Sponsored

Driveline vibe: Has any vendor come up with a solution?

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
What I have found to help with the vibrations on cars that seem to have the issue caused by the driveline angles are to adjust the pinion flange angle to where it is 1-2 degrees less than the transmission angle. To do this, you shim the front mounts of the rear subframe down. I have also tested shimming the transmission crossmember down as well.

This thread is ironic to me. I was thinking earlier this morning about making a thread about this and sharing my findings and the specifics of the shims I have used.
I'll have to send you a PM about the shims. I'm very interested in trying it out to see if I can lessen the impacts of significantly increased NVH with a 1-piece DS.

1024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I put in the washers and it feels slightly better. It may not be a total of 1/4 inch drop due to washer crush during torque. I needed longer bolts because one of them started stripping during tightening. I may end up putting in another washer. This only took 30 minutes in the garage.

ORANG50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
665rwhp 531rwtq
I ended up putting in some washers yesterday, probably slightly more than 1/4" drop. Maybe some partial improvement in vibe, seemingly no improvement in gear noise. I kinda hate to say it, but I'm about ready to kick the one piece driveshaft to curb and go back to stock. When I get more time, I might pull the driveshaft and measure the trans and diff angles to make sure they're good. If that's dialed in and there's still some vibe, I'm done with it.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has anyone tried to shim the center support bearing assembly down?

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I ended up putting in some washers yesterday, probably slightly more than 1/4" drop. Maybe some partial improvement in vibe, seemingly no improvement in gear noise. I kinda hate to say it, but I'm about ready to kick the one piece driveshaft to curb and go back to stock. When I get more time, I might pull the driveshaft and measure the trans and diff angles to make sure they're good. If that's dialed in and there's still some vibe, I'm done with it.
Are you running shaftmasters or dss?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
i really wish i could understand where im measuring and what im measuring for lol .

Would i break stuff if i put in 1/4in shims drive and test? id imagine this isnt a good idea. Anyone want to make a video of this? You will be a saint if it starts fixing these issues. The Virbation thread in the defects/recall section are getting fustrated with Ford services departments, and getting no where

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Just wanted to bump up this thread regarding my experience, hope it helps someone out in reinforcing the fact that Kelly from BMR may be correct, that his solution may be the fix for drive line vibration issues.

I guess you can say I'm one of the lucky ones, without any vibrations in any of the speeds listed in the drive line vibration thread. That being said, one thing I did notice on my car that if I went over 100 mph, the car did not feel smooth at all. Not that it was shaking, more like my gearing wasn't tall enough. I kind of figured it is a PP car so it is not exactly made for speed so I attributed it all to that.

However, I noticed a lot of people posting on forums and other sites having no problems taking their GTPPs to speeds over 100 mph and mentioning any of the symptoms I was feeling with my car. So this past weekend, while I swapped my transmission & differential fluids to BG, I decided to shim the transmission cross-member just for sh!ts and giggles. I combined 8 washers, totaling .170 thickness each and shimmed the cross-member. On normal driving, I definitely noticed a slight increase in NVH, more like feeling the cracks on the road when my tires rolled over them. Still bearable, biggest improvement was that now my car is smooth as butter going over 100+ mph. The chunkiness has also subsided some, much better than before.

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
So is around 1/4" what most people seemed to have had the best luck with ? Ford has had my car all summer and I am about to get rid of it but may give this a try

Last edited:

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...

Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I would like to seek some ideas on what to try on mine. My vib comes in around 56 MPH and slopes off around 78.
DONE LIST:
1-road force balance the tires several times.
2-tires and wheels swapped out.
3-DS swapped out and indexed.
4-hose clamp.

All original parts are back in it now. The vib is not as bad as it was but is still there. The only place I feel it is in the steering wheel. Nothing in the seats, shifter (auto), mirror. I myself have not checked any angles yet. but want to tackle this in one shot.

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Sounds like good progress on the problem. My question would be...Why can't we just measure the angle of the driveshafts? The question about the carrier bearing shim is also a good one. Seems the slight lowering of the trans is not doing anything to the rear section?
Sponsored