Sponsored

Ecoboost Engine Blown?

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and even after all that, it still doesn't even talk about power adding parts
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.
Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
can you show me where it talks about power adders or anything but scheduled maintenance parts?

either I'm blind, or you're talking out of your bum.

coming from the subaru turbo world, I've seen this happen only about eleventy billion times. some went as far as class action lawsuits. it's been 12 years since wrx's/sti's started blowing up, we're still waiting for the magmoss to help us all. holding breath even
Sponsored

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
Oh yeah, that really helped all these guys paying out of pocket for their blown engines.
So helpful

*edit:
here's the best part:

Thanks for your help, it's invaluable.
I don't know who "all these guys" with blown engines are. This topic was posted by one guy. I have no idea what legal actions he decided to take if any.

You asked what makes makes the burden of proof go to the manufacturer and I posted it. You want advice... Lawyer up if you feel you're getting screwed. Period.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
okay west coast.... it's a little later here. You can argue among yourselves.

Guess you all will have to keep you cars stock over there to save your warranty.

I don't have the problem here in IL. We have good dealers that take care of repeat customers like gold. Call it fraud call it whatever you all want. All I know is if I had a tune loaded and a intake spacer and something major blew.... I would have it covered under MY warranty. My dealer wouldn't throw me under the bus and report to Ford that I had a tune. I guess we have it good here.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not calling it fraud or anything like that.

Heck, I don't even want to argue with you, I wish I could agree from experience, but I can't, that's just not how it plays out most the time.

it just bothers me to see people on the sidelines, the exceptions to the "rule", telling guys like OP: "oh you just went to the wrong dealer" or "oh you should just keep repeating "magmoss act" and they'll take care of it" when in reality that doesn't work for most cases.

When the rubber meets the road, warranty gets denied, because you didn't play by the stealerships rules, and 9 times out of 10 you can't or wont do anything about it.

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Mod at your own risk

This has been discussed to death and the bottom line is, if you mod your car, you void the warranty for any issues that include the mod.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40415

Note that some of the posters in the thread I linked to work for Ford service departments and are very familiar with how warranty claims are handled.

Jim

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mattrix

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
This has been discussed to death and the bottom line is, if you mod your car, you void the warranty for any issues that include the mod.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40415

Note that some of the posters in the thread I linked to work for Ford service departments and are very familiar with how warranty claims are handled.

Jim
Exactly!

I've learned a ton in the last couple months about all this and everyone needs to be informed. It's going to take me a year to pay off a credit card this motor is going on. I'm going to be so broke for the next year. Hard to drive around and do cool things and go to car shows when you have no damn money.

Make sure you watch this video. Paste it everywhere you can anytime someone doesn't believe this shit.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]wW25ZxVPqxg[/MEDIA]"]

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I'm not calling it fraud or anything like that.

Heck, I don't even want to argue with you, I wish I could agree from experience, but I can't, that's just not how it plays out most the time.

it just bothers me to see people on the sidelines, the exceptions to the "rule", telling guys like OP: "oh you just went to the wrong dealer" or "oh you should just keep repeating "magmoss act" and they'll take care of it" when in reality that doesn't work for most cases.

When the rubber meets the road, warranty gets denied, because you didn't play by the stealerships rules, and 9 times out of 10 you can't or wont do anything about it.

Thats the thing.. you don't know if a dealer will play ball.. you ask? Another thing is you may ask a dealer and they say sure.. you get the car there and they see the extent of the damage and change their tune. I don't agree with people that say you went to the wrong dealer.. I deal with a ton of dealers.. and when there is a catastrophic failure.. Ford doesn't play.. they do not leave it up to a dealer.. even if they allowed the person to change things back to stock.. they will look through the ECU and look at other variables contributed to the failure. Ford has a whole team of engineers in the field. As soon as a engine blows up those engineers are contacted immediately.

