Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Where did you get the hub stands?
These are CSM Performance 1000lb stands I got back in 2019 with a free laser thrust alignment kit. I don’t believe these are still available from them. I originally got them for my Cayman but they have worked ok for the Mustang as well. I do keep floor jacks under the four corners at all times since the mustang is a heavy beast. Just lower it to make measurements. No strings required with this setup, though strings are a good confirmation that the lasers were setup correctly for the rear thrust alignment.
Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I went ahead and ordered the CaliperGarage Kit. I have a few 3D printers and could make the kit but don't mind helping out a Vendor. I'll probably print up some end caps and collars to keep a consistent placement for the string and to dress it up. I also have some Toe Plates, a couple of different caliper adjustment options and a steering wheel lock coming.
I might look into some other upgrades for the Mustang while I wait for everything.
Look forward to seeing your pics and opinion. Mine should be here next week…. What do you plan on using for the pipe ?

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Look forward to seeing your pics and opinion. Mine should be here next week…. What do you plan on using for the pipe ?

I just got the kit today. The 3D printed parts look good for production parts. I have some 1/2" EMT conduit that they recommend. Picked it up from Lowes, I think it is 10ft length, I got 4.
I will build it and take some pics tomorrow or Monday to start my alignment.

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

I wont be using the kit. I didnt really like it after assembly.

I have RaceRamps and using them with jack stands is a lot quicker to get everything assembled and lined up. Even if I had to line them up after raising and lowering the car I think the jack stand method is quicker.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)

I have RaceRamps and using them with jack stands is a lot quicker to get everything assembled and lined up. Even if I had to line them up after raising and lowering the car I think the jack stand method is quicker.
Well hell, that sucks….. I’ll post back here when I (attempt) to do mine. It will be a few weeks as I have a few suspension changes to make

Sponsored

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I just ordered the caliper garage kit as well. I did my own alignments on my ‘94 Camaro B4C which I auto crossed, but a solid rear axle made it much easier to do toe.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Its really hard to be angry at a nice little $70 string kit which comes with everything but the metal conduit tubing (which you can get at your local Lowes). It takes a couple second to setup, but the toe measurements were more accurate than the nice toe plate kit I bought.

The cheap kit easily beats the $240 Tenhulzen camber/caster/toe plates I also bought at reading toe accurately (but the plates are still my go-to for measuring camber.) The toe plates are definitely quicker to use.

71235605884__7B3F80E7-4195-43D0-8342-C8A9F04AABF7 (1).jpeg
Another vote for caliper garage. They’re actually on the forum here. But this one of many affordable options to build a square string around the car.

IMG_6205.jpeg
did you guys use 1/2” or 3/4” conduit…… 3/4” conduit doesn’t fit mine. I’m fine with 1/2” but wasn’t sure if a design change was made

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

I think the whole point is it's a pain to set up perfectly, but once it is, you mark all your attachment points, so you can easily throw it on at any time.

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think the whole point is it's a pain to set up perfectly, but once it is, you mark all your attachment points, so you can easily throw it on at any time.

Yeah, the first time will no doubt take the longest, but still won't be faster to setup then just using jackstands.
I don't think the point is for it to be fast or easy to set-up but to be able to keep its place/zero while you jack up the vehicle to make adjustments.

As it is, it won't work for me but I can see others using it with no problems. I had already 3d printed some end caps for the kit. After getting the kit I noticed a few things I didn't like and will probably 3d print new connectors.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Surprised nobody has mentioned alignment turn plates. I found it a PITA binding up the suspension with adjustments, raising the car to release, then rolling back and forth to settle the suspension.

Got a set of these and they cut the time down dramatically on my German steeds. Have yet to try aligning the Shelby but I did check it when I bought it and it looked good to go.

IMG_0766.jpeg

After putting in a new rear bearing yesterday, I appreciate the info on the adjustable components. Will be getting those b/f rolling in on the rear.

Sponsored
OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Surprised nobody has mentioned alignment turn plates. I found it a PITA binding up the suspension with adjustments, raising the car to release, then rolling back and forth to settle the suspension.

Got a set of these and they cut the time down dramatically on my German steeds. Have yet to try aligning the Shelby but I did check it when I bought it and it looked good to go.

IMG_0766.jpeg

After putting in a new rear bearing yesterday, I appreciate the info on the adjustable components. Will be getting those b/f rolling in on the rear.

I was looking at them but seen a lot of different ways to do it. People use Masonite, garbage bags or other plastic sheets. I even seen someone use some sheet metal n grease.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
I was looking at them but seen a lot of different ways to do it. People use Masonite, garbage bags or other plastic sheets. I even seen someone use some sheet metal n grease.
Yeah…I tried a thin steel plate grease sandwich and all it did was twist both plates and gall the finish on my lift runners (so it didn’t work for me on a finished/powdercoated surface; may work on raw concrete finish…YMMV).

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’ve tried everything. Garbage bags, tiles, tile against tile, tile on garbage bag, bla bla bla. None of them worked. None are near zero resistance enough to not bind the suspension and/or turn the steering wheel during adjustment. Once that happens, rolling the car to settle everything back down is the only way to get repeatable measurements. I bet those plates are nice and the only way to go. I do it the hard way; measure, adjust, settle the car, measure. It’s time consuming having to rezero your string box, but I get solid, repeatable numbers so I’m ok with it for now.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve tried everything. Garbage bags, tiles, tile against tile, tile on garbage bag, bla bla bla. None of them worked. None are near zero resistance enough to not bind the suspension and/or turn the steering wheel during adjustment. Once that happens, rolling the car to settle everything back down is the only way to get repeatable measurements. I bet those plates are nice and the only way to go. I do it the hard way; measure, adjust, settle the car, measure. It’s time consuming having to rezero your string box, but I get solid, repeatable numbers so I’m ok with it for now.
String box that’s attached to the car doesnt need as much maintenance, but yeah you need to adjust, lower and then roll the car

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
You guys that are using the caliper garage, how are you hooking up in the trunk area ?

EDIT: gonna hang it off the rear deck lid unless I come up with a better way before I do the alignment

IMG_8023.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: