Sponsored

EU specs / options / schedule

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
problem is gibbo that when the mustang is now almost at the price of the bm/audi/merc etc and still so much more behind than them in tech wise that its fighting a losing battle.

the current gen was so good because it ignored all the german crap and just said i'm here i'm agressive and have a big v8 roar and it was cheap! (this is the most important part)

now they've started to make it look like a euro box its lost / losing its iconic status and fits/blends in more and its starting to fight the germans at their game with the technology where it'll lose every time. when the base gt is the same price as an M2 as per the video you posted the other day the M2 is better the only reason the mustang wins out is the sound track.

An M2 does nothing for me, sound track is important as is NA power to me. I don't enjoy the BMW's to drive nowadays but out of them all the M2 is the best pick of the bunch, but the M4 is the quickest in a straight line upto about 130mph, then the M5 disappears, but I found driving the M4 more annoying than a pleasure.

I love soundtrack, if I did not then an M2 DCT would be a good choice as they are proper rapid, even more so with some light fettling, but its just another boring turbocharged BMW. I loved the E46 M3 and E92 M3, they were truly epic motors, its why I have one and trust me it was tempting to get an E92 M3 DCT but two BMW's, well I will keep the E46 but the other car has to be a Pony.

I'd trade them all in any day for a 911 GT3 if I could get a new GT3 from Porsche for 115k, but they will never sell you one unless you've already had a dozen or more cars from them, so no chances of that happening just yet and a Cayman GT4 I'd love but then I am back with a manual something I no longer want. That leaves a 911 Carrera, would have to be an older 991.1 NA but then I am back at not having enough power and having driven the 997.2 and 991.1 Turbo's yes they are insanely fast but sound dull and the engagement on the road is even less than a GTR you have to go so bloody quick to feel alive your already speeding into the closest jail cell.

I love the Mustang for its noise, looks, retro and the fact its an icon. Yes if they can make it drive more like an M car then great, nothing wrong with a capable Mustang end of the day, everyone hear has tried to make their car handle better and for good reason, but its generally nicer and better when a manufacturer gets it right or gives you the options as they generally put a lot more R&D and effort into it, though not always the case. BMW M4 a perfect example of BMW getting it wrong, so stiff they were back breakers and had little traction on a UK road, the latest M4's particular with competition packs are much better as the ride got a lot more compliant whilst still being firm.

I could go buy a GTR, BMW M2, 911 Turbo tomorrow, but I want a Mustang with a big thumping NA V8, awesome soundtrack and un-mistakenly recognised as a Mustang. The MY18 still delivers that.

Right now if I had to buy something else it would most likely be an Audi R8 V10 S-tronic, but at 75-85k I'd have to sell both the M3 and Mustang to fund that, would it really be worth it or would I prefer to keep the M3 and own an MY18 Mustang. I think I'd get bored fast, the R8 is like a 911 turbo, you've got to pedal fast to feel enjoyment/alive as they are too sure footed and capable. The advantage of the Mustang its fun at legal speeds, but it can be made to be pretty capable as well.

The other issue is all cars have got heavy, so none of them handle like my M3 or give the same feedback/enjoyment to drive like the M3 does, its one of the best drivers cars I have ever owned, but it is essentially an M3 CSL on steroids so it should be good and certainly drives better and faster than my CSL did. The only car I've driven that I'd rank better as a drivers car is a GT3 RS, which is high praise for the M3.

The Mustang is my daily and for the daily I want GT, comfort, ability to go fast and be fun, but sounds epic and is an icon, this is something really none of the euro stuff can offer. Porsche comes closest but they won't sell you the decent stuff!
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
for all its improvements technically wise I still can't bring myself to like it to me it still looks like it has downs.

i'd rather spend 10k making the current version perform how I want it rather than spending 10k making the new version not look retarded.
^^ this, for me :thumbsup:

Lose the pony here and you could be looking at anything. Granted this is probably the worst angle to photograph but its the one everyone sees coming towards them or in their rear-view mirror. Briefly ;)
my18f.JPG

Matrix2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
As you say not the best angle!! Take the badge out, at a quick glance Mondeo or BMW!! Shame really. Although I am sure it will look better when we get to see it for real... I hope!!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
An M2 does nothing for me, sound track is important as is NA power to me. I don't enjoy the BMW's to drive nowadays but out of them all the M2 is the best pick of the bunch, but the M4 is the quickest in a straight line upto about 130mph, then the M5 disappears, but I found driving the M4 more annoying than a pleasure.

