Sponsored

Engine "Rattle"

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
At 750 miles, I am noticing an engine rattle or noise right around 2800 to 3200 rpms. I was thinking I might be hearing things, but my wife noticed it also. Seems to get less noticeable once the Oil Temp hits 200 degrees. I was thinking it might be a loose heat shield or something vibrating, but now something internal...gonna take it to the dealer, but wondering if anyone else had same issue.
Sponsored

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
What throttle position(s)? Does it happen with the clutch disengaged? Can you be more specific as to the sound, e.g. stirring a bucket of nails, shaking a bb in a can, etc.

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
I noticed it on mine at about 2,400 at light throttle. Heavier throttle makes it go away. Mostly when cold. When it's warm I only noticed it once around the range you mentioned.

I also noticed whenever I shut the engine off there's a pop coming from the intake.

Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nope, but please let us know what you find out so we can watch for it.

OP
OP
jaubrey

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What throttle position(s)? Does it happen with the clutch disengaged? Can you be more specific as to the sound, e.g. stirring a bucket of nails, shaking a bb in a can, etc.
Only happens when slowly accelerating through 2800 to around 3200 in 1st and Second gear..maybe third. The sound is like a metal vibration, a rattle. Too fast to be valves tapping, and more high-pitched..not really loud, but noticeable...I tried with clutch dis-engaged and it does it also.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Only happens when slowly accelerating through 2800 to around 3200 in 1st and Second gear..maybe third. The sound is like a metal vibration, a rattle. Too fast to be valves tapping, and more high-pitched..not really loud, but noticeable...I tried with clutch dis-engaged and it does it also.
My boss actually has a rattle that comes up through the transmission, and uses the shift knob as an amplifier that sounds very familiar to what you're describing. You should be able to remove the shift knob pretty quickly, try that.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Quiet, this car ain't.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It could be piston slap. Some Coyote and Boss engines do it a little until they are warmed up. Good reason to let it warm up a few minutes before you drive it.

I'd have to hear it. Where in South Florida are you? I'm in Tampa area.

Sponsored

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
It could be piston slap. Some Coyote and Boss engines do it a little until they are warmed up. Good reason to let it warm up a few minutes before you drive it.

I'd have to hear it. Where in South Florida are you? I'm in Tampa area.
It doesn't sound like piston slap to me. It's more of a rattle like a timing chain or something. I thought it might be slap as well since it's been in the 40's and 50's here in the morning, but even when I saw over 190 oil temp I could still hear it at 2800ish. It was much fainter at that RPM. I had to turn the exhaust to normal mode then to hear it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It doesn't sound like piston slap to me. It's more of a rattle like a timing chain or something. I thought it might be slap as well since it's been in the 40's and 50's here in the morning, but even when I saw over 190 oil temp I could still hear it at 2800ish. It was much fainter at that RPM. I had to turn the exhaust to normal mode then to hear it.
I've had worn out vehicles with piston slap, and I've never heard piston slap on the GT350 - even on startup in below zero weather. The last few months my oil temperature has never gotten above 135 or so.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've had worn out vehicles with piston slap, and I've never heard piston slap on the GT350 - even on startup in below zero weather. The last few months my oil temperature has never gotten above 135 or so.
Your oil temp staying at 135 is an entirely different concern - it shouldn't stay that low.

You're not going to hear it on startup, generally. It's going to be accelerating at very moderate load. OEMs try to avoid it but it's surprising how many engines actually do it before they are warm. Not that this is definitely what he's hearing - that's not what I'm saying, just offering something to listen for.