Engine "Rattle"

MastrHU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
My boss actually has a rattle that comes up through the transmission, and uses the shift knob as an amplifier that sounds very familiar to what you're describing. You should be able to remove the shift knob pretty quickly, try that.

I get this type of rattle. It sounds like it's coming from the transmission , not the shifter. When I roll my windows down and shut the exhaust valve, it's more noticeable. It does go away after the car heats up.
Sponsored

svtgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
shifter/transmission noise

Only in second there is a vibration/whine and the noise seems to go away if I gently push the shifter to the right

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I hear the rattle from around 2-3k even after the engine is warm. It's quite noticeable. Not sure if it's valve train or perhaps something under the hood is resonating. I can easily modulate the sound with the throttle. Seems to only happen under load but I havent tried to repro it yet with the car stationary. I'll try to track it down this weekend when I do first oil change.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your oil temp staying at 135 is an entirely different concern - it shouldn't stay that low.

You're not going to hear it on startup, generally. It's going to be accelerating at very moderate load. OEMs try to avoid it but it's surprising how many engines actually do it before they are warm. Not that this is definitely what he's hearing - that's not what I'm saying, just offering something to listen for.
Like I said, I know what piston slap sounds like and I've had a worn out vehicle that had piston slap before. It happened on cold startup in below zero weather and under light load for a few minutes in those conditions.

What basis do you have for your oil temperature statement? Are you an engineer that worked on the GT350 engine and engine oil cooler design?

OP
OP
jaubrey

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I hear the rattle from around 2-3k even after the engine is warm. It's quite noticeable. Not sure if it's valve train or perhaps something under the hood is resonating. I can easily modulate the sound with the throttle. Seems to only happen under load but I havent tried to repro it yet with the car stationary. I'll try to track it down this weekend when I do first oil change.
That is it exactly...modulate the noise with the throttle around 2-3K!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Ox White OTT blue stripes, tech pack
I had a "rattle" ( sounded like something metal hitting the frame). The dealer found the problem to be a bolt had been left out of a bracket holding the return line from the oil cooler.

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
Glad I found this thread...

I have 2300 miles on mine and I have the same rattle.
When cold, it can start as early as 1800 rpm, depending on use of the throttle.
Tends to lessen as the motor warms up, but it is always there.
Goes away at higher and higher rpm as it warms up, too.
But always in the 2000 to 3000rpm range.

I mentioned on the SVTPerformance forum and had lots of ideas, but nothing that gets close to what I hear except for maybe piston slap/rattle.

Took it to my dealer and they don't even hear the noise.... Sigh...
If anyone hears something definitive about what this is or what can be done about it, I'd be interested, for sure. It's mostly annoying at this point.

Love the car. It's my daily driver now.
I traded in my '13 GT500 with 65,000 miles on it.

FWIW,
Kirby

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Like I said, I know what piston slap sounds like and I've had a worn out vehicle that had piston slap before. It happened on cold startup in below zero weather and under light load for a few minutes in those conditions.

What basis do you have for your oil temperature statement? Are you an engineer that worked on the GT350 engine and engine oil cooler design?
You know what it sounds like, good - did you know is that even some new, not worn out engines exhibit some piston slap when cold. If this is one of those engines, I don't know. I'm just offering something to listen for.

No, I'm not an engineer. My basis is years of experience - knowing that a thermostat is going to force the coolant (which regulates the oil temperature to a degree) up to operating temperature. Oh, and page 8 of the owner supplement, since you sound so smug and require proof from engineers. It states that engine RPM is limited until oil temperature is over 190 - which tells me that the engineers feel that oil operating temperature should be at least 190. I should ask, are you talking C or F?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5tvPcxODKAhWDWx4KHaNyCJgQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordservicecontent.com%2FFord_Content%2FCatalog%2Fowner_information%2F2015-2016-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_07_2015.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEXTFlS09h-Ym2o-_23VVUCRqXvGA&sig2=dGGtWNkfPX9c4voq-jb9wA&bvm=bv.113370389,d.dmo

Again, not being an engineer - Perhaps the oil cooler is out performing the engine running temperature? It does seem like a problem that it could prevent the engine from ever achieving normal operating temperature...but again, I'm no engineer. Don't get it checked, fine with me - just an observation based on what little information I have. You don't have to get so :brokenheart:.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You know what it sounds like, good - did you know is that even some new, not worn out engines exhibit some piston slap when cold. If this is one of those engines, I don't know. I'm just offering something to listen for..
I do remember piston slap when cold being a negative about some of the LS motors. I definitely have started my Voodoo in cold enough conditions to get piston slap if it was going to happen. I do understand there are tolerances in any manufactured assembly, so some people could have more or less of a problem than others.