I love soundtrack, if I did not then an M2 DCT would be a good choice as they are proper rapid, even more so with some light fettling, but its just another boring turbocharged BMW. I loved the E46 M3 and E92 M3, they were truly epic motors, its why I have one and trust me it was tempting to get an E92 M3 DCT but two BMW's, well I will keep the E46 but the other car has to be a Pony.

I'd trade them all in any day for a 911 GT3 if I could get a new GT3 from Porsche for 115k, but they will never sell you one unless you've already had a dozen or more cars from them, so no chances of that happening just yet and a Cayman GT4 I'd love but then I am back with a manual something I no longer want. That leaves a 911 Carrera, would have to be an older 991.1 NA but then I am back at not having enough power and having driven the 997.2 and 991.1 Turbo's yes they are insanely fast but sound dull and the engagement on the road is even less than a GTR you have to go so bloody quick to feel alive your already speeding into the closest jail cell.

I love the Mustang for its noise, looks, retro and the fact its an icon. Yes if they can make it drive more like an M car then great, nothing wrong with a capable Mustang end of the day, everyone hear has tried to make their car handle better and for good reason, but its generally nicer and better when a manufacturer gets it right or gives you the options as they generally put a lot more R&D and effort into it, though not always the case. BMW M4 a perfect example of BMW getting it wrong, so stiff they were back breakers and had little traction on a UK road, the latest M4's particular with competition packs are much better as the ride got a lot more compliant whilst still being firm.

I could go buy a GTR, BMW M2, 911 Turbo tomorrow, but I want a Mustang with a big thumping NA V8, awesome soundtrack and un-mistakenly recognised as a Mustang. The MY18 still delivers that.

Right now if I had to buy something else it would most likely be an Audi R8 V10 S-tronic, but at 75-85k I'd have to sell both the M3 and Mustang to fund that, would it really be worth it or would I prefer to keep the M3 and own an MY18 Mustang. I think I'd get bored fast, the R8 is like a 911 turbo, you've got to pedal fast to feel enjoyment/alive as they are too sure footed and capable. The advantage of the Mustang its fun at legal speeds, but it can be made to be pretty capable as well.

The other issue is all cars have got heavy, so none of them handle like my M3 or give the same feedback/enjoyment to drive like the M3 does, its one of the best drivers cars I have ever owned, but it is essentially an M3 CSL on steroids so it should be good and certainly drives better and faster than my CSL did. The only car I've driven that I'd rank better as a drivers car is a GT3 RS, which is high praise for the M3.

The Mustang is my daily and for the daily I want GT, comfort, ability to go fast and be fun, but sounds epic and is an icon, this is something really none of the euro stuff can offer. Porsche comes closest but they won't sell you the decent stuff!

I get what you're saying but the whole thing of the mustang besides the soundtrack is that its a big aggressive in your face creature it just screams look at me and get the fuck out of my way.
Once it starts looking like an anonymous euro box then you may as well just buy a euro box as you say they've had miles more manufacturer R&D in it so will be better.

Mustangs are supposed to be all attention seeking but also cheap and affordable. If for example the current mustang was 40k+ then you'd have seen alot less sales.
The new version while yes you/we know its technically better the average joe on the street who buys it doesn't know/care all they see if their affordable sports car is no longer affordable as its 45k-50k in price range they'll just go and buy an evoque or something instead in that price range.
The mustang to be true to its self needs to be sub 40k and all these gadgets aren't going to make that happen coupled with the fact these gadgets are better on the euro boxes anyway means buying the next gen mustang (facelift not 650) is quite honestly a little bit dumb there's many better things you could spend 50k on that are better than the mustang in every way in that price range.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get what you're saying but the whole thing of the mustang besides the soundtrack is that its a big aggressive in your face creature it just screams look at me and get the fuck out of my way.
Once it starts looking like an anonymous euro box then you may as well just buy a euro box as you say they've had miles more manufacturer R&D in it so will be better.

