Dark Horse

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
The name "Dark Horse" sounds like it was created by a committee of marketing folks up against a deadline whose bonuses were attached to successfully pitching a car name on a Friday morning to a VP who had a 1 o'clock tee time at the local golf course.... Personally, having owned a GT and currently a M1, I would rather purchase a fully loaded 2024 GT than pay the asking price for a car called a "Dark Horse." Dark Horse... What is a Dark Horse... It's like Dodge coming out with a slightly updated version of a Charger and calling it a "Dodge Conqueror..." I'd rather Ford just call the Dark Horse the new Mach 1 which is what it seems like it is...Ok, my rant is over... I need more coffee.
Check "Dark Horse" in context with p**n and you know what kind of person came up with this name... 🤷‍♂️

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I'm just in the mood to continue ranting...

The name is so unbelievably stupid that it can only be used for a genre of lowbrow meat movie... 🙈

It could be due to my perspective as a non-native speaker, but the name really puts me off in the automotive context. Especially because Ford has names with a tradition for such things as a performance Mustang.
But hey, it looks like a Camaro and probably shouldn't have a name with tradition...
...or the name really only serves to attract the lost souls from the Camaro and bass fans, I don't know what their preferences are. 🤔

@shogun32
Makes you really want to have a Dark Horse in your stable, doesn't it? 🤪

PS: Good thing we're here in the S550 forum, in the S650 forum I would have been tarred and feathered by now...

PPS:
A hint for Ford, google the name next time to see what else it might be associated with.
If there were aduld DVDs with the name as a title years ago, use a different one.
Maybe you did, I can just imagine how the vote took place and was judged on whether to overlook the adult DVD thing. 😆

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I'm just in the mood to continue ranting...

The name is so unbelievably stupid that it can only be used for a genre of lowbrow meat movie... 🙈

It could be due to my perspective as a non-native speaker, but the name really puts me off in the automotive context. Especially because Ford has names with a tradition for such things as a performance Mustang.
But hey, it looks like a Camaro and probably shouldn't have a name with tradition...
...or the name really only serves to attract the lost souls from the Camaro and bass fans, I don't know what their preferences are. 🤔

@shogun32
Makes you really want to have a Dark Horse in your stable, doesn't it? 🤪

PS: Good thing we're here in the S550 forum, in the S650 forum I would have been tarred and feathered by now...

PPS:
A hint for Ford, google the name next time to see what else it might be associated with.
If there were aduld DVDs with the name as a title years ago, use a different one.
Maybe you did, I can just imagine how the vote took place and was judged on whether to overlook the adult DVD thing. 😆
What’s really hilarious is that the DH 7G guys seem to think the DH is a “New Mach 1” just because it took the Mach 1 sales slot. If that logic is correct, does that mean I have a GT350?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
does that mean I have a GT350?
No. You lack the signed certificate of authenticity and the box of trinkets with a cobra emblazoned.

And your nose is insufficiently pointed up into the air when speaking, nay gesticulating your umbrage while stabbing the air with a glass of sherry in your left hand.

Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What’s really hilarious is that the DH 7G guys seem to think the DH is a “New Mach 1” just because it took the Mach 1 sales slot. If that logic is correct, does that mean I have a GT350?
I know you're joking, but the DH is, for all intents and purposes, mechanically the same car as the Mach 1. It just has different sheet metal and some iPads. The GT350 had a completely different engine which, IMO, makes it much more unique.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
If the DH was twice as good as my 2017 I would be a buyer.
That's exactly what I told the salesman a few weeks ago who wanted to sell me a DH for my Mach plus double the payment. He sat there quiet for a second and was like yeah, I get that.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I know you're joking, but the DH is, for all intents and purposes, mechanically the same car as the Mach 1. It just has different sheet metal and some iPads. The GT350 had a completely different engine which, IMO, makes it much more unique.
Too a major degree all these cars share bones, but calling a model from another generation with a completely different look the same as the Mach 1 is stretching it a bit, but I’ll take it as a compliment. Maybe when they release the Mustang Stealth Stallion edition it’ll change.

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1967 fastback, 2019 Bullitt
I don't know about you all, but for $95K there are much better cars to be had (e.g. BMW M3/M4 Competition xDrive, Corvette, Porsche 718 S, etc.). Those cars will smoke the Dork Horse with ease on a road course. What's happening with the DH is simply a function of supply/demand. People are willing to pay the markup and the dealers know it. I wouldn't pay MSRP...., but I would consider it at a discount.
i paid 68.5 for mine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MustangFreak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i got mine for MSRP today and I'm in love with it. I think it's beautiful. Honestly, I like the butt more than my 6th gen Bullitt, and that was beautiful. really digging my recaro seats and the dash. Everything changes and that's the beauty of our hobby.
Let’s see the ride !!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To be fair, the Dark Horse has a bunch of upgraded and unique engine internal and external components. More so than an intake and a tune like the Mach 1.

I would say the DH is closer to a GT350 than the Mach 1 is in terms of unique go fast parts. I don't prefer the DH over the GT350 or Mach 1 in looks or for purchasing, but I think if you look at the equipment and stock capability of the cars, the DH is well above the Mach and probably quite a bit faster than the GT350 around a track.

It's too bad neither the DH or Mach got the GT350 brakes. To me those brakes are so stellar that I would choose the GT350 by far over the others even if it didn't have the unique engine.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm told a black Dark Horse will be listed soon at a local dealership. It was traded in, has less than 500 miles, automatic, track pack and Recaro seats. I don't know what the price will be, nor why it was traded in.

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
To be fair, the Dark Horse has a bunch of upgraded and unique engine internal and external components. More so than an intake and a tune like the Mach 1.

I would say the DH is closer to a GT350 than the Mach 1 is in terms of unique go fast parts. I don't prefer the DH over the GT350 or Mach 1 in looks or for purchasing, but I think if you look at the equipment and stock capability of the cars, the DH is well above the Mach and probably quite a bit faster than the GT350 around a track.

It's too bad neither the DH or Mach got the GT350 brakes. To me those brakes are so stellar that I would choose the GT350 by far over the others even if it didn't have the unique engine.
The Dark Horse is a Mach 1 with GT350 brakes mechanically speaking, the dual intakes do very little. And the Mach 1 is far more than an intake and tune. You’re missing the tremec, rear diff cooling, stiffer springs and sways, and gt500 rear subframe/diffuser. And with the handling package even more.
Sponsored