Getrag MT82

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
What the hell is going on with these comments?

The MT-82 in the mustang is definitely better today than in 2012. But it isn't a "great" or even "good" transmission the last few years.

Ford cheaped out in this regard. The MT-82 is usable but that's about the best I can say about it. People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say.

Have to add that the transmission isn't geared long either. It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.

Good grief. Where the heck do these people get their Info. Lol
Don't break our MT-82 Love Circle. Can't you see we have a beautiful thing going on here?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

The MT-82 in the mustang is definitely better today than in 2012. But it isn't a "great" or even "good" transmission the last few years.

Ford cheaped out in this regard. The MT-82 is usable but that's about the best I can say about it. People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say.

Have to add that the transmission isn't geared long either. It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.

Oh, guess it's settled now since your expert testimony magically invalidates everyone else's opinion. Guess I'll have to stop enjoying mine now, dang.

Also, you're smoking the good stuff if you think a trans that hits the top of third well past 100mph is "short geared", lmao.

Chooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Ford LTD
Not the slightest problem with mine. Overall a very nice feeling gearbox. No idea what the fuss is all about.

OP
OP

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about (reason for my post). There are a lot of people who feel the same way you do. But as I mentioned in my original post, I've owned 3 different 996 Porsche 911s, one 997 C4S, Corvette Z06 as well as the regular vette, Subaru STI, etc., all manual, and I can honestly say that the MT-82 is as good as some of them.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
MT82 is shit I don't know what all of you grocery getters are smoking but that's plain and simple fact. Here is what broke on mine in no particular order:

1. Oil breather leaked taking the sealing to the engine with it.
2. Replaced pilot bearing as well when doing the previous fix
3. Oil leak from shift selector bearing (that covered the whole trans brace in oil).
4. TOB bearing which required a new clutch as well to fix.
5. I still get 2nd to 3rd gear lockouts which are common issue with that PoS.

Lucky I have the D5 version so at least I have somehow reasonably short gears. And before someone says I don't know how to drive a manual I never owned an auto car as this are not common in Europe.

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
People's opinions will line up with their experiences.

When I had my 2018, I'd tell you the MT82 isn't a bad trans at all.

When I had my 2020, I'd tell you, Well...the MT82 is alright, not perfect but could be better.

Now that I have a 2022 Mach 1 with the Tremec...sheesh. The Tremec is butter smooth with decent clutch feel and the MT82 is just okay.

I will say I do like the long gearing of the D4 better than the Tremec.

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No problems with my D4 outside of the long gearing. Shifts like it should at high rpm, fine around town. Its no 911 GT3 box but it fits the job its made for.

Far better than the MT-82 in my 2013 Boss 302. Now that one was garbage and really held it back IMO.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here’s a good test for everyone. Run the RPMs up to 7200+, shift quickly on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and report back to let us know if you get locked out. Repeat at least 3 times to get a good baseline.​

I never really had any issues with the MT82-D4 in my 2019 Bullitt, but coming from a 2013 GT with an MT82, I never trusted it. Going into my Bullitt, I knew I would beat on it hard and now with a tune and increased rev limiter of 7900, I felt it would be best to rebuild it before something bad happened and decided to upgrade/strengthen as many internal parts as I could.​

Note: once I went inside of it (with about 5900 miles on the odometer), I did find evidence of a potential problem brewing with the input shaft bearing, as well as the coating wearing off of synchros. See my rebuild threads for more info. and pics.​
Having said all of that, I realize many MT82-D5 and/or MT82-D4 owners have no intentions of ripping through the gears in a highly spirited fashion and therefore, may not experience any issues with their transmission. Start pushing it hard though and your opinions may change. Lastly, check out what the guys on SVTPerformance and Trackmustangsonline have to say about it for even more insight.​

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Blah, blah, blah. I came from a Tremec in my GTO. The MT82-D4 shifts ever bit as good as the Tremec did, at any RPM, and that’s comparing stock MT82-D4 to the Tremec with a JHP GMM Rip Shift short throw. The gates feel more precise on the Getrag, and I’ve had zero issues with 7K+ shifts in 5 1/2 years now. Maybe I just got a good one, but I honestly do not personally know a single person who has had an issue with their MT82-D4. I think most negative comments come from earlier versions which I have very little experience with.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
It is a very short ratio trans. Yeah, it's longer in 18+ than prevous but it's still short. Lol.
Oh, guess it's settled now since your expert testimony magically invalidates everyone else's opinion. Guess I'll have to stop enjoying mine now, dang.

