Sponsored

Does your Mustang's seat lumbar support suck?

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
So did this fix the problem for you? I actually just returned my '22 stang to the dealership because the lumbar was bothering me so much (even when "fully recessed"). Other S550s I test drive seem to have more or less the same issue, though the leather seats seem to be *slightly* better than the base cloth ones in this regard.

This gives me hope that I could still have a chance of getting another mustang and driving it comfortably if I show this thread to an upholsterer.

Also, does anyone know if the seats on the 2024 mustangs are the same? I sat in one briefly which came with no lumbar in the driver seat and my first impression was that it didn't have this problem at all!
It did! Very comfortable seat now.
not sure about the ā€˜24 ā€¦.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have serious back issues and the lumbar support and lower cushion lack of adequate padding just killed my back. I tried dealing with it for several years and ultimately had to sell the Mustang and find something with better seats.

CarpenterRunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It did! Very comfortable seat now.
not sure about the ā€˜24 ā€¦.
That's great to hear, thanks for replying on such an old thread! Hopefully this gives some more hope to others who may encounter the problem too

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium performance package.
Sorry to bump an old thread but is the lumbar support very very light? I just discovered I had that button tonight and when I touch it I can hear it but I feel no adjustment to the seat

I had no idea my mustang had a lumbar support button. Is mine broken? Or is the support very subtle

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
is the lumbar support very very light?
Looks like you have leather seats. Put you other hand in the small of your back just below the belt. And activate. You should feel a bulge. It is not a huge thing though

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
^ Are the cloth seats more aggressive on the lumbar?

On mine its easily felt.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Call me crazy but I like my base 300a seats much more than the Recardo.

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you have leather seats. Put you other hand in the small of your back just below the belt. And activate. You should feel a bulge. It is not a huge thing though
I tried this today. I literally only feel a small budge form on the left hand side of my seat while sitting in it when I push the max setting. And I mean itā€™s slight.

Iā€™m supposed to feel that same budge across the middle and right of my back to as well right ? Absolutely no motion I can feel there just on the left when sitting it gets a tiny bit firm on MAX setting.

i don't suppose it could be something easy like a pigtail unplugged under the seat? Honestly itā€™s not that big a deal but I think itā€™s broken probably.

I wonder if the fix would be simple enough for local mechanic?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have to take the seat cover off to access the air bladder afaik. Mine I feel on left and right where your kidneys are but lower. Not much in the middle with the spine.

Sponsored

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
You have to take the seat cover off to access the air bladder afaik. Mine I feel on left and right where your kidneys are but lower. Not much in the middle with the spine.
Ok so I should 100% feel something on that other side. Bummer.

Does it have to be all the way extended for you to feel It? Maybe my motor is so weak that left side barely works and the right is just nonexistent feeling wise.

Iā€™m not much of a mechanical person so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s possible for one side of the bladder to ā€œbreakā€ while the other remains somewhat functional?

Thanks for the info!

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Call me crazy but I like my base 300a seats much more than the Recardo.
Iā€™m this way as well. Whether itā€™s cloth or leather give me something that doesnā€™t hug me so tightly the whole drive. I also personally donā€™t like how they look in a car but thatā€™s just me

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Depends on your body (type, size, weight and also habbits).
If you have issues with the regular seats, try the Recaros, they are different.
If you have issues with the Recaros, maybe the standard seats are a better choice.
Also to mention, regular Recaros (incl. Bullitt, Mach1 and FP) are all the same, GT350 and GT500 are also different.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
regular Recaros (incl. Bullitt, Mach1 and FP) are all the same
Except they are not. I know I've sat in all of them. Cloth recaros fit different from leather recaros, which fit different from bullitt.

Either the supplier is wildly inconsistent or the spec keeps changing. The widest by far and most comfy is the bullitt version. 3 different bullitts fit the same so it wasn't car to car variability. The eb/gt leather were the tightest, not counting gt350 which are clearly the tightest of the family.

The Mach 1 cloth recaros are the same as the eb/gt cloth recaros. The leather version is very close to the bullitt specs and looser than the eb/gt, and therefore more comfy.

The sofa seats are the same across the board.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Except they are not. I know I've sat in all of them. Cloth recaros fit different from leather recaros, which fit different from bullitt.
I tried the leather Recaros in a pre 2018 GT before buying my 2020 Bullitt, and would say they are the same.

So I would bet that apart from the covers, the individual parts are all the same for EB, GT, Bullitt, Mach1 and Ford Performance.
Basically, you have the seat frame, padding and cover, Ford is a cheapskate, they don't make different parts, they just stitch a different logo on the cover.
What is more likely are fluctuations in product quality.
Of course, the cover material has an influence on how the seat feels, therefore a fabric seat with the same padding will always feel softer than one with leather.

If someone with EPC access is reading along here, perhaps he can take a look and confirm or not?
Sponsored

Last edited: