Sponsored

Grab your pitchforks and light your torches, EB vs GT vs *gasp* Camaro

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
yep, you're right. the LT1 being a DI engine, and the vast amount of issues posted in the camaro issues section of their forum http://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=257 are 2 things on the list i tell myself to believe i have a better car
You dont work with di for a living. I dont expect you to know how problematic di for all manufacturers is as a whole or how costly once out of pocket. I dont tell myself anything. Ive been a master tech at ford, my brother in law is a master tech at gm. I know what gm is and isnt. Doesnt mean i hate gm or l dont respect some of the cars they have produced. I just wont buy one. I absolutely like ls engines. I just dont like the quality of everything else around the engine. That doesnt make someome delusional or a "fanboi". Im not a fan of the return of lt engines. I also just realistically know gms issues. Didnt say ford isnt without their own either i pick what issues i can deal with and what i cant.
Sponsored

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
I wouldn't agree that I had my mind made up before posting, I didn't say it but I also love the S550. I didn't know the LT1's were having issues, that may play a big role in this. All in all, this was just a thread about fun factor vs $, while requesting experience from those who have modified EB and GT's as the EB seems to be a night and day difference when modified. I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy of anything, I wouldn't have driven a 5th gen Camaro if you bought it for me. All of them have pros and cons. I only belong to Mustang forums if that tells you anything.

This is how I sort of see it at the end of the day:
GT: Pros; great engine, great aftermarket, more powerful than my needs, middle of the road cost, mods easily removed for warranty. Cons; no PP with automatic, needs to be "fixed" for me to love it (wheels, springs), manual may get old in daily traffic.

EB: Pros; cost, can be modified easily to be near GT power levels but with fantastic low end torque, a bit of novelty to it being an ecoboost motor. Cons; sound, top end, direct injection issues, also needs to be "fixed", manual may get old in daily traffic, warranty issues may be difficult with all the mods.

2SS: Pros; nothing needs to be "fixed", LT1 makes amazing power, all performance options available for 8 speed auto, remote start, no warranty issues, some nicer features like heads up display. Cons; cost, no modding, direct injection.

Anyways, thank you for the contrasting opinions, they give me other factors to consider.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
all i know is that DI engines have had some major issues over the past 10 years. not just the carbon buildup, but HPFPs blowing holes thru cam followers, etc.

now i don't know if DI engines have improved over the years, but if i was to buy a camaro, i wouldn't really be that concerned over it. i tend to swap cars every 3 years anyway, and a lot of problems with DI engines dont really surface until further down their lifespan.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
I was considering the exact same 3 cars when I purchased my GT in January.

I ended up finding a base GT for $31k (as opposed to the Camaro 2ss I wanted being $43k+) so I pulled the trigger. I felt like if I got the ecoboost, I would always wish I had a GT. I do not regret my decision. I bought the car, rather than leased it, so I can do whatever I want, and mods are plenty available and easy to research.

Last, I was worried about the ecoboost motor's reliability if I threw all the mods I wanted at it. With the GT, you're already making more rwhp stock than the ecoboost will make with most of the bolt ons (intake, intercooler, exhaust, tune).

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
dont compare a heavily discounted premium GTPP vs MSRP 2SS. do yourself a favor, test drive both cars, have them price out how much they are OTD with all discounts, etc. you'll be pleasantly surprised and will most likely end up with a 2SS. i wouldnt take advice from this crowd. most are ford fanbois, if you can't tell already. just like the guy below.. 48k MSRP again. nobody pays MSRP anymore unless you're awful at buying cars.

here's a more realistic price of what to expect to pay for a 2SS camaro with NPP exhaust and magnetic ride control

J4kpDFb.png

about 700 below invoice at those dealerships
We were talking out the door, with title/tags/fees and tax which in TX where OP is can run 6.25-8.25% That's where the $48k number came from.

Dealerships dont HAVE to honor/take Truecar, it's a common misconception and an election by the dealership. It's purely an estimate of savings in that general area and IF the dealership wants to pay ball. They can tell you to hit the bricks too and go to another dealership to try to get that price. Dealerships also don't HAVE to take Ford X-plan believe it or not either; and that's Ford's own plan. Most do but are not required to.

No you dont have to pay MSRP either, but lets say you get it for $1,500 under MSRP negotiating which is at invoice; you are STILL at $46,500 or so out the door.

STILL nearly $8k more than OP can get the GTPP Premium for out the door on his Z plan. OP want's a CAI/tune/exhaust, that's about $2k for the Mustang; so $6k net saved.

It's a large chunk of coin at the end of the day. I just can't see dropping $6k extra to drop $6k extra just because for cars that (GT tuned) will be just about the same in quickness and power to the wheels; unless you're in love with the Camaro looks and interior and must have it for the $6k.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt:

GT with bolt-ons will be just as fast and priced less than a 2SS, but won't have the ugly styling of the new Camaro line. I did test drive all 3 of your cars and went with the GT. The SS is very fast and torquey but you can't see for shit out of it and I felt cramped like I was driving a really tiny car. I came from a lifted truck so it was a seriously extreme difference. Also the new style was a cosmetic downgrade from the 5th gen. I couldn't get over the bad visibility and claustrophobia-inducing interior, much less the styling. I wanted to love it because I would have been one of the first 2016 SS owners in my area but I just couldn't do it.

The EB wasn't bad at all but naturally felt slower off the line than the SS and GT. Also I *hate* the way 4 bangers sound. If I can ever get over that angry bumblebee effect I might open up to a whole new line of cars. But for me, it was GT all the way... styling, interior space, visibility, usable trunk, usable back seat (forget it in the Camaro.) This was my first Ford.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Buy a used low mileage Boss.

Dave
Now this is a great idea!!! I agree 100%.
DAVE FOR PRESIDENT!!!
For 40k or less you can buy a low mileage very nice boss and have the best handling solid axle car around and either leave it stock or mod the hell out of it. I have a 2016 GT350 track pack and I love it! But something about a boss 302 looks bad ass. I love them and have been looking. How can anyone not like this!!! You gotta be dead not to.
image.jpg

OP
OP

USAFDave13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89' GT (Sold)
Meh, after experiencing the new interior, I have a hard time with the S197's. I'll probably end up with a GT I'm thinking, between price, engine, and simplicity; it will likely be the best choice. I'll probably go test drive one next weekend.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
does this not look like a hotwheels interior to people (barring wheel and knob)?
My opinion and many others. Ugly.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
The 2013 Boss interior is not too shabby. Granted, no heated seats or Nav, but if your Nav breaks, tons of money to fix. Buy a top of the line Garmin, with a 7" screen, and throw it away when it breaks 10 years from now. I like the Recaro seats, which are very comfortable. The 2012 Silver one, or Black with Red would be my choice for 2012. The GHIG or Grabber Blue would be my choice for 2013.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The boss is a great choice. I almost chose one over the s550. Id have one if i hadnt made the dumb choice to get a new 2014 gt500 instead. Total regret there. Boss is a much better straight line choice for going fast at much cheaper part prices then the gt500.

OracleHCR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Otis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP1, Mag, AE
does this not look like a hotwheels interior to people (barring wheel and knob)?
That isn't the standard interior. That is the adrenaline red package. You can get regular seats just like in the Mustang.
It is ugly to be sure.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
If I was in the market for a new Muscle car, I would probably get the 2017 SS 1LE.
Sponsored