Also, you're smoking the good stuff if you think a trans that hits the top of third well past 100mph is "short geared", lmao.
MT82-D4 Mustangs go 78mph or more in 2nd gear. They can trip the speed limiter in 4th.
If that's "still short" WTF kind of granny gears is CrackHead used to? 😄

Last edited:

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
People that claim otherwise haven't really had much experience outside of the S550 is all I can say. . . . .

I've got years of experience shifting VW and Honda manual transmissions.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the MT82 and was wondering was sort of issues people are running into with these, since I have a 2021 GT fitted with this transmission and I haven't found anything wrong with it. I've driven a lot of different cars, including Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs, all with manual transmissions and honestly I would rate my MT82 as being on par with some of these. I haven't driven the Tremec, so maybe it's way better. I don't know.
I've had 3 different mt-82 in a gen 1, gen 2, and now a gen 3. No issues other then lock out under full throttle. Replaced the factory shift knob with a hurst shift knob and have not missed a full throttle shift since

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the MT82 and was wondering was sort of issues people are running into with these, since I have a 2021 GT fitted with this transmission and I haven't found anything wrong with it. I've driven a lot of different cars, including Corvettes, Porsches and BMWs, all with manual transmissions and honestly I would rate my MT82 as being on par with some of these. I haven't driven the Tremec, so maybe it's way better. I don't know.
The more detailed complaints I've read, people said the Getrag didn't take it well you shifted fast, or with too much force. I thought it had something to do with it having aluminum shift forks, and the forks flexing under load.

For the MT82-D4, Ford and Getrag listed a lot of stuff that got reinforced, and there's been no mention of replacing the shift forks with steel.

Apparently I don't shift fast enough for any of the alleged issues to come up. 🤷‍♂️
I still like the clutch feel better in my Evo. I like the shifter better in my 240SX. My Mustang's transmission isn't the limiting factor in my enjoyment.

The issue that came up was when I was having my Mustang tested on a dynamometer.
I wanted the techs to test in the 1:1 gear, and the power curve got cut short because it tripped the governor at ~150mph of wheel speed.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be honest, I actually like the MT82D4 with 4.09 gears. The issue with the MT82 and the Tremec 3160 is 3rd is a little too short. The 4.09 gears with the MT82D4 seems just about perfect. Everyone makes it seem the Tremec is the shiznit when its not. Why is it that the Mach1 and even the new DH aren't any quicker than the Getrag equipped Mustangs. The gearing is too short after 2nd gear. The D4 is too long a set of 4.09 gears went a long way to alleviate this.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Here’s a good test for everyone. Run the RPMs up to 7200+, shift quickly on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift and report back to let us know if you get locked out. Repeat at least 3 times to get a good baseline.​
I never really had any issues with the MT82-D4 in my 2019 Bullitt, but coming from a 2013 GT with an MT82, I never trusted it. Going into my Bullitt, I knew I would beat on it hard and now with a tune and increased rev limiter of 7900, I felt it would be best to rebuild it before something bad happened and decided to upgrade/strengthen as many internal parts as I could.​
Note: once I went inside of it (with about 5900 miles on the odometer), I did find evidence of a potential problem brewing with the input shaft bearing, as well as the coating wearing off of synchros. See my rebuild threads for more info. and pics.​
Having said all of that, I realize many MT82-D5 and/or MT82-D4 owners have no intentions of ripping through the gears in a highly spirited fashion and therefore, may not experience any issues with their transmission. Start pushing it hard though and your opinions may change. Lastly, check out what the guys on SVTPerformance and Trackmustangsonline have to say about it for even more insight.​
[/I've had 3 different mt-82 in a gen 1, gen 2, and now a gen 3. No issues other then lock out under full throttle. Replaced the factory shift knob with a hurst shift knob and have not missed a full throttle shift since
Sponsored