Mustangs are supposed to be all attention seeking but also cheap and affordable. If for example the current mustang was 40k+ then you'd have seen alot less sales.
The new version while yes you/we know its technically better the average joe on the street who buys it doesn't know/care all they see if their affordable sports car is no longer affordable as its 45k-50k in price range they'll just go and buy an evoque or something instead in that price range.
The mustang to be true to its self needs to be sub 40k and all these gadgets aren't going to make that happen coupled with the fact these gadgets are better on the euro boxes anyway means buying the next gen mustang (facelift not 650) is quite honestly a little bit dumb there's many better things you could spend 50k on that are better than the mustang in every way in that price range.

To me MY18 out the box is a more aggressive looking car, it has a much meaner front-end appearance from certain angles, I see it as no weaker than current one, my only dislike is the hood, the bumper however is more aggressive and hopefully the new headlights will be better than the current pathetic excuse for the candles we get right now.

Also mag ride, sorry this is one area Ford have nailed, its much better than BMW's EDC, in the BMW's the EDC is simply goes from harsh to back breaking and the car skips across the road, only the latest M4 competition has addressed the issue somewhat. The magneride is really good system in the GT 350 and if its 90% as good on the GT as 350 then its better than any of the current offerings from BMW and Audi, I'd say only Porsches latest PASM systems get close.

An MY18 in triple yellow, orange fury is just as shouty as the MY15 was if not more so, plus at least this time you can hear them when in loud mode, they shout louder.

Oh and I bet you the new MY18 V8 Mustang will be £39,950 without options, but for that you will still get Performance Package, digital dash, active exhaust, premium interior. The gets expensive when you add the good stuff like 10-speed, magneride, carbon interior etc, but I am sure Ford will want the car sub 40k with no options. I suppose its one of the reasons why this time there is a lot more options so that Ford can offer a good basic car at a good value price, but then for owners who want a Mustang that handles great like an EU car with some nice features, they can add them as extras.

Show me one sub 50k car brand new that is better than the Mustang, 450+ horsepower, V8 NA, RWD, decent auto in an all nice round package and I will consider it. For me I cannot find such a car, so if they exist please enlighten me. :)

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the new mustang won't be below 40k it can't be that'd make it cheaper here than states ford won't do that. if its below 45k I'll be shocked.

you're right not in v8 format but there's things like the f-type would fit nicely the v6 version will roll for about 50k with very little miles on still in warranty but again average joe on the street who isn't looking at the mustang legacy or the badge but wanting the best car they could get for their money won't go mustang. sales figures will be so small for this version it wouldn't surprise me if its the last gen in the uk certainly in v8 format. ford have gone too far they've pushed too high they'd have been better making a solid coil sprung s550 version ignore magride etc its all pointless for sales instead they should have brought that across in a halo model like the 350r then those of us who want and can afford to pay the higher price to get the tools will do and those that just want a shouty v8 for running around in get a solid base model to work from then they can improve it as/when they can afford it its already obviously from these forums alone not everyone here has tonnes of money to buy 50k cars in fact I bet half of them wouldn't instead they've got a current GT in the mid/upper 30's then may spend 5-10k on it over the next couple of years tweaking it as they go because that is more affordable to them than 50k up front.
Sure there's always exceptions but no for me this new version has gone the wrong way both in looks and spec.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Gibbo/Hinch - you realise you just both have differing opinions here and will never change each other's minds, right? :p

You're both right too. The Mustang is a great "deal", but if it's £50k, it'll be a different "deal" - but still better than most. It'll be too rich for many of us at that coin, and that, I guess, is what it is (and not the first time this has happened - think GTR or VXR8).

