Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Yeahhhhhh. I think you're really underestimating the difference of the 1LE tuned MagRide, and the ELSD.

To answer the question, no. Ford isn't going to create a mustang that is on the performance level of the 350 for 10 grand less than the 350. Would be stupid for them.
Okay let's see...

1SS have the option to have MagRide so let's take a base 1SS and add MagRide and ELSD.. Do you really think adding those two components will shave 1-2 secs off at the tracks? I highly doubted. A base 1SS is probably 2-3 seconds slower than a 1LE.. Add in stickier tires and that will probably shave 1-1.5 seconds off just from that. MagRide, ELSD, brakes, ZL1 suspension will account for about .5 to 1 sec advantage.

Tires are EVERYTHING on the tracks and makes a ton of difference. So yeah, the 1LE doesn't impress me at all.. The SS is much more impressive performance wise.

All Ford needs to do if they are serious about competing, get rid of the Pzero's, HP/Trq bump and that will be close to the SS.
Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Okay let's see...

1SS have the option to have MagRide so let's take a base 1SS and add MagRide and ELSD.. Do you really think adding those two components will shave 1-2 secs off at the tracks? I highly doubted. A base 1SS is probably 2-3 seconds slower than a 1LE.. Add in stickier tires and that will probably shave 1-1.5 seconds off just from that. MagRide, ELSD, brakes, ZL1 suspension will account for about .5 to 1 sec advantage.

Tires are EVERYTHING on the tracks and makes a ton of difference. So yeah, the 1LE doesn't impress me at all.. The SS is much more impressive performance wise.

All Ford needs to do if they are serious about competing, get rid of the Pzero's, HP/Trq bump and that will be close to the SS.
The MagRide is specially tuned for the 1LE and the ELSD is a big deal. Of course the tires are a huge help too. No one is going to deny that. But good tires aren't cheap either.

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
The MagRide is specially tuned for the 1LE and the ELSD is a big deal. Of course the tires are a huge help too. No one is going to deny that. But good tires aren't cheap either.
I guess so but it's not that serious unless you're a hardcore tracker that wants a track ready car.

I used to love cars that handle but in all honesty, 90% of the gear heads want the best 1/4 time.. 1/4 mile racing is like a heavy weight title fight and tracking is like a middle weight title fight :D

I see you drive the new Camaro so that's pretty cool that you're on here. All honesty the Camaro doesn't look too bad and it's the performance from factory that makes it a handful to deal with. Buddies own a S197 and S550 5.0 so I'm a Ford Fanboy in a sense. I'm just waiting til I past 25 (quoted over $400 a month due to age, location and speeding tics) to see if my insurance will go down so I can get a S550 GT.

Back on subject, I'm really hoping Ford will do a lot of the 18 so the 15-17 years become cheaper for folks like me.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
December Fastrack is out! http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file.../484/16-fastrack-December-Solo.pdf?1480369347

The 2017 1LE didn't do well in its initial placement :lol: As expected, once a GT and SS (or EBPP for that matter) wears equal rubber, the 1LE is merely a 3SS. Just as the GT350R was cemented into AS after a season of observation, the 1LE will compete in FS with the base cars.

They typically test from October to March to place new cars as accurately as possible. The Bang for the Buck in FS right now is the EBPP on equal rubber. With equal tire, you can take an SS in 50-90 second laps. It was demonstrated by a new driver during last years finals.

2016- 2017 Camaro SS 1LE to FS

Thank you for you input. The SAC is waiting to get more real-world data on the car before making a classing decision.
The Camaro struggles on tight tracks. Even Camaro engineers frequent SCCA Solo Regionals in attempt to settle the car on tight courses. It is difficult to get a Full Size wheelbase to rotate. That is why the Mustang has an advantage. Due to the GT and EBPP's performance last season, they were not awarded any BoP's.

