratio).

I'll repeat again, there's only two different components that separate the two..

1. Chassis
2. ELSD

And if you think ELSD was the key player, you're sadly mistaken. So the SS and 1LE, have the same power, chassis, coolers and the only real advantage is the rims/tires. Bigger brakes (Not even big carbon ceramic brakes either), ELSD are smaller components and they don't make up 1-2 secs on a track.
OK, so let's just say that you decided that you wanted to get a 1SS and put 1LE rubber on it to do what you are saying. You would have to get wider wheels to fit all that rubber. So... you buy a new set of track wheels and the tires. That just cost you around $4K, and that probably won't buy you the 1LE wheels either, but something that is trackable and likely cast/flow forged.

Now, according to your logic, you are around 1-2 seconds behind a 1LE (since you said that tires add 1-2 seconds and the 1LE is 3 seconds faster). Seems like the extra $2500 is a fair price for the ELSD, Brake Upgrade, Seats, Aesthetics, exhaust, and the extra 1-2 seconds... Doesn't it?

And guess what? 1-2 seconds is a lot on a track, so it won't be "right behind it". Turn a few laps and it won't even be close.

I don't competitively race on road courses, so my times are strictly for myself, but gaining a couple seconds for $2.5K is an obvious choice.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
OK, so let's just say that you decided that you wanted to get a 1SS and put 1LE rubber on it to do what you are saying. You would have to get wider wheels to fit all that rubber. So... you buy a new set of track wheels and the tires. That just cost you around $4K, and that probably won't buy you the 1LE wheels either, but something that is trackable and likely cast/flow forged.

Now, according to your logic, you are around 1-2 seconds behind a 1LE (since you said that tires add 1-2 seconds and the 1LE is 3 seconds faster). Seems like the extra $2500 is a fair price for the ELSD, Brake Upgrade, Seats, Aesthetics, exhaust, and the extra 1-2 seconds... Doesn't it?

And guess what? 1-2 seconds is a lot on a track, so it won't be "right behind it". Turn a few laps and it won't even be close.

I don't competitively race on road courses, so my times are strictly for myself, but gaining a couple seconds for $2.5K is an obvious choice.
If you want the fastest track car yeah go ahead and get the 1LE,.. If you want the best bang for your buck then the SS is the choice. That's all I'm saying. SS does well on the straights (tie) and can handle well too, maybe about 2-3 seconds behind the 1LE.

Swap the rim/tires with a 1LE and SS and the gap will decrease. 245/275 vs 285/305 stickies will cut the gap indefinitely. The SS will get faster and the 1LE will get slower which might be a tie. I only brought that up to show how important the rims/tires are.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
If you want the fastest track car yeah go ahead and get the 1LE,.. If you want the best bang for your buck then the SS is the choice. That's all I'm saying. SS does well on the straights (tie) and can handle well too, maybe about 2-3 seconds behind the 1LE.

Swap the rim/tires with a 1LE and SS and the gap will decrease. 245/275 vs 285/305 stickies will cut the gap indefinitely. The SS will get faster and the 1LE will get slower which might be a tie. I only brought that up to show how important the rims/tires are.
So by your logic, the GT350 should be as fast as the GT350R with the same tires?:shrug:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado

No, you won't have the fastest car on track with a 1LE... but you will likely have the best value.

Serious question, do you track cars? If so, I feel like you would see the value in all these additional features.

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
So by your logic, the GT350 should be as fast as the GT350R with the same tires?:shrug:
Don't they have the same brand? I never looked into that and I just know GT350 is a tad heavier.. the rims on the GT350R are lighter..

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
No, you won't have the fastest car on track with a 1LE... but you will likely have the best value.

Serious question, do you track cars? If so, I feel like you would see the value in all these additional features.
I meant it's the fastest in the lineup vs the SS.

I only have done Canyons. My car isn't really suit to push it so I know the limits. I also drove a lowered S550 GTPP and I felt that it handled pretty well even with the P Zeros.

My friends S197 felt more floatier than the S550.
Sponsored