The looks are hugely subjective; moreso than I'd have thought (the 2006 car was a huge change, so I doubt this is more subjective than that was!) but we all have an opinion on that too.

But you know, feel free to keep trying to correct each other ;)

PS. I'm a "if I could get a GT3 I would" kinda guy, but the Mustang is a nice, £100k cheaper, alternative!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the new mustang won't be below 40k it can't be that'd make it cheaper here than states ford won't do that. if its below 45k I'll be shocked.

you're right not in v8 format but there's things like the f-type would fit nicely the v6 version will roll for about 50k with very little miles on still in warranty but again average joe on the street who isn't looking at the mustang legacy or the badge but wanting the best car they could get for their money won't go mustang. sales figures will be so small for this version it wouldn't surprise me if its the last gen in the uk certainly in v8 format. ford have gone too far they've pushed too high they'd have been better making a solid coil sprung s550 version ignore magride etc its all pointless for sales instead they should have brought that across in a halo model like the 350r then those of us who want and can afford to pay the higher price to get the tools will do and those that just want a shouty v8 for running around in get a solid base model to work from then they can improve it as/when they can afford it its already obviously from these forums alone not everyone here has tonnes of money to buy 50k cars in fact I bet half of them wouldn't instead they've got a current GT in the mid/upper 30's then may spend 5-10k on it over the next couple of years tweaking it as they go because that is more affordable to them than 50k up front.
Sure there's always exceptions but no for me this new version has gone the wrong way both in looks and spec.

Lets see, I think EU pricing is announced within the next two weeks, that will give us a better idea of GBP price as that shall be for our model.

Ford UK shocked us all, maybe too much for their own good because they gave us a truly insane bargain with the launch of S550 in the UK, those who has deposits down got bargains, I know for sure the car I paid £35,385 for with all options was a bargain I won't see repeated on MY18.

But I know from a marketing perspective Ford UK are going to want to have the base V8 at under 40k, all exports are cheaper to manufacturer because the specification is the same, they are all PP, they are all premier interior and all have digital dash and active exhaust. Though they are some pricey options on a US car, they are the base for exports which somewhat help Ford save cost as the ability to customise an export model is limited, thus streamlining the process which helps reduce cost. Ford know the export market would never accept a Mustang with base interior and basic infotainment, even it is was silly cheap the reviewers would slag it off and thus only enthusiast would buy, which is a smaller segment of their market than we would all like to admit.

I think base V8 will be closer to 40k, than it is 45k, but hey we can put a bet on that, how about this:

If the V8 base price is closer to 40k than 45k, you give me £50 for my blue engine covers, if the price for a V8 base is closer to 45k like you say it is, you get my blue covers for free. Thats a bet that you pretty much win either way. ;)

Sorry the Jag F-Type does nothing for me, if I was buying a car in that class for 50k, you already said it yourself, a BMW M2 or Porsche Cayman shits all over the F-type. To be honest I loved the F-type, particular the Coupe, but when I drove one I was left thinking, well that was not that good. If I was spending 50k on a new or nearly new car then I'd be settling for a BMW M2 or Cayman S of some kind and would probably lean more towards the Cayman.

Thing is, I want a bit if American muscle thats being tamed by the EU but still with a stonking V8 up front, that still gets passers by grabbing their phones and signalling you to give it a rev or boot it, the MY18 I feel will achieve this every bit as well as the current model. :)

Gibbo/Hinch - you realise you just both have differing opinions here and will never change each other's minds, right? :p

You're both right too. The Mustang is a great "deal", but if it's £50k, it'll be a different "deal" - but still better than most. It'll be too rich for many of us at that coin, and that, I guess, is what it is (and not the first time this has happened - think GTR or VXR8).

The looks are hugely subjective; moreso than I'd have thought (the 2006 car was a huge change, so I doubt this is more subjective than that was!) but we all have an opinion on that too.