If they don't require BoP changes in a 1LE class, I doubt many are concerned. I think the SCCA's placement of the 1LE in FS is an embarrassment to the Camaro. That is primarily EB/ stock GT w/ tires territory :lol:

Like I said... all the magazine test need to translate to the real world. It doesn't help anyone when a Camaro beats a Mustang in a test. It is extremely humiliating that the 1LE can't escape the SS's performance:lol: The EBPP nearly toppled the two fastest SS's with quality drivers.

So far, the 6th Gen Camaro's 2017 class attendance doesn't look very big. Doesn't look like anything Pro yet but admittedly, I've been away. FS is the last Camaro stronghold... with a 1LE, a good driver will be hard to beat.

However, the chance that the large field of 2016-'17 SS's and 1LE will actually fall victim to a GT or EBPP. There are a good deal of FS "Pros" returning this season, I think Team Mustang is back up to full strength too.

There should be Hot Mustang teams in FS, FSL, ESP, AS, ASL and CAM (I think). 40% of the field is S550 now, 40% is 5th and 6th Gens and the rest are BMW, Nissan, ATS. It's not impossible for a 1LE to class higher next year just unlikely. It is no GT350...

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
All the GTPP really need are just stickier tires and more torque. The ELSD and mag ride isn't really the game changer. The game changer is the lighter chassis, 55 more torque and some really sticky tires for the 1LE.

Do a tune w/ bolts ons, put on MPSS 295/305's in the rear w/275's front and watch how much better it handles. Nothing special about the 1LE, just a 1SS with stickier tires and ELSD & bigger brakes.
Anyone with that particular mod list on their GT PP care to grudge race at an autocross event once it warms up? I'm not here to start trouble at all, my wife works for Ford and I seriously cross shopped a GT PP before I decided to order my 1LE.

I'm an Engineer so to me it was all about Function over Form. I'll be the first to admit I think the Mustang is a great looking car, but it's performance wasn't anywhere near what I was looking for. Sure I could have modded it, but I preferred to buy my car track ready so I could retain my warranty.

All in all I think I made the perfect choice. My car can hold its own with my Coworkers GT350 and GT4 the mountains. I can daily drive the car to work, and I can fill the tank up and drive over 450 miles on interstate road trips. The mag ride, eLSD, and auto rev match are all features that make it easier to drive this car fast.

I'm interested in seeing if Ford ups the PP in the upcoming 2018's. I recall reading about a potential PP stage 2. As it sits right now I feel like the GT PP is the same to the GT as the Z51 vette is to the standard Stingray. In my opinion my SS 1LE is bigger separation from the SS more like the Grand Sport Corvette.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm an Engineer so to me it was all about Function over Form. I'll be the first to admit I think the Mustang is great looking car, but it's performance wasn't anywhere near what I was looking for. Sure I could have modded it, but I preferred to buy my car track ready so I could retain my warranty.

In my opinion my SS 1LE is bigger separation from the SS more like the Grand Sport Corvette.
:lol:

Welcome to the Ford Mustang forums. :cheers:

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
:lol:

Welcome to the Ford Mustang forums. :cheers:
To clarify GM will cover a part failure on track as long as it is unmodified, and I mean the SS to SS 1LE delta is more like the Stingray to Grand Sport delta.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Anyone with that particular mod list on their GT PP care to grudge race at an autocross event once it warms up? I'm not here to start trouble at all, my wife works for Ford and I seriously cross shopped a GT PP before I decided to order my 1LE.

I'm an Engineer so to me it was all about Function over Form. I'll be the first to admit I think the Mustang is great looking car, but it's performance wasn't anywhere near what I was looking for. Sure I could have modded it, but I preferred to buy my car track ready so I could retain my warranty.

All in all I think I made the perfect choice. My car can hold its own with my Coworkers GT350 and GT4 the mountains. I can daily drive the car to work, and I can fill the tank up and drive over 450 miles on interstate road trips. The mag ride, eLSD, and auto rev match are all features that make it easier to drive this car fast.