No, I'm not an engineer. My basis is years of experience - knowing that a thermostat is going to force the coolant (which regulates the oil temperature to a degree) up to operating temperature. Oh, and page 8 of the owner supplement, since you sound so smug and require proof from engineers. It states that engine RPM is limited until oil temperature is over 190 - which tells me that the engineers feel that oil operating temperature should be at least 190. I should ask, are you talking C or F?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dGGtWNkfPX9c4voq-jb9wA&bvm=bv.113370389,d.dmo

Again, not being an engineer - Perhaps the oil cooler is out performing the engine running temperature? It does seem like a problem that it could prevent the engine from ever achieving normal operating temperature...but again, I'm no engineer. Don't get it checked, fine with me - just an observation based on what little information I have. You don't have to get so :brokenheart:.
You stated essentially that something was wrong with my car due to the oil temperature, but obviously you have no basis for that. I just wanted to be clear that you are speculating - making an assumption that something is wrong with a brand new car. My assumption is everything is fine. Your post above didn't change that.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I do remember piston slap when cold being a negative about some of the LS motors. I definitely have started my Voodoo in cold enough conditions to get piston slap if it was going to happen. I do understand there are tolerances in any manufactured assembly, so some people could have more or less of a problem than others.

You stated essentially that something was wrong with my car due to the oil temperature, but obviously you have no basis for that. I just wanted to be clear that you are speculating - making an assumption that something is wrong with a brand new car. My assumption is everything is fine. Your post above didn't change that.
A friendly, "You should check into that" isn't telling you something is wrong with the car. You pointedly asked if I was an engineer - I am not but I provided some specifications from Ford that...I think...warrants a look. As you said, it could be completely normal. I don't even have a car to compare it to, at this point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is true - some people never hear it and some people have it from day one (on other models...not proven with the 5.2). It actually exists on many engines before they warm up - it's not audible over in the cabin or over other engine sounds. I've always suspected that this is one of the reasons that many manufacturers ECUs give a certain amount of time or a certain engine temperature before considering input from knock sensors.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A friendly, "You should check into that" isn't telling you something is wrong with the car. You pointedly asked if I was an engineer - I am not but I provided some specifications from Ford that...I think...warrants a look. I really don't care at all if you ignore it and as you said, it could be completely normal. I don't even have a car to compare it to, at this point.
Thanks for explaining it was friendly. :) I could not tell that it was friendly from the text.

I understand you are concerned and the number doesn't seem right to you. My car has run quite well and I'm not too worried (and if you knew me you would understand that I do tend to be a worrier!). After driving the Coyote daily and in much colder below zero temperatures such as -25F and colder, I believe that Ford has a clue what they are doing with respect to making an engine function in those conditions.

Like I said before - I'm also not used to having an oil temp gage right in my face. It's hard to ignore it and relax/trust that the engineers at Ford did their jobs. After driving hundreds of miles in below zero weather I don't think it's a fluke. I did stop driving the car in super cold weather and I changed the oil early partially due to seeing that low number. I've considered putting something in front of the oil cooler to help get the oil temperature up a little, but I don't want to rush it and mess up the car even cosmetically.

I remember a video posted on here where they showed specifically the GT350 on a dyno running at super cold temperatures and with lots of snow forced into the engine intake. I think Ford did their homework.

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
Has anyone found anything more definitive about this? It was in the 30's today on the drive to work and it was more noticeable than usual.

I haven't taken the cover off underneath to check for loose bolts yet.

ThundrPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
Can somebody post a video of the sound? It's something to be concerned about but it could be standard operating procedure for the vehicle.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have it as well, 100 miles on the car, it honestly sounds like a resonance of some sort. You can really only hear it in normal mode with the windows up and not loading the engine too much. In the 2-3k rpm range
Sponsored