Fix Bouncy Ride

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm thinking about these shock mounts to fix the jiggle oscillations ... can they be installed easily without removing the shocks?

And if so, do you go through the trunk or up from under the wheel well?
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] ... think it'll help my setup?
They're much easier to install if you remove the shocks, but will definitely help. Removing shocks is pretty easy though.
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I'm thinking about these shock mounts to fix the jiggle oscillations ... can they be installed easily without removing the shocks?

And if so, do you go through the trunk or up from under the wheel well?
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION] ... think it'll help my setup?
It easy if you improvise a bit and do it with the shock installed.

If you have the tools, 15mm socket, 18mm socket, some Loctite, a jack stand (two jack stands preferred), and jack.

Loosen rear wheels and lift the rear of the car up. Put jack stand(s) in place. Remove wheel and find a jacking point under the control arm. Jack it up so it compresses (not too much where the car is off the jack stand). Loosen 18mm top mount and then the 15mm bottom bolts (I was able to loosen by hand for both top and bottom). Pull OEM top mount off and install Steeda mounts. Reinstall shocks and the 15mm bolts at the bottom first. Then press down with you weight to compress the shock and slide it under the two pins. Let go and they should line up with the 18mm holes. Tighten up and repeat on the other side. Drop car and enjoy or in my case, keep wondering where the root or the bounce is still from lol.

OP
OP

dope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I just put these on today. BMR CB005, steeda ultralites, and steeda fixed shocks. I had an annoying jiggle and punch on the freeway and bumps were pretty harsh. I put these on and took a spin and immediately felt the lack of jiggle or bounce and I swear better ride. Maybe that part is in my head, but it certainly feels better. I'd say well worth the cost. It takes longer to jack the car up than it does to put the mounts on.
My suspension package is the same as yours except I have the steeda progressives. I'm going to be switching to the ultralites so I will have the same setup soon. Is that all your suspension mods? no rcla or anything else you may have forgotten to mention?

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
It easy if you improvise a bit and do it with the shock installed.

If you have the tools, 15mm socket, 18mm socket, some Loctite, a jack stand (two jack stands preferred), and jack.

Loosen rear wheels and lift the rear of the car up. Put jack stand(s) in place. Remove wheel and find a jacking point under the control arm. Jack it up so it compresses (not too much where the car is off the jack stand). Loosen 18mm top mount and then the 15mm bottom bolts (I was able to loosen by hand for both top and bottom). Pull OEM top mount off and install Steeda mounts. Reinstall shocks and the 15mm bolts at the bottom first. Then press down with you weight to compress the shock and slide it under the two pins. Let go and they should line up with the 18mm holes. Tighten up and repeat on the other side. Drop car and enjoy or in my case, keep wondering where the root or the bounce is still from lol.

or you can just take the two bottom bolts out of the shock from the bottom of hte control arm and have the whole assembly where it is easy to work on out of the car

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
My suspension package is the same as yours except I have the steeda progressives. I'm going to be switching to the ultralites so I will have the same setup soon. Is that all your suspension mods? no rcla or anything else you may have forgotten to mention?
Nope, that's all I've got.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Been a while, but I am back with a small review. Looks like a few others here got their bounce issue solved.

Here is what I am running in the rear again:

BMR LCA Bearing
DDS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
Eibach Front and Rear Sway Bars
FRPP Halfshafts and Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing
Roush Single Adjustable (Ride Height Only) Coilovers
Steeda Rear Adjustable Camber Arms
Steeda Rear Adjustable Toe Arms
Steeda Rear Differential Bushings (Red ones for now)
Steeda Rear Shock Mounts (for Roush Coilovers)
Steeda Rear Subframe Braces (and front K brace bar)
Steeda Rear Subframe Bushing Lockouts
Steeda Rear Vertical Links
Whiteline Front and Rear Adjustable Endlinks

Mike D. from Steeda was awesome and have been working with me on this issue. I followed his advice and ran some tests. I measured the travel space of my bumpstop and it was 3/4in versus what Mike recommends, which is at least 1.5in. I removed the bumpstops completely and test drove it. No difference was felt. second test was to remove the shocks and springs on one side of the suspension (I did passenger side first) and torqued everything back together without the spring and damper. Lifted the IRS but the wheel studs and it should feel roughly around 25-30 lbs. Yep, felt like it and both side went up and down freely without any issues. So I know my installs were correct which reassures that I did something right. Overall, bounciness is still there as if I am riding on springs.

I have the double adjustable Viking Crusaders coming in this weekend. I also have a new set of Steeda shock mounts for them and Steeda adjustable bumpstop kit. Will be installing those next week after Coachella :D. Then I can report back here on the new dampers.

While I am at it, I am a little suspicious of my Vorshlag camper plates up front and will be checking those too as I want to replace the bumpstops up front with the Steeda ones also. Again, congrats to those that did the Steeda shock mounts and was able to win all day with them :cheers:

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So no difference to bounciness because of the shock mounts Mootang?
Not for me, if anything, it made a little difference, but I would get them anyways. They are well made and does eliminate some bind versus the OEM. That's why I ordered another another set with the Viking dampers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
AFAIK, his setup is the only one that hasn't experienced a pretty significant improvement in ride and rear control/bounce reduction or elimination. It's definitely something to do with the rear dampers in that Roush coilover setup. I wish Roush wouldn't be like they are and actually tell you the rear spring rates...

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
AFAIK, his setup is the only one that hasn't experienced a pretty significant improvement in ride and rear control/bounce reduction or elimination. It's definitely something to do with the rear dampers in that Roush coilover setup. I wish Roush wouldn't be like they are and actually tell you the rear spring rates...
Yup, I am pretty sure Roush tuned the coilovers for a stock rear suspension setup and does not account for all the bushings to be gone in my case. The springs (whatever Roush super top secret hush hush rates are) and the their dampers are where all the energy is going now and can't keep up. Hopefully the Vikings will eliminate some or most of the issue.

Nevertheless, the Steeda mounts are recommended anyways and you should consider them. That extra space between the shock mount and tire are a plus too if you are on aftermarket wheels.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I was able to upload a video of how I tested the suspension going up and down. May or may not help others?

[ame]

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Steeda billet shock mounts are going on today, along with CC plates up front and new rubber. I looked at the Steeda mounts and can see why folks have been impressed by them. They are solid, beefy, good looking pieces. It's almost a shame they will go where no one can see them.

Will report back once installed and see what changed if anything.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I wish Roush wouldn't be like they are and actually tell you the rear spring rates...

I wish people wouldn't support the companies who hide information about what they are selling you. Voting with your wallet is the ultimate vote, after all.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I wish people wouldn't support the companies who hide information about what they are selling you. Voting with your wallet is the ultimate vote, after all.
Wish I knew earlier lol. New to Mustangs and thought Roush was always pretty good, but realize it is a bolt on money making gimmick.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Ford Racing does that too. Unfortunately for them I now know what the rates are, not going to say. But yeah it is really annoying.
Sponsored