I'm interested in seeing if Ford ups the PP in the upcoming 2018's. I recall reading about a potential PP stage 2. As it sits right now I feel like the GT PP is the same to the GT as the Z51 vette is to the standard Stingray. In my opinion my SS 1LE is bigger separation from the SS more like the Grand Sport Corvette.
If you're in Orlando you should come up to The FIRM with a few of us in the coming months, I don't claim to be a track rat but there are other S550's on this board that have times no one else can beat at this track.

IMSAFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS/1LE
If you're in Orlando you should come up to The FIRM with a few of us in the coming months, I don't claim to be a track rat but there are other S550's on this board that have times no one else can beat at this track.
I'm not a track rat either. I actually live in Greenville, SC. I still have friends and family in Orlando so I'm down there from time to time. I'm actually hoping to hit a track day at Sebring with a friend of mine from South Florida. He has a modded GT PP also. I think he's a member on here too.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
In my opinion my SS 1LE is bigger separation from the SS more like the Grand Sport Corvette.
You're not alone. Personally I think the GT PP is trying to do too much with too little. Good road mannerisms while trying to maintain track endurance and it just doesn't do either outstandingly well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You're not alone. Personally I think the GT PP is trying to do too much with too little. Good road mannerisms while trying to maintain track endurance and it just doesn't do either outstandingly well.
I agree with this.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
December Fastrack is out! http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file.../484/16-fastrack-December-Solo.pdf?1480369347

The 2017 1LE didn't do well in its initial placement :lol: As expected, once a GT and SS (or EBPP for that matter) wears equal rubber, the 1LE is merely a 3SS. Just as the GT350R was cemented into AS after a season of observation, the 1LE will compete in FS with the base cars.

They typically test from October to March to place new cars as accurately as possible. The Bang for the Buck in FS right now is the EBPP on equal rubber. With equal tire, you can take an SS in 50-90 second laps. It was demonstrated by a new driver during last years finals.

The Camaro struggles on tight tracks. Even Camaro engineers frequent SCCA Solo Regionals in attempt to settle the car on tight courses. It is difficult to get a Full Size wheelbase to rotate. That is why the Mustang has an advantage. Due to the GT and EBPP's performance last season, they were not awarded any BoP's.

If they don't require BoP changes in a 1LE class, I doubt many are concerned. I think the SCCA's placement of the 1LE in FS is an embarrassment to the Camaro. That is primarily EB/ stock GT w/ tires territory :lol:

Like I said... all the magazine test need to translate to the real world. It doesn't help anyone when a Camaro beats a Mustang in a test. It is extremely humiliating that the 1LE can't escape the SS's performance:lol: The EBPP nearly toppled the two fastest SS's with quality drivers.

So far, the 6th Gen Camaro's 2017 class attendance doesn't look very big. Doesn't look like anything Pro yet but admittedly, I've been away. FS is the last Camaro stronghold... with a 1LE, a good driver will be hard to beat.

However, the chance that the large field of 2016-'17 SS's and 1LE will actually fall victim to a GT or EBPP. There are a good deal of FS "Pros" returning this season, I think Team Mustang is back up to full strength too.

There should be Hot Mustang teams in FS, FSL, ESP, AS, ASL and CAM (I think). 40% of the field is S550 now, 40% is 5th and 6th Gens and the rest are BMW, Nissan, ATS. It's not impossible for a 1LE to class higher next year just unlikely. It is no GT350...
I see your spreading false info again. Starting off the new year just as you left last year.:crazy:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I see your spreading false info again. Starting off the new year just as you left last year.:crazy:
Remember that time when we all thought a car handled well if it was small and could go around a walmart parking lot really fast?

Yeah me neither.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

I'm an Engineer so to me it was all about Function over Form. I'll be the first to admit I think the Mustang is a great looking car, but it's performance wasn't anywhere near what I was looking for. Sure I could have modded it, but I preferred to buy my car track ready so I could retain my warranty.

Another camaro troll
Sponsored