Sponsored

E85 worth it?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
vmp has a plug and play harness, you do need aftermarket rails, and a couple fittings based on the rails you get to complete the system
Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Many will disagree with this, but Iā€™ve done the testing, tuning, and logging myself.

The Roush kit can run stock boost and e85 with very few modifications. In fact, even flex fuel tuning costs no more. All you really need is a boost-a-pump and tuning. The problem is that most tuners simply refuse to tune for this which leaves most enthusiasts with no other option than to spend thousands on injectors, fuel systems, and custom tuning. I really wish the self-tuning crowd were larger so this sort of thing could be group tested and shared more widely.

Also, the Roush kit in particular benefits greatly from e85. The use of e85 negates the poor intercooler. The gains will depend on ambient conditions, but I bet when your intercooler is heat soaked you could gain as much as 150-200 hp. In more pump-gas favorable conditions as little as 50 hp gain.
I may switch to e85 and see if the stock fuel system and BAP can handle it.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I may switch to e85 and see if the stock fuel system and BAP can handle it.

engines are fuel and air..

car - 40-50k
blower - 8k
fuel - how cheap can i go...

see this all the time

hightly recommend a fuel system....

Walkingdogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
engines are fuel and air..

car - 40-50k
blower - 8k
fuel - how cheap can i go...

see this all the time

hightly recommend a fuel system....
If I decide to go with getting a drum of e85 and mixing 5 gallons per fill up should I change the fuel system? What should I ask from the tuner? I currently have the vortech plug and play/fic1000s. I can't go full e85 but I'd like to get off the boostane and be able to at least run a normal timing and not as conservative. Any suggestions šŸ¤”.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
so if your doing 5 gallons to a 16 gallon tank, it would bump you up in octane around e20-30 depedning on the mix. system would probably be ok with that

Sponsored

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Iā€™m thinking about going to E85 on my 2020 with the Roush phase 2. Has anyone already done this? Upsides or downsides? What is a recommended fuel system? I am looking at the VMP plug and play.
I have a 2020 Roush 2650. E85 tune 2.7 pulley fuel sys. 1000cc injectors. You'll make around 775whp. Stock tune 93. Car made 630ish on the same dyno. Check out the Arcane Fuel Sys. Retains factory style bucket.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The only down side for me when I went e85 on a boosted car was the increase in powwre

Do you know this kit well?
I have the Stage 2 partially installed on the car right now.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I finally got some cool weather this morning to test in. This is a Roush 2650, stock everything (stock fuel pump, no bap), 7000 rpm, e85, 46 deg ambient. Lambda was super fat at .68 due to cot. The port injectors peaked at 11 ms duty cycle, with max being about 17. I still have about 15% more fuel headroom available in the stock Roush system, even at cool ambient while in cot. Furthermore, a properly tuned coyote will actually cut throttle if you do hit the injector limit, and will cut timing even if it does go lean. Iā€™ve actually done this on a Whipple car at 16 psi running e85 and 38 lb injectors.

I think part of the fear of the fuel system stems from the gen2, which didnā€™t have a fuel pressure sensor and, therefore, didnā€™t have injector pressure compensation. It didnā€™t have the layers of protection the gen3 has. Heck on the stock tune a lot of Roush cars did cut throttle when they ran out of fuel and they didnā€™t pop engines.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have the Stage 2 partially installed on the car right now.
When I look that kit up, it only shows available as a dead head set up. So does that mean it comes with a feed line but no return line? Or is it similar to the Sai Li kit where you use your oe line to feed & the line provided is for return? If you don't mind explaining to my noob self

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's a dead head system. I know guys with this system that run mid to low 9's on full weight cars. North of 850whp on ethanol. It supports way more than that.

Screenshot_20231122_205941_Samsung Notes.jpg

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
It's a dead head system. I know guys with this system that run mid to low 9's on full weight cars. North of 850whp on ethanol. It supports way more than that.

Screenshot_20231122_205941_Samsung Notes.jpg
Ok cool, thank you! Did you remove your old line or just installed the new one alongside of it?

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
e85 is like crack with FI. i love it. a gallon in the tank So without a tune can help with crappy gas or allow the motor to run with a higher threshold for knock and since knock takes power away from the motor it becomes much more reliable. With a full E85 tuned car that has saddle tanks gets old fast. i used to burn thru a tank on a 30 min "spirited milk run?". U need to fill up when it gets to half a tank at least for me. i started storing 5 gallon cans with e in it in my garage a looong time ago. its like ev range anxiety but with e85 lol nothing like a e85 car and no e85.
OMG, well said!!!!!
What this guy said right here:like:

Same with me! it's like Crack for an engine that's properly tuned and has the correct parts to maximize the potential of it.

I have two 5 gallon tanks, and I drive around with one if I'm going out to run, or by chance run into some action!

I don't go below half a tank without refueling, and I have all of the E85 stations in my area saved as favorites in my navi.

I only run it in the summer, and switch a to 93 octane tune around this time of the year.

Gas mileage on it absolutely horrible, but the benefit of making your engine happy while running it is worth it!!!

I would definitely recommend it, but also get a 93 octane tune!
Sponsored