Sponsored

Fox News Interview with Jamal on the GT350 Mustang

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
[ame]

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 was the hit of the Los Angeles Auto Show, but there’s still a lot about the performance pony that we don’t know yet.

Yes, it has a 5.2-liter V8 called the Voodoo with a racing car-style flat plane crank and at least 500 horsepower, features a magnetically-controlled active suspension, and gets bodywork mods hewn by the wind, but how fast does it actually go and what’s it going to cost?

All will be revealed closer to when it goes on sale next year, but in the meantime Ford’s Global Performance Vehicle Chief Engineer Jamal Hameedi joined us on Meet Your Automaker and we asked these questions and more, like whether or not the GT350 will follow the original onto the track and if the Voodoo fits in an F-150.

A flat plane crank pickup? We like the sound of that, and it could happen, one way or another.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/01/secrets-mustang-shelby-gt350/?intcmp=HPBucket
Sponsored

Tascam

Thanks for posting.. Interesting about the crate engine 5.2 and it'll be part of the FRPP catalog.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Thanks for posting.. Interesting about the crate engine 5.2 and it'll be part of the FRPP catalog.
I would put that 5.2 in a kit Cobra in a nano second!! That would be a sweet ass setup.

ZAGOR64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS company's car.
Not that I have the money right now for one, but sad to know it's US market only..for now. Lucky "bastards.." ;-)

Sponsored

Vickstang

Really encouraging message they keep repeating about price. I hope their idea of affordable is the same as ours.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
"Affordable" is relative. IE, the car i bought last month, i can't afford to buy again today.

jrease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I cant wait to see the first brave man to drop the 5.2 into the F-150.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
I know Ford seems to be dancing a little on the info for this car, but I think they are waiting until Detroit and the GT 350R as well as seeing what the Camaro will bring.

A word on the Camaro... I do not think it will weigh any less than the 2015 Mustang and may even weigh more. The Camaro will be based on the new CTS which is a beefier version of the chassis introduced on the ATS. I believe this will be done to give the Camaro more room with beefier engines as well as improve track width, tire size capability, etc. The specs I have seen on the 2015 CTS 3.6 Turbo Sedan show it to still be porky. The Camaro will of course be a two door, but it will have a beefy suspension, drivetrain, etc. compared to the CTS. More in line with a CTS-V when it is introduced. Another reason I believe it will weigh more than the Camaro guys are hoping is the Vette. The new Vette gained some weight and even the Z06 with its lightweight body bits weighs right at 3,600 lbs. Now a Camaro outperforming or performing on par with a Vette will be a no no. I doubt the Camaro will get a smaller LTI, so I am guessing weight will keep its performance in check. Vette sales are usually pretty good and Chevy will not want to cut into that.

Just a guess, but I think I may be proven right.
I say the Camaro will weigh within 50 or so lbs of the Mustang. Maybe more, maybe less. I actually predict a little more.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
When it comes to rumors about the next Camaro, I tend to tune out. More was known about the Mustang (heck we saw spy photos) than is known about the Camaro now and look how the rumors turned out about dramatic weight loss.

Also when it comes to inside info about the net Camaro, I trust Ford's own spies more than anyone else. I forget where but I saw on here that Dave P. expects the next Camaro to come right around the weight of the S550.

If the GT350 can get it down another 100 pounds it will really throw the gauntlet down against Chevy.

Sponsored

AEO

I notice they call Jamal the Global Performance Vehicle chief engineer and no longer SVT chief engineer. Something to do with the name change maybe?

Utedog7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
When speaking about whether the GT350 was only an American vehicle the following was the answer: "North America , base Product" Does this quote from Jamal mean maybe the GT350R and/or whatever follows will be the international version????

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I thought it was pretty clear that the GT350 will not be an international car, at least not in Europe, due to the low hood?
Sponsored