Sponsored

Daily Drive R

meares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4022
the search isn't working for me .... does anyone have links to daily driving an R...thx!
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think DDing an R would be doable, but I would not do it. The tires would be gone pretty quickly, and I think the splitter would have a rough, short life. As worried as I get parking my 350 in public, I think I'd go crazy worrying about an R out in a parking lot. JMO, YMMV.

I did DD my 350 for the 1st year, and DD several different GT500s between 2010 and 2015.

Doskiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I daily mine ......... I did not buy it to let it sit in the garage. You just have to be cognisant of where you are driving ....... keep off curbs and avoid dips ....... but we all do that anyway. At the end of the day, it's just a Mustang that sits lower ............ ;-)

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I daily my R. Got it last September and have about 16k miles on it. I will say get a clear bra at least on the front and change out the wheels and tires asap. Great car to daily if you are cautious of driveways and such.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I daily my R. Got it last September and have about 16k miles on it. I will say get a clear bra at least on the front and change out the wheels and tires asap. Great car to daily if you are cautious of driveways and such.
Exactly. Ditto ownership period and miles; ditto re wheels and tires; ditto careful re splitter; ditto re reason to DD.

Life's too short. This car is more fun than my '06 Z06 was.

Sponsored

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I know it’s your car and therefore your choice, but why do people buy an R to take the carbon fiber wheels off? Makes no sense to me.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
^ at $3k per wheel, any damage is pricey! I looked into getting a set, but... wow - too expensive! Likely very tempting for theft as well.

Any repairs (i.e., curb rash) are limited to the surface epoxy layer, and there is limited experience available for such.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
^ at $3k per wheel, any damage is pricey! I looked into getting a set, but... wow - too expensive! Likely very tempting for theft as well.

Any repairs (i.e., curb rash) are limited to the surface epoxy layer, and there is limited experience available for such.
Exactly, they are expensive... but being that the those carbon wheels are one of the bigger upgrades over a standard 350, to buy and R with the intent of Daily Driving it but then changing the wheels also makes no sense to me at all. For the upcharge of the R, those owners could have a standard 350 with a replica wing and Project 6GR's for well under R prices... makes no sense.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
^ I do agree with your point. If you bought an R to daily drive in the first place, it isn't very logical to remove the most defining difference.

Unless you just wanted the shiny red badges. :)

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
I think it depends on the type of daily driving that you do, and where. If it’s mostly around town driving in a suburban area with decent roads, then likely there wouldn’t be an issue as long as you’re ok with the firm ride and mindful of the low splitter. Replacing worn OE Cup tires with SS’s or 4S’s would improve the ride and the wet weather handling. All that said, I too would be concerned about the carbon wheels. Not only damaging them, but someone stealing them...or the whole car for that matter. I certainly wouldn’t want to leave an R outside at night. Even in good areas, professional car and wheel thiefs can and do strike.

Last edited:

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Even in good areas, professional car and wheel thiefs can and do strike.
FWIW, a few years ago someone tried to steal my other car's wheels from the valet lot of a fancy resort hotel. I found out because the car had the alarm warning on (tip sensor alarm activated), was missing one lugbolt, and had a jack mark on the rocker panel. The valet service denied everything and I got nothing but an apology from the hotel itself.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I get why people take the CF wheels and Cup 2s off for the street. That combo is wayyy overkill for street driving. I know a lot of people that have an aftermarket set of wheels/MP4S tires for the street and then save the CF wheels and Cup2s for the track. That makes perfect sense as that's where you'll actually be able to maximize the grip/weight advantage.

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I get why people take the CF wheels and Cup 2s off for the street. That combo is wayyy overkill for street driving. I know a lot of people that have an aftermarket set of wheels/MP4S tires for the street and then save the CF wheels and Cup2s for the track. That makes perfect sense as that's where you'll actually be able to maximize the grip/weight advantage.
I’ll be generous and say about 30% of people at most track their GT350’s though. At the end of the day, anything can happen at anytime. I think the whole point of buying an R is the carbon fiber wheels. You see a lot of regular GT350’s with a R splitter and Wing, but not the carbon fiber wheels. Beauty of owning your own car though, you can do whatever the hell you want to it lol.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’ll be generous and say about 30% of people at most track their GT350’s though. At the end of the day, anything can happen at anytime. I think the whole point of buying an R is the carbon fiber wheels. You see a lot of regular GT350’s with a R splitter and Wing, but not the carbon fiber wheels. Beauty of owning your own car though, you can do whatever the hell you want to it lol.
While the CF wheels are badass as hell and the weight difference awesome, I wouldn't track them. Stuff breaks on track. I'd prefer to use a fully forged wheel that costs less than $1K to replace. But I'm a trackaholic, so my opinion might be skewed :D

A_Bau3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of them
While the CF wheels are badass as hell and the weight difference awesome, I wouldn't track them. Stuff breaks on track. I'd prefer to use a fully forged wheel that costs less than $1K to replace. But I'm a trackaholic, so my opinion might be skewed :D
That’s another point, with those wicked turns and speeds on a track I feel like a guy is more bound to chip or scratch a wheel.
Sponsored