I don't think it is fair to say the person went to the wrong dealer.. that is bad information. Things are way different now then 10 years ago.. even 5.. Ford has gone to great lengths to tighten warranty claims. Charge Backs to dealers for parts that were warrantied without approval are grounds for termination for any service manager.. Ford won't even allow a SYNC module to be replace anymore without a online hardware test and an authorization number.

You can argue back and forth.. I won't.. but MY OPINION is if you mod.. have need to have some money ready to pay.. you can't convince me other wise.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, that's basically how it goes.

Actually compared to some of the other manufacturers (like Subaru), Ford is still pretty relaxed when it comes to this.

Subaru is so bad they will considering denying if you even have a sticker of an aftermarket part on your car, let alone the actual part. LOL

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Thats the thing.. you don't know if a dealer will play ball.. you ask? Another thing is you may ask a dealer and they say sure.. you get the car there and they see the extent of the damage and change their tune. I don't agree with people that say you went to the wrong dealer.. I deal with a ton of dealers.. and when there is a catastrophic failure.. Ford doesn't play.. they do not leave it up to a dealer.. even if they allowed the person to change things back to stock.. they will look through the ECU and look at other variables contributed to the failure. Ford has a whole team of engineers in the field. As soon as a engine blows up those engineers are contacted immediately.

I don't think it is fair to say the person went to the wrong dealer.. that is bad information. Things are way different now then 10 years ago.. even 5.. Ford has gone to great lengths to tighten warranty claims. Charge Backs to dealers for parts that were warrantied without approval are grounds for termination for any service manager.. Ford won't even allow a SYNC module to be replace anymore without a online hardware test and an authorization number.

You can argue back and forth.. I won't.. but MY OPINION is if you mod.. have need to have some money ready to pay.. you can't convince me other wise.
Very well put.:thumbsup:

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Very well put.:thumbsup:
Not worth it risking it with the dealer also I wouldn't trust them if they say putting a mod on won't void your warranty. They would have to put that in writing for me. I learned a $6700 lesson with this ecoboost. Do not mod unless you have money to cover the cost of something going wrong.

Sponsored

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Call BS all you want.

I can tell you from first hand experience. One of our relatives had a Cobra that he was spraying the shit out of it...Blew the engine. Ford replaced the entire engine under warranty. :thumbsup:

And FordTechOne.... Read what I said again. The dealer doesn't have to report mods if they choose not to. They could of gave the guy a chance to de-mod the vehicle. I also said, my family members who work for Ford would of had me return the car to stock before going for a warranty repair. Also, I know all about how the dealer warranty system works. If you read closely what I posted... I said the dealer makes more money off a service repair vs warranty.... THAT IS THE REASON. I didn't say no reason.
BS again..

Have to many friends and family that works in this field plus me too.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
BS again..

I'll add to your list as well. That guy is a risk taker and doesn't understand how it works with the dealer and warranties.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Call BS all you want.

I can tell you from first hand experience. One of our relatives had a Cobra that he was spraying the shit out of it...Blew the engine. Ford replaced the entire engine under warranty. :thumbsup:

And FordTechOne.... Read what I said again. The dealer doesn't have to report mods if they choose not to. They could of gave the guy a chance to de-mod the vehicle. I also said, my family members who work for Ford would of had me return the car to stock before going for a warranty repair. Also, I know all about how the dealer warranty system works. If you read closely what I posted... I said the dealer makes more money off a service repair vs warranty.... THAT IS THE REASON. I didn't say no reason.
I don't know of any dealers in atleast 3 states around me that do what your saying. The dealer is not going to give you a chance to de-mod the vehicle. I de-modded mine before I took it there and put the stock tune back on and they found out about it. Regardless the dealer said it wasn't up to them they had to submit the ecu data to Ford and that showed that it had a tune so I was out of luck.

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS
BS again..

I have nothing to prove to anyone on the internet. Don't care what you believe or not. ;)

For me, I have no worries about warranty that's all that matters. :cheers:
Sponsored