Sponsored

Fellow Automatic Drivers, Why Did You Choose It?

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
A sports car with an Automatic just does not compute. Yeah, I know an auto is faster. So is a Camaro, but I won't run out a buy one of those.

Luckily for me, it's as simple as that.

I drive V8 manual Mustangs, only. I just have to pick the color!

And learning to drive a stick is easy, it's not like trying to learn to be a brain surgeon, or a classical violinist.
Sponsored

Galeener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015GT blk/blk
Besides my wife not beating the heck out of manuals I alwo have had 4 knee surgerys so the clutching is not fun or painfree any more. So we went with auto it still gets up and goes I do miss the rowing but hey you can't always have it all.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Yeah, don't look forward to any upgrade to the transmission for 2017. If it does I would avoid it like the plague. Getting sick of all the transmission issues we are getting from many manufacturers with these "better" transmissions. 8 speed? No thanks. I don't trust it. Will probably crap out after the warranty. It's like the Ecoboost. Seems brilliant to me, but I am thinking all the motors will be dead around 100K.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Pretty Wise

Yeah, don't look forward to any upgrade to the transmission for 2017. If it does I would avoid it like the plague. Getting sick of all the transmission issues we are getting from many manufacturers with these "better" transmissions. 8 speed? No thanks. I don't trust it. Will probably crap out after the warranty. It's like the Ecoboost. Seems brilliant to me, but I am thinking all the motors will be dead around 100K.
I so agree with you about the transmissions, but I take issue with your statement, "...all the motors will be dead around 100k".:crazy: I'm fairly certain that my cyclone powered 2015 Mustang will surpass that 100K odometer reading with ease.:clap2: I presently own two vehichicles with 3.7 motors with over 150k miles on them with absolutely nary a problem.:love::amen:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I so agree with you about the transmissions, but I take issue with your statement, "...all the motors will be dead around 100k".:crazy: I'm fairly certain that my cyclone powered 2015 Mustang will surpass that 100K odometer reading with ease.:clap2: I presently own two vehichicles with 3.7 motors with over 150k miles on them with absolutely nary a problem.:love::amen:
Perhaps. But with the EB engine, you have only 4 cylinders, each of which is smaller, and asked to make more hp/cc. Then you have the high-spinning turbo and its own issues of wear. If the turbo fails after the warranty, it will be expensive to replace out of pocket. Heat dissipation is a real issue with the EB platform, as evidenced by recent TSB's.

Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
I meant the ecoboost. Except for a small number of owners who understand turbos and are careful with them. I think a large umber of casual owners (like ladies who don't change the oil) will be facing turbo replacement at the very least. It's an amazing poweplant, over 100 hp/liter. I probably should not have made the statement, but just look around for old turbo cars. Except for especially cared for ones and rebuilt ones, they're all gone. Ford did a great job with them, they will far outlast the warranty, but that's not good enough for me, Give me the truck motor and the 6 speed auto. I might do GT if....nah, more insurance and gas and I'll never use it.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
There are an abundance of old high mileage turbo cars out there. You obviously haven't looked hard. Keep in mind there were not a lot of manufacturers who were making turbo cars back in the 90's/early 00's. There are a lot of DSMs and VWs running around though.

TikiGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I went auto due to several reasons. A number of injuries along with most of my driving being in traffic, auto worked out better for me. Test drove both and just enjoyed the auto a bit more too, but to each their own.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Because i prefer the automatic to the stick. For me it is a much better advantage to driving and enjoying the car in all kinds of traffic and open road conditions.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
There are an abundance of old high mileage turbo cars out there. You obviously haven't looked hard. Keep in mind there were not a lot of manufacturers who were making turbo cars back in the 90's/early 00's. There are a lot of DSMs and VWs running around though.
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but I still maintain that if you want to own a turbo car long term you have to vigilant about it's maintenance, and not shut it down right after a hard spool. It's a great technology, I love it, I have just seen too many cars that were turbo totally failing, the engines are under much more strain. To be honest, I am considering the ecoboost a little bit. Plenty of power and excellent fuel economy. These gas prices wont last... Was just watching some videos of a Ford mechanic talking about ecoboost engines and problems with the GDI engines, warning not to do ANY fuel injection cleanings. The cleaners were making too much heat and blowing turbos. I'm rooting for the ecoboost motors over the others, it's the future I think. That, and CVT's for normal low power cars. I want to see these technologies succeed and prove durable. But I am straying from the topic. I am a conservative car buyer. I want NO major repairs during my ownership, and most of my cars have given me that, except for Ford, and that wasn't a turbo even! Used to Japanese reliability, but you can't even count on that anymore it seems. I think I would be happy with the 6 speed how it is. I don't want the added complexity of an 8 speed auto. I want it to last a long time and not put me in the poor house if I have to replace it one day. I have a lot more stuff to spend money on than my car.

Sponsored

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
^^^Sounds like you want a Ford Mustang that's totally reliable and for the least amount of money...one that will last for many, many trouble-free miles. Dude, you want a Cyclone V-6 Mustang.

lightnin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT
Picked an auto so my wife could drive it.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Some worth having

Why oh why did I sell my '93 Mazda RX-7 Turbo? Spooling up a turbo connected to a rotary was shear bliss. If I could only only find another one of those...rare now as hen's teeth.:shrug:

justinakajuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. Auto
Almost all my driving is in bumper to bumper. And I like to drink coffee in the morning traffic without slopping it all over my leather. Had the PP, now the auto. Much happier 90% of the time. However, there's still 10% where I miss banging gears. But, you can't have both without having both...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Why oh why did I sell my '93 Mazda RX-7 Turbo? Spooling up a turbo connected to a rotary was shear bliss. If I could only only find another one of those...rare now as hen's teeth.:shrug:
IIRC, the rotary engines had a limited lifetime. Neat idea, just no longevity.
As for turbos...if used as designed and not over boosted frequently, they will last a very long time. I've had 4 turbo'd vehicles since 1998 and none exhibited any issues.
Sponsored