Sponsored

Cup holders and handbrake - RHD

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Man I feel sorry for you lot in the land of Oz. Just found out that Scotland, Ireland and New Zealand are getting a run with the handbreak on the right of the console. Oz is on the left only because someone in the factory was joking about things being reversed down under and the Yankee foreman took it seriously.
Could be worse though, England is getting one on the roof because the same guy made a joke about the cup holders needing to be big enough for saucers..
Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
:lol:

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Lucky for us kiwis, the foreman obviously doesn't know where NZ is!

Do you know that due to the gravitational pull of the earth down here, the water runs the other way round the plug hole when you empty a bath or a hand basin?

The cup holders on the roof should be a treat, do you think that they will have their own grill with a Roush aftermarket option as well?

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Probably a confirmation (aren't they all) but some of the UK lot went to a lecture, at a Ford plant in the UK, about the engineering of the S550 Mustang.

The speaker said that changing the position of the handbrake would mean a different floor pan thus too much money. They had to change the design of the manifold to accommodate the RHD steering mechanism.

Still, I can't see why they couldn't at least change the piece of plastic and move the cup holders. Not that I ever allow people to use them anyway :D

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Still, I can't see why they couldn't at least change the piece of plastic and move the cup holders. Not that I ever allow people to use them anyway :D
Especially as they've been boasting in the promo videos how they moved the cup holders out the way to make them useable etc.

I sat in the passenger side of a LHD Mustang the other week and I don't think the hand brake position will be a problem.

I think they should have designed the cup holders as a separate insert, interchangable with a phone dock/odment tray, or just an extended arm rest. This would have been an easy/cheap fix and also provide LHD owners with a nice upgrade option/accessory that Ford could charge for. I'm sure I'm not the only one that views cup holders as more befitting of an MPV than a sports car.

Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
The speaker said that changing the position of the handbrake would mean a different floor pan thus too much money. They had to change the design of the manifold to accommodate the RHD steering mechanism.

Which manifold are we talking about? The exhaust or intake? If it's the exhaust that might spell trouble for our catback systems

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Which manifold are we talking about? The exhaust or intake? If it's the exhaust that might spell trouble for our catback systems
Wow seriously...? Well that sucks. Then we can't "pre" order stuff before delivery.

I suppose it'll all come clear when the first RHD's roll out next month or so in Europe.

nadojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 SRT Grand Cherokee
Wow seriously...? Well that sucks. Then we can't "pre" order stuff before delivery.

I suppose it'll all come clear when the first RHD's roll out next month or so in Europe.
If they change the exhaust slightly ist no biggie, any decent exhaust shop can alter the one you want.

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
If they change the exhaust slightly ist no biggie, any decent exhaust shop can alter the one you want.
True, but I'd rather just get the right one to start. Plus I'll be fitting everything in myself so I'd rather not have to make any alterations.

Sponsored

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
Even if the manifold changed I don't think it would alter the position where the aftermarket system connects into.
I am sure that you will be right RSPEC-015, Ford will want to keep their parts count as low as possible...it's cheaper to mod one part like a manifold and have it match the LHD exhaust than make new parts for an entire system.....

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well.... if yallz drove on the correct side of the road, there wouldn't be a problem. :)

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

We should be careful what we wish for in terms of Ford modifying the car for RHD. I ran a RHD Chevy Blazer for 8 years. A lot of the parts (including the exhaust) were the same as the US version but the hardest parts to get were those modified for RHD. I can see the battery swapping places with the brake master cylinder as a minimum.

Thankfully there will be a lot more RHD Mustangs than there were Blazers and the commitment to the UK (and other RHD) market is greater that of Chevrolet. Chevrolet made all the RHD Blazers in one go at Linden, NJ (now closed) in 1999. People were still buying "new" ones in 2003 that had sat in a field for 3 years! Auto production technology has moved on so Ford don't have to do that. On the other hand it's now easier for them to produce different parts and integrate them all on the same production line (as with Ford making Fusions and Mustangs on the same line). I for one, hope they don't change too much. The handbrake, I can live with.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Even if the manifold changed I don't think it would alter the position where the aftermarket system connects into.
I hope not, just depends if the cat position is changed. But we didn't hear whether it was the exhaust or intake manifold. We will know soon enough, but I also doubt Ford would change many things because that will obviously come as a cost to the company

OP
OP
MotorFF

MotorFF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
On all those US exhaust images the connecting mid pipe looks symmetrical, left to right, so even if the mirror image it I can't see it affecting the connection point. UK owners will check it for us soon.
Sponsored