Sponsored

Craig's Front License plate brackets: Available 1/13

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
If you have Xpel or another paint protection film installed: Even if the installer says it's OK (three I talked with said to do it), do not stick the adhesive for the license plate bracket to the film. Cut out the area and adhere it to the paint instead. I called Xpel yesterday, and one of the techs confirmed this, along with telling me a few stories they've heard about plate brackets flying off.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you have Xpel or another paint protection film installed: Even if the installer says it's OK (three I talked with said to do it), do not stick the adhesive for the license plate bracket to the film. Cut out the area and adhere it to the paint instead. I called Xpel yesterday, and one of the techs confirmed this, along with telling me a few stories they've heard about plate brackets flying off.
That sucks. How do you safely cut out the area without cutting into your paint though?

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Have the installer do it. I marked the area for him to cut out; it took him 30 seconds.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Its the answer for me! Got my car in January. Installed it in 30 degree weather. I used my wife's blow dryer to heat the area too. It has seen temps from 20 degrees to 90 degrees. Its sat in the sun and cold all day and all night plenty of times. Its been up to speed plenty. I remove the plate when I wash the car and wash that area. I reinstall the plate and good to go.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
And now I'm back to tell you Craig's license plate bracket is not the answer. My car has been sitting in the garage almost all of the last month. I checked it yesterday, and the plate bracket was fine. Today, it was hanging at a 45-degree angle, because the tape failed; about 2/3 of it had separated from the painted surface of the bumper. I was able to easily remove the bracket with a little careful tugging. There's barely any stickiness left on the pad, but it's not stained or dirty, which would indicate that this has not been a problem for very long.

When I installed the bracket 5 months ago, I carefully washed and prepped the surface - silicone wax and grease remover first and then a thorough alcohol wipe - and the bracket was solid as a rock (like it was bolted to the car). To have the adhesive fail and the plate separate from the car a few months later was shocking. What if I'd been driving the car at high speed and the plate and bracket flew off? I can only imagine the damage it would have caused.

I have used this type of removable bracket on other cars with no problems - my C6 had one for 7 years that never moved or loosened at all - so I can't blame my installation skills for this one. It's going back to Craig for a refund.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmmm screw would be on the bottom I don't think it would be visible

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Did the tape separate from your car's bumper or from the back of the base?

Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
The tape needs a clean surface and a high pressure to bond properly. When done right you are not removing it without damaging the surface unless you fishline it apart.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
im going to install over xpel with screws. I dont mind holes in the bottom of the bumper.

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Did the tape separate from your car's bumper or from the back of the base?
Mine just failed, too. Came out to the garage and saw the plate hanging off at about a 45 degree angle. Been hot here lately. For me, the tape was still intact on the bumper, but it separated from the bracket. Followed install instructions to a T. Clean surfaces. Used the adhesion promoter. Used plenty of force attaching it. Waited 4 or 5 days before I put the plate on. Plan on contacting Craig tomorrow. :brokenheart:

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The tape needs a clean surface and a high pressure to bond properly. When done right you are not removing it without damaging the surface unless you fishline it apart.
I respectfully disagree. I did it right, and after I pulled the bracket completely off, the tape on the bumper was still intact. Yet I was able to pull all of the tape off with just my fingers. It ripped and came off in pieces, but it was pretty easy. Just a little bit of residue in spots that I will have to clean off. Disappointed to say the least.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Give Craig a shout because he made a running change to rough up the metal surface of the base to promote adhesion. I also had this issue and am running with the revised base. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored