ChaunceyM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the kind words!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out. I'll help however I can.
I very likely will do that, as I need to get ready for some summer events out here. I haven't seen much chatter about the Steeda wheel & tire kits. I was looking at 19x11 all around with NT01s (used those on my MS3). Stock suspension right now, not looking to mess with that until I get used to the car and figure out what I need.
Still have plenty of Motul RBF 600 fluid to flush the system with. Hawk DTC60s and TCA3 rotors (used on the MS3).
I also need to find my old phone so I can pull up my old lap times at NJMP. I want to see the full comparison. Worst case I can time the few videos I posted previously and be close enough.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I very likely will do that, as I need to get ready for some summer events out here. I haven't seen much chatter about the Steeda wheel & tire kits. I was looking at 19x11 all around with NT01s (used those on my MS3). Stock suspension right now, not looking to mess with that until I get used to the car and figure out what I need.
Still have plenty of Motul RBF 600 fluid to flush the system with. Hawk DTC60s and TCA3 rotors (used on the MS3).
I also need to find my old phone so I can pull up my old lap times at NJMP. I want to see the full comparison. Worst case I can time the few videos I posted previously and be close enough.
Steeda's rotary forged trident wheels will be plenty strong for track use.

The NT01 is a great learner tire but it's old and outdated now. The Kumho Ecsta V730 is the new NT01. Same characteristics, little faster, and cheaper.
For timing, I really like Track Addicts app (free download) and a Veepeak bluetooth OBD reader ($30). The OBD reader connects to Track Addicts automatically and gives you throttle position, rpm, and gear indication. Very cost-effective way to get good data and timing.

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

Last point: I tested out the Veepeak OBD unit for the first time and it worked great! Automatically connects to Track Addicts and gives rpm, throttle %, and gear indication. I was hoping it would also provide speed but apparently that is gps derived...which is terribly inaccurate on iPhones. I'll still need to get a gps booster eventually.
Any special reason for choosing Veepeak for the OBD? Any particular model?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Any special reason for choosing Veepeak for the OBD? Any particular model?
I have been using Veepeak for 3 years and no issues. On Race Render/Track addict website it’s one of the OBD devices they recommend for iPhone users

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
See you at NJMP some time

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using Veepeak for 3 years and no issues. On Race Render/Track addict website it’s one of the OBD devices they recommend for iPhone users
@GTP ^^^ this is why 😆
I think a different OBD device is recommended for Android phones

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
@GTP ^^^ this is why 😆
I think a different OBD device is recommended for Android phones
Ah. I have Android phone. Do you recall a forum post recommending a certain BT OBD device for Android? So far I use RaceChrono and TrackAddict.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

ChaunceyM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
See you at NJMP some time
Nice! Who do you run with? I usually ran with MoeHPDE and occasionally the Schattenbaum Porsche club. I became friendly with several guy's from Moe's events, and the PCA folks were super friendly even to a guy in a hopped up Mazda. Never had any issues with show-offs or ego drivers in either group.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Nice! Who do you run with? I usually ran with MoeHPDE and occasionally the Schattenbaum Porsche club. I became friendly with several guy's from Moe's events, and the PCA folks were super friendly even to a guy in a hopped up Mazda. Never had any issues with show-offs or ego drivers in either group.
went there in November with NASA. Will go with NASA again this year along with Moe and HOD. Trying to do a good mix of Thunderbolt and Lightning (probably 2 events each). Home track is Summit Point

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Number 20!!

I had my 20th track day a couple weekends ago (work got busy, no time to do write up) and it came with trophy!

Came back to Streets of Willow for a time attack event and ended the day with 2nd place in class. Very low turn out for whatever reason so everyone that showed up ended up on podium.
Within the Street class was myself and a friend of mine. First session, I got a new PB but my friend was still a couple seconds ahead of me, landing me in 2nd.
Second session, both of us go slower than our session one times and being it was only the two of us in class, we both agreed to skip the third session and pack up early.

