ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Damn, sorry to see this man.

I'm no expert but I've read several times that an improperly installed balancer can do this. If the balancer isnt fully seated and flush it can put an uneven load on the snout and break it.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
we just recently started using the mmr bolt with the upgraded washer

and

the maf racing install kit as well

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/444393.html

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/maf-racing-performance-tool.html
I just got the MMR bolt and washer. So after removing the APP bolt and before installing the new MMR any extra silicone from the keyway left on the snout face must be removed completely I imagine. Have you had any experience with interference issues with the washer because of the silicone.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I just got the MMR bolt and washer. So after removing the APP bolt and before installing the new MMR any extra silicone from the keyway left on the snout face must be removed completely I imagine. Have you had any experience with interference issues with the washer because of the silicone.
no, shouldn't be too hard to clean the silicone off

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I don't see how you could torque the balancer to 110 without it fully seating. I would like to know how you guys think it can be installed wrong if it is torqued correctly.

OP
OP
isedawishy

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I don't see how you could torque the balancer to 110 without it fully seating. I would like to know how you guys think it can be installed wrong if it is torqued correctly.
Another gentleman had the same thing happen to his. OPG, CS and ATI balancer and it happened roughly 1k miles after the balancer went on. He also had several WOT pulls, track runs, etc.

Something is loosening somewhere over time it seems. I don't think MMR would design a new crank bolt washer just because...

I'm not yet sure if I should replace with OEM or ATI balancer when I put it back together.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Because the ATI balancers are extremely tight fitting if not warmed up before installing.

In all likelihood it was not fully seated, therefore also not sitting on square wobbling the load back and forth. Well metal fatigue constantly pulled back and forth,and snap.

OP
OP
isedawishy

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Because the ATI balancers are extremely tight fitting if not warmed up before installing.

In all likelihood it was not fully seated, therefore also not sitting on square wobbling the load back and forth. Well metal fatigue constantly pulled back and forth,and snap.
Suppose that makes sense and makes sense why they don't snap immediately. Would be stress over time...

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Suppose that makes sense and makes sense why they don't snap immediately. Would be stress over time...
Exactly.

The MMR kit that's going save the world is a gimmick when the balancer is installed properly. At best the giant stepped washer helps square the balancer on the crank when improperly installed. Using a stronger bolt is not the way to properly install any balancer. The install kit Beef shared is best, or those who make their own with all thread.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Could this have been an installer bottoming out the longer balancer install bolt in the crank and causing a small crack or something that got worse over time? Seems easier to do than installing the balancer without seating it all the way. This thread makes me nervous since I'm about to install my OPG, CG, ATI damper and Whipple.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Could this have been an installer bottoming out the longer balancer install bolt in the crank and causing a small crack or something that got worse over time? Seems easier to do than installing the balancer without seating it all the way. This thread makes me nervous since I'm about to install my OPG, CG, ATI damper and Whipple.

That's exactly what I think happened. How you would ever prove it I have no idea. It is the only thing that makes sense to me.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Boss 302 or a $4,000 billet crank should help that issue. Nothing is a guarantee tho.

Once I finish my setup you should come see it to see if it something you would want.

Monster TT build lol.
Boss 302 and GT crank are the same forged crank, just balanced differently for the different rotating assembly weights.
Sponsored