But you know, feel free to keep trying to correct each other ;)

PS. I'm a "if I could get a GT3 I would" kinda guy, but the Mustang is a nice, £100k cheaper, alternative!

Spot on.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seem's Bill is getting one too. :D

[ame]

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Prediction;

Base V8 - £38,995

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prediction;

Base V8 - £38,995
Lets play a game. :D

My prediction:
Base V8 - £39,950

- 10-speed: £1590
- Mag ride: £1550
- Recaros: £1750
- Carbon Pack: £950
- Radar Cruise: £350
- Custom Chrome / Black Packs: £1750

I think Ford will use options well as a lot of owners are going to select items like 10-speed, custom pack etc. which quickly puts you at 45k.

I've just noticed Ford UK have updated their configurator, the same car I paid £35,385 now cost £40,485, so how they quietly increased pricing again? Thats a £5100 increase since I purchased my car 18 months ago!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I'll take that pricing bet mine current was just a shade under 38k after a few price increases.
specced the same or as close as i could get on the yank configurator was just below 50k dollars there's no way that'll translate to even close to 40k uk since most companies work on 1:1 conversion rates as you should well know with IT products.

Don't get me wrong if I didn't have a mustang at current i'd be all over the new version but for me personally there's zero reason to upgrade from what I currently have none of those features are really sale makers and lets face it if I was spending what I fully expect to be 50k on a car I'd just go and buy something like a GTR I can live without the V8 I wanted the mustang as a cheap little play around car buy it thrash it it was cheap enough to be an impulse buy but 40k is kinda my throw away level after that I may as well go the whole hog and get something nicer / premium so for me the next stage will probably be a DB11.

That and I genuinely do hate the way it looks I loved the latter s197's and our current gen but no amount of tech will polish a turd.
kinda looks far too much like this to me.
31511114107271600x1060_0.jpg

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
my prediction is base is going to come in at £44995

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
my prediction is base is going to come in at £44995
Will be really interesting to see what happens with sales vs the 15-17. At £45k, I would say that's out of reach for a lot of people looking for a good value brand new sports coupe.

When the original prices came out for the UK and I considered ordering, at £28,995 I was like "f*ck me, I could actually afford my dream car". Truth be told it was well over my initial budget of around £20k but the wait between ordering & production gave me the time to save that deposit. Had the EB been at £35k+ I doubt very much I would be here.

Point is, maybe Ford are getting a little greedy because they know they can shift these at the higher price (the upgrades & new tech justifies that), but I do wonder if they may be missing the point of the Mustang a bit - the whole original ethos was a "fast, fun & affordable" alternative to much more expensive options.

For me, as nice as it is, a £45k all singing, all dancing, super advanced Mustang is not that, let's see what happens though ay!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be really interesting to see what happens with sales vs the 15-17. At £45k, I would say that's out of reach for a lot of people looking for a good value brand new sports coupe.

When the original prices came out for the UK and I considered ordering, at £28,995 I was like "f*ck me, I could actually afford my dream car". Truth be told it was well over my initial budget of around £20k but the wait between ordering & production gave me the time to save that deposit. Had the EB been at £35k+ I doubt very much I would be here.

Point is, maybe Ford are getting a little greedy because they know they can shift these at the higher price (the upgrades & new tech justifies that), but I do wonder if they may be missing the point of the Mustang a bit - the whole original ethos was a "fast, fun & affordable" alternative to much more expensive options.

For me, as nice as it is, a £45k all singing, all dancing, super advanced Mustang is not that, let's see what happens though ay!

Agreed, a base V8 needs to sit just under 40k, otherwise its not the value bargain they normally are.

if they are 45k base, it is very quickly 50k plus with the desirable options, for many in the UK who just want a nice fast car, well as already mentioned Jag now have an F-Type albeit a 2.0l, Porsche have Cayman S, BMW have the M2 or you can buy a TT RS, which are all around the 50k mark. Though I will admit the Mustang for what you get even at that money is better value, many will see it as not so and as such go and buy the German car.
Sponsored