A podium by default isn't the way I'd want to earn a podium finish but hey, I'll take it. It was a fun day with such a small group and everyone hanging out with one another.

I also talked with a much more experienced driver who is familiar with my Toyo RR tires and he said they turn into bricks before they cord so my set after 7 track events might be toast. I also checked that I can stay in Street class and run some much grippier tires so a new set of Nankang CRS or possibly the new RE71RS will be on my summer break shopping list along with finally addressing my cooling issues.

Last point: I tested out the Veepeak OBD unit for the first time and it worked great! Automatically connects to Track Addicts and gives rpm, throttle %, and gear indication. I was hoping it would also provide speed but apparently that is gps derived...which is terribly inaccurate on iPhones. I'll still need to get a gps booster eventually.
I won an "artisan" cheese for finishing third in at a christmas event some years ago. Yeah, that's a good guess. Indeed, only three guys bothered to participate in that mini-event at the end of the trackday, but one takes what one can get. ;-)

Regarding speed from your obd device: I get speed into trackaddict on my Android phone just fine. I'm sure it's the same speed as displayed on the speedometer, which I know is off by 6-7 km/h compared to the GPS, but that's ok (and I think correctable via forscan). Are you sure speed/velocity is selected as a data source for you in trackaddict?

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding speed from your obd device: I get speed into trackaddict on my Android phone just fine.
How are you doing so? Via GPS or via OBD?
Android phones have a faster GPS refresh rate, which is why speeds shown on Android phones are more accurate (I have used both Android and iPhone for Track Addicts and this statement holds true).
Under Track Addicts settings: there is a section for "Input: Vehicle Sensors" which is the OBD data (rpm, throttle position, etc). Then there is "Input: Position & Speed" which only allows for standard (phone GPS) or external GPS devices. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to use OBD data inputs for speed.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
How are you doing so? Via GPS or via OBD?
Android phones have a faster GPS refresh rate, which is why speeds shown on Android phones are more accurate (I have used both Android and iPhone for Track Addicts and this statement holds true).
Under Track Addicts settings: there is a section for "Input: Vehicle Sensors" which is the OBD data (rpm, throttle position, etc). Then there is "Input: Position & Speed" which only allows for standard (phone GPS) or external GPS devices. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to use OBD data inputs for speed.
Are you sure there is not a setting you've neglected to set in the app regarding speed? It seems strange you do not get any speed shown in trackaddict at all, as even if the GPS receiver in your phone was slower, it would presumably just lead to less accurate results. Also since vehicle speed is afaik part of the OBD data, I'd think you would be able to get that if nothing else.

From
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...063e6fbf0a0af4&p=575455&viewfull=1#post575455:

"""In TrackAddict, most everything will be based on GPS speeds, although its in-app video player can be switched to show the OBD speed instead.

In RaceRender, it should default to the OBD speed (tends to be better for detecting gearing), but you can switch between the two by double-clicking on the data file in the "Input Files" list, going down to the "Vehicle Speed" selection, and choosing a specific data field... The first speed in the list will be GPS, and the second will be OBD.
"""

It looks like I can't see what I've chosen myself in the app right now. I'm guessing it's because I need to connect to the obd-device in the car to do that.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure there is not a setting you've neglected to set in the app regarding speed? It seems strange you do not get any speed shown in trackaddict at all, as even if the GPS receiver in your phone was slower, it would presumably just lead to less accurate results. Also since vehicle speed is afaik part of the OBD data, I'd think you would be able to get that if nothing else.
What? I think we might not be on the same page.
I do get speed, it's just annoyingly inaccurate because it's derived from slow iphone GPS.
I'll have to check out the link you provided cause the in-app settings don't seem to allow for OBD-derived speed. From that link, sounds like the app defaults to GPS speeds and Race Render defaults to OBD speed. I haven't put my most recent track data into Race Render yet so that might be the easiest fix.
👍
Sponsored