Flat Rock Assembly Plant Trip Report

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I am a little bit confused here. With all the electronics in the modern cars and here with the new Ford Mustangs, I thought after reading the information on "FORD Media", the sound was "engineered" digital. That would be the easiest way to do it. I mean Ford could/ have recorded the engine sound with different RPM, modify it and play the sound through the loudspeakers, depending on the RPM reading signals to the onboard computer. I thought other car builders do that too (BMW). I mean with the "Soundproof" glass in the new Mustangs, you can't here much less from you surroundings anyways. Did I misunderstood this?? :shrug:

Carney deconstructed key characteristics of those sounds, then arranged the notes to produce a soundtrack that matched the targeted character of the Mustang EcoBoost.
“Using computer simulation tools that take into account the basic hardware we have to work with in a given car – this defines the limits of where we can acoustically take a car – we created several sound concepts,” said Carney. “We enlisted our core audience, and solicited feedback from multiple Mustang enthusiast groups to confirm our direction for the EcoBoost sound.”
Sponsored

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I mean Ford could/ have recorded the engine sound with different RPM, modify it and play the sound through the loudspeakers, depending on the RPM reading signals to the onboard computer. I thought other car builders do that too (BMW). I mean with the "Soundproof" glass in the new Mustangs, you can't here much less from you surroundings anyways. Did I misunderstood this?? :shrug:
that sounds terrible.

why not just get the torque app and play a virtual sound through that?

this fake sound shit needs to die.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
that sounds terrible.

why not just get the torque app and play a virtual sound through that?

this fake sound shit needs to die.
Why put a sound anyways in a car after I make it "Soundproof"? :crazy:
Why ordering a factory Navigation system when we have paper maps? :doh:
Why having a onboard computer anyways? :confused:
I know. Every driver likes different things on his car he ordered. Most of us will drive with music in anyways and do not hear this engine sounds at all. I hope so! :shocked:
Just as a producer in the studio can rebalance frequencies to get the most harmonious sound from a band, Carney has similar tools at his disposal with active noise control. Microphones are mounted in the cabin to measure what the driver hears and provide real-time feedback control. The audio system is used to generate opposing sound waves to cancel out undesirable frequencies – such as low-speed “boominess” – while simultaneously amplifying the “instruments and notes” that reinforce the car’s strength, responsiveness and addictive power.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
I am a little bit confused here. With all the electronics in the modern cars and here with the new Ford Mustangs, I thought after reading the information on "FORD Media", the sound was "engineered" digital. That would be the easiest way to do it. I mean Ford could/ have recorded the engine sound with different RPM, modify it and play the sound through the loudspeakers, depending on the RPM reading signals to the onboard computer. I thought other car builders do that too (BMW). I mean with the "Soundproof" glass in the new Mustangs, you can't here much less from you surroundings anyways. Did I misunderstood this?? :shrug:
It isn't really producing the sound you hear, but producing sounds that 'adjust' the sound that is present inside the car.

Think of it like your camera. New digital cameras don't just take the picture as they 'see' it. They automatically focus, set f-stop, shutter speed, light levels, based on programs that were written to make a picture more appealing. You are able to take amazing photos now with just a click.

Same thing for the sound. It is programmed to filter out 'unpleasant' sounds, which it does by producing an opposite wave that cancels out the sound that is existing inside the car. It also creates waves that will emphasis other sounds that are more appealing.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Why put a sound anyways in a car after I make it "Soundproof"? :crazy:
Why ordering a factory Navigation system when we have paper maps? :doh:
Why having a onboard computer anyways? :confused:
:shocked:
Why drive a car when you can walk??? :shrug:

Sponsored

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It isn't really producing the sound you hear, but producing sounds that 'adjust' the sound that is present inside the car.

Think of it like your camera. New digital cameras don't just take the picture as they 'see' it. They automatically focus, set f-stop, shutter speed, light levels, based on programs that were written to make a picture more appealing. You are able to take amazing photos now with just a click.

Same thing for the sound. It is programmed to filter out 'unpleasant' sounds, which it does by producing an opposite wave that cancels out the sound that is existing inside the car. It also creates waves that will emphasis other sounds that are more appealing.
Excellent explanation DB. Cancel the sounds that we don't want to hear, while emphasizing sounds that Mustang drivers expect to hear when we stop on the gas. Makes sense to me.

Why drink a smoothie when we could chew our fruits and veggies?

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
It is programmed to filter out 'unpleasant' sounds, which it does by producing an opposite wave that cancels out the sound that is existing inside the car. It also creates waves that will emphasis other sounds that are more appealing.
How does it not create a black hole (For whatever frequency it's calibrated at) in a song when music is played?

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
How does it not create a black hole (For whatever frequency it's calibrated at) in a song when music is played?
Because it's likely not tied to the radio and speakers. Just because it's on the same circuit in the fuse panel doesn't automatically make it part of the sound system. If that were the case turning the radio off would produce the same effect as pulling the fuse.:shrug:

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Because it's likely not tied to the radio and speakers. Just because it's on the same circuit in the fuse panel doesn't automatically make it part of the sound system. If that were the case turning the radio off would produce the same effect as pulling the fuse.:shrug:
Thought Ford was using a microphone in the cabin, like Honda and others use to determine what frequency's to cancel out-->:shrug:

I believe Honda uses a separate system (Amp/Module->SSS) to produce the canceling frequency, so it's not dependent on the sound system being on.

I'm not worried about it, unless it messes with my tunes when not enjoying the exhaust & engine concert.

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would be impressed if the had noise canceling when the wife says iam driving to fast. That's an option worth it's weight in gold.

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Ha, that's funny. Speaking of which, does this car have hand holds above the passenger's head?

My wife always grabs that like she's going to fall out of her seat when I take a corner. Hoping that handle isn't there.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I would be impressed if the had noise canceling when the wife says iam driving to fast. That's an option worth it's weight in gold.
GOLD!

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1

:amen:
Sponsored