DIY Alignments?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Anyone else do their own alignment? I hate having anyone work on my car and lack of a good shops close have me thinking to get a kit and do my own alignment.
Anyone have any experience with any good kits?
I have seen the QuickTrick 4th and 5th gen kits. I'm not sure I want to spend close to $1000 for a kit just yet, so I was looking at the 4th gen kit which is half of that.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I do my own alignment, with string or laser and a level. I had it checked once at a shop and was satisfied that my results were as good as theirs. Mine takes *a lot* longer and usually takes two rounds to get the steering wheel perfectly straight.

I have not bought a kit, mine is all DIY but a kit would be a lot less effort. ;)

mustang_align_.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have the gear to check it (string kit), but getting the rear camber/toe correct is a real pain with stock hardware. Front is pretty easy.

So I'll be checking my own alignments and fixing my own front alignments if they're off, but I'll probably be going to a shop if the rear looks like it needs adjusting.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Austin...you nailed it. Just swap out the camber and toe arms on the rear with your flavour of choice and you're home free. You could tackle your own then. It's the same buisiness as the front. The rear is a touch more touchey in so much that any camber adjustment induces a toe adjustment, but it's just a matter of wiggling the two settings out together. It's a short learning curve. But 100% yes...knowing what I know now, I would not enjoy doing the rear of this car with the factory hardware.

I've always known how to do an alignment, always known what each setting is and does, and all that jazz. BUT, learning the science behind the numbers and the geometry (working in deg°) and then applying that to do my own at home is probably the most gratifying thing I've ever done to my car. Having done it a few times, I guarantee I'm better than any shop. I told some friends just the other day, if you doubt a set of strings is more accurate than a laser on some rack in a shop, you need to do some more research...and call these Indy car teams and let them know they're doing it wrong, LOL.

IMG_5863.jpeg

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. I should have added that I installed a good amount of Steeda parts on my 24 GT.
I got the Steeda Camber Plates and the Steeda Rear Camber Adjustment Kit to help dial it in, along with their shocks, struts n springs.

I also think I can do a good job at aligning it. I just need to look at the kits and see what one has everything I want and will do what I need.
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a QuickTrick Gen5 String kit but want to see if I can find a similar kit with a better price and compare.

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep, only method I'll do now that I've done a few.

I use: toe plates, laser distance finder/level, magnetic digital angle finder, square tubing cut to fit wheel

-Toe plates with a laser level can be used to set rear thrust.
-Strings are a pain on the ground. Mount to car or use toe plates and keep in mind their limitations for rear thrust.
- stock Rear camber and toe arms suck if not on a lift or don't have hub stands.
- rear Toe will move when tqing. getting a tq wrench big enough to do 129ftlbs under the car with enough room to move it is hard.
-Make sure you are level at a minimum side to side or camber will be off.
-AM rear toe and camber arms are worth every penny. You can do it without but need to be cautious of how your tqing a few spots so settings don't move and bushings aren't bound. Am parts make these two a lot simpler. Did I mention they are worth every penny? I can finalize rear toe and thrust with car on the ground with am toe arms. Worth every penny.

Repeatability is key. If first time, don't rush. Take measurements and move car around and then remeasure.. they match? If not, start working out why. Large concrete pavers from Hd make good elevated surfaces to work on and easy to shim with laminate floor. Wood warps. Careful using it anywhere that could induce error. Few sheets of parchment paper under each wheel works. Careful jacking, car WILL slide.

Once you can get repeatable measurements then make changes.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its really hard to be angry at a nice little $70 string kit which comes with everything but the metal conduit tubing (which you can get at your local Lowes). It takes a couple second to setup, but the toe measurements were more accurate than the nice toe plate kit I bought.

The cheap kit easily beats the $240 Tenhulzen camber/caster/toe plates I also bought at reading toe accurately (but the plates are still my go-to for measuring camber.) The toe plates are definitely quicker to use.

71235605884__7B3F80E7-4195-43D0-8342-C8A9F04AABF7 (1).jpeg

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@Grimreaper you mentioned thrust angle for the rear several times. I’m gonna add on for the audience. The thrust angle spec for the rear is 0.0. It does not matter what your total toe is on the rear as long as the side to side is spot on even match. If your side to side toe is equal on both sides (the number is irrelevant), thrust angle will be 0. So focus on equal toe and then you don’t have to worry about thrust.

OP
OP

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I went ahead and ordered the CaliperGarage Kit. I have a few 3D printers and could make the kit but don't mind helping out a Vendor. I'll probably print up some end caps and collars to keep a consistent placement for the string and to dress it up. I also have some Toe Plates, a couple of different caliper adjustment options and a steering wheel lock coming.
I might look into some other upgrades for the Mustang while I wait for everything.

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hub stands are a great help but a bit pricey!

C96A365E-F357-4E3D-AFB7-718116DEBAB9.jpeg

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Hub stands are a great help but a bit pricey!
Yes, but at about $1500/set if we have 3 cars and align them each a few times we are about at break-even. Hmmm.... ;)
Sponsored