Sponsored

dual oil separators

kanga80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
hey peeps, I'm about to pull the trigger on a mishimoto oil separator. My question is everything is passenger side, but do i need on driver side as well?
Sponsored

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base Auto
hey peeps, I'm about to pull the trigger on a mishimoto oil separator. My question is everything is passenger side, but do i need on driver side as well?
Nope, not needed on the drivers side.

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base Auto
^ not saying your wrong but why is that?
Take the tube off and you’ll see it’s dry. No presence of any oil residue.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Depends on what you're doing with the car. Daily driving, not really. Autox or road racing, yes for sure.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
You have your passenger side connected to the manifold so it sees high vacuum.
Your driver side is connected to the intake tube and sees low vaccum.
Ideally fresh air would flow from the intake tube into the driver side head, into the crank case, It would take the vapor and flow up and out the passenger side head into the manifold where it goes through the engine to be burnt. This is all driven by the manifold pressure and airflow regulated by the PCV valve.

If your manifold pressure goes positive the PCV valve closes. At that point any pressure created in the crank case from blow by will possibly come out of your driver side head along with any other place it can find. This should be minimal and not require an oil separator in most applications. If oil vapor from the driver side gets excessive you would probably want to check for a bad PVC valve or engine damage. Maybe if you were running very high cylinder pressures or in and out of boost for longer periods of time like road course racing I could see doing an oil separator on both sides. At that point I would go to breathers on both sides just to make sure there was adequate ventilation for the crank pressure and keep stress off gaskets.

I've seen people run a breather on driver side and catch can on passenger side to keep the PCV operation. This is not good as you will get non metered air into the manifold and fuel trims will be inaccurate. I think some of the centrifugal and turbo kits have the driver side connected pre MAF in the intake tube before the blower to avoid boost from entering the crank case. With a proper working PCV valve its probably not too bad, but I would just run breathers in those cases to keep the ECU and tune as happy as possible. Also to avoid a PCV valve going bad causing a tune issue.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I had the mishimoto, I would look possibly elsewhere. It did a good job but was a total PITA to get on/off and cluttered the engine bay. I’m going a different route this time.
Sponsored