Cup holders and handbrake - RHD

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
People are just bored and get picky whilst waiting and waiting. Watching videos of people driving, I wouldn't want a hot cup of coffee in the cup holders even if they were on the correct side, you will end up wearing it. Now what about a water bottle shaped as a figure 8 laying down in the cup holders? With a pony emblem on the bottle?..... I must be bored, sorry.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
People are just bored and get picky whilst waiting and waiting. Watching videos of people driving, I wouldn't want a hot cup of coffee in the cup holders even if they were on the correct side, you will end up wearing it. Now what about a water bottle shaped as a figure 8 laying down in the cup holders? With a pony emblem on the bottle?..... I must be bored, sorry.
The water bottle is a great idea!

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
MT is further away on RHD?

Confirmed, there will be no mirroring of the handbrake and cupholders for the RHD markets.
hi motorFF. it looks as though the MT is closer to the driver on LHD cars , and i saw it mentioned somewhere that ford had moved the stick closer to the driver as well as moved the cup holders further on LHD. AT seems more central. but i guess they've test driven it and its OK.

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
double bubble water bottle for RHD stangs

hey bush ranger i just test drove some LHD mustangs here in america and your arm will definately rest on the cup holders esp with MT. they are deep enough for a shortish cup ( like a med size mcdonalds coffee ) not to bother but your water bottle idea would sell thousands guaranteed!

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
hey bush ranger i just test drove some LHD mustangs here in america and your arm will definately rest on the cup holders esp with MT. they are deep enough for a shortish cup ( like a med size mcdonalds coffee ) not to bother but your water bottle idea would sell thousands guaranteed!
SHOOSH...... I only need to wait another 8 months to get my car and measure up the cup holders. Then I will be rich.:D But I think someone's gunna beat me to it.:frusty: Oh Well, at least no body will be whingeing about those bl...., f......, PITA cup holders anymore :amen:

Sponsored

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
I noticed that Mustang Motorsport in Melbourne never changed the centre console over to rhd in their conversion, so maybe it is somewhat difficult to do.
Ian.

quick duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VZ Berlina wagon
I noticed that Mustang Motorsport in Melbourne never changed the centre console over to rhd in their conversion, so maybe it is somewhat difficult to do.
Ian.

the problem is the handbrake assembly and positioning. I have looked into it and it's difficult and expensive to change over.

then the new cover of the console, $10k or there abouts for setting up for injection molding..... I wish Ford designers had thought of this during the design, but I guess they didnt consider it an issue being on the left, like many other cars sold.

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
G'day Sisan
I ordered in May 15. I have no idea what batch I'm in nor do I know how many batches there are. In fact, I don't know anything!!!! :lol::frusty:
You're probably looking at sometime between June - August 2016.

Sponsored

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Yeah, I think you're right. As long as it doesn't slip any further. I have a trip planned for it in October (late October haha)
You'll definitely have it by then. I'll lend you mine for free if I'm wrong :thumbsup:

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
the problem is the handbrake assembly and positioning. I have looked into it and it's difficult and expensive to change over.

then the new cover of the console, $10k or there abouts for setting up for injection molding..... I wish Ford designers had thought of this during the design, but I guess they didnt consider it an issue being on the left, like many other cars sold.
this is exactly right, if you look at the underneath of the floorpan/tunnel you see the hand brake linkage going down one side of the tunnel, therefore to move it to the other side the entire assembly would need to be redesigned to be flipped and new mounting, or a crossover linkage which would have sucked to maintain torque on. the other option would have been an electrical brake, and well no thanks.

basically its not worth the cost to change and its not a drive breaking issue either.

Azairious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 SSZ Ute (current), 2017 Race Red GT (Current)
G'day Sisan
I ordered in May 15. I have no idea what batch I'm in nor do I know how many batches there are. In fact, I don't know anything!!!! :lol::frusty:
from what i got told by ford au on Facebook Australia is currently into batch 6 orders. pre-march is batch 1, march-june is batch 2, july - first half of aug is 3 aug-sept is 4, end of sept -oct is 5, they are getting orders of about 300/batch now so that they order less but get more orders rather than waiting for an order of 1000 to fill up before placing the order with ford US, essentially ford AU is just a re seller, they gather the orders to a number then order that many from US+mark up, then start again.

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
I guess I'm a 'numpty' then
Underneath the chassis of the 2015 Mustang the transmission hump is offset to the left relative to the tailshaft (driveshaft), leaving more room between the left hand side of the tailshaft and the left hand side transmission tunnel wall for mounting of the handbrake mechanism/handbrake handle. I am of the opinion that there is not enough room on the right hand side of the tailshaft to mount the handbrake mechanism on the right hand side transmission tunnel wall. Obviously if everything was symmetrical, then there wouldn't be a problem mounting the handbrake on the r.h.s. of the centre console.
Sorry if the above sounds like I have verbal diarrhoea!!
Ian
Sponsored