Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
whats the difference? not trying to be annoying just want to be educated, pics would be good to see the difference
Equal length are when the primary tubes are equal length. Each tube from the head port flange to the collector is equal. The problem is this design takes up space and the S550 mustang doesn't have that space. Equal length is also a tuned header because each port and primary flow the same distance. The pictures of the Kooks headers you pictured are step headers. The primary tubes are of two different diameters. The smaller diameter primary is first, this helps with scavenging and velocity. Their are more to headers then tube diameters, lengths, collector length and diameters etc.

The smaller the primary tube the more torque you can make at lower rpm.
The longer the tube the more torque you can make.
The larger the tube the more mph.
Smaller tubes act like longer tubes. Think garden hose.
Larger tubes act like shorter tubes. Think sewer drain pipe.

When building headers, their is more to it then just tubes. I've made headers from scratch on custom cars I've built. You have to take into effect....
RPM
Compression
Cubic inches
Naturally aspirated or power adder
Gearing
Transmission (manual or auto-converter)
Tire size
Type of racing or use (drag, track, street, truck pulls, boat etc)
Weight
Mufflers

In a perfect world the best header would be one with just one bend (think top fuel funny car or dragster)

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think it is foolish to think the 5.2 FPC engine will not see a horsepower increase in the near future. Ford has been known to leave some horsepower on the table when they introduce a new engine. I fully believe Ford will find a way to tune and revise intake and exhaust ports and change the intake design and etc, to bump horsepower to 580 for the 2019 GT350.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I think it is foolish to think the 5.2 FPC engine will not see a horsepower increase in the near future. Ford has been known to leave some horsepower on the table when they introduce a new engine. I fully believe Ford will find a way to tune and revise intake and exhaust ports and change the intake design and etc, to bump horsepower to 580 for the 2019 GT350.
The FPC voodoo will not be revised for one model year.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Isn't it 19.and 20 and the 650 comes 2021MY?
Still, I don't see it happening for 2 either. Could depend on when the Z28 comes and even then I'd say CPC and called boss.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Those are not equal length and those are mid length.
How far off of equal are the lengths? They look very close to equal to me, and if they aren't exactly equal, the lengths could surely be adjusted slightly. They also sure look like long tubes to me. I feel like you are splitting hairs here.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Seeing as the '18MY GT350 isn't being revised, you'd assume that it'll only be around for this last model year.

Would they really leave it without changes for the '19 and '20MY before we then get the S650?

There's still the unanswered question of when the GT500 (or whatever it may be called) comes into the picture? Personally, I'd assume it'd be here for the '19 & '20MYs.

And what of the rumoured Mach 1? Will that ever happen? Will it sit between the GT and GT500? That pretty much where the GT350 sits now.

My thoughts.....if Ford aren't going to update Voodoo (and I'm not convinced they will) it would be good "marketing" to replace GT350 with the likes of the Mach 1 as a n/a 5.2 CPC V8 would, in my mind, slot nicely in place of Voodoo and it keeps Ford's promise that Voodoo would only ever be available in the GT350.

My ideal V8 scenario for the remain model years:

'18/'19/'20MY GT comes with DI/PI Coyote and 460hp

'18MY Bullitt 50th Anniversary based on the GT with DHG paint etc

'19/'20MY Mach 1 with 5.2 CPC and 525hp

'19/'20MY GT500 with a superchargerd 5.2 CPC and 725hp

:ford:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
How far off of equal are the lengths? They look very close to equal to me, and if they aren't exactly equal, the lengths could surely be adjusted slightly. They also sure look like long tubes to me. I feel like you are splitting hairs here.
None of the tubes on that Kooks Gt350 header are of equal length. The front is the longest and they get shorter as they go towards the rear. Equal "tuned" length headers are of equal length. Not inches apart such as these. Primary tube lengths and diameters depend on engine size, rpm, hp, tq, weight, compression, etc.
Equal tuned length header primaries do not mean it's a better header or that it'll make more hp/tq.
The FPC voodoo does not have the scavenging issues like a CPC engine. In the 60s GT40 289 ford used the bundle of snakes to help scavenge the exhaust. Much like a fpc does on the voodoo. The GT40 mid engine had the room for this type of exhaust, the mustang does not.
When I made my own set of headers on my fox body 401 SVO engine with Yates heads I used a 2" to 2-1/8" step primary with 3.5" collector 10" long with 28" long primaries that were all 28" long. Not 27" or 29". I was running 13.75:1 compression and 8600 rpm. NA. In a 3050 pound car. With a 4 speed Jericho and 4.56 gear with 28" x 10" slick.
You say cutting hairs, but in a race application 5hp is enough to win or lose a race. On a street car it's not an issue.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Seeing as the '18MY GT350 isn't being revised, you'd assume that it'll only be around for this last model year.

Would they really leave it without changes for the '19 and '20MY before we then get the S650?

There's still the unanswered question of when the GT500 (or whatever it may be called) comes into the picture? Personally, I'd assume it'd be here for the '19 & '20MYs.

And what of the rumoured Mach 1? Will that ever happen? Will it sit between the GT and GT500? That pretty much where the GT350 sits now.

My thoughts.....if Ford aren't going to update Voodoo (and I'm not convinced they will) it would be good "marketing" to replace GT350 with the likes of the Mach 1 as a n/a 5.2 CPC V8 would, in my mind, slot nicely in place of Voodoo and it keeps Ford's promise that Voodoo would only ever be available in the GT350.

My ideal V8 scenario for the remain model years:

'18/'19/'20MY GT comes with DI/PI Coyote and 460hp

'18MY Bullitt 50th Anniversary based on the GT with DHG paint etc

'19/'20MY Mach 1 with 5.2 CPC and 525hp

'19/'20MY GT500 with a superchargerd 5.2 CPC and 725hp

:ford:
I respectfully disagree.
I don't see ford making another 50th anniversary bullitt. It was a one time movie stunt. Bullitt wasn't the only mustang movie and to keep the bullitt alive seems to be odd.
Building a Mach 1 5.2CPC with 525hp seem like an easy way out. Basically same as a GT350 minus the FPC and firing order.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I respectfully disagree.
I don't see ford making another 50th anniversary bullitt. It was a one time movie stunt. Bullitt wasn't the only mustang movie and to keep the bullitt alive seems to be odd.
Building a Mach 1 5.2CPC with 525hp seem like an easy way out. Basically same as a GT350 minus the FPC and firing order.
They made a Bullitt edition for the Sn95 New Edge and the S197.

So Ford has done it twice.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Besides......they can only make a 50th Anniversary Bullitt version once :p

Whilst I'd rather see a Mach 1 (if it's a choice of one or other), a Bullitt would still be very cool. It's still one of my favourite S197s. That colour would look superb on the S550.

And Steve McQueen is still an inspiration to Team Mustang......as seen here during the development of S550 :)

2015%20Ford%20Mustang%20Preview%20-%20Design%20Inspiration.jpg

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
They made a Bullitt edition for the Sn95 New Edge and the S197.

So Ford has done it twice.
My point is it's nothing special. It's not a 60s submodel.
We have GT's, mach1, California specials, boss, GT350 and GT500 and cobra jets.
Ford could bring back the Mach 1 as a NA car and also a Mach1 twister with a blower/turbo

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The "Twister" Mustangs were regional promotion cars.
Nothing special there.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
To me the Bullitt Mustang is more special to me than a Mach 1 just because of the way Ford made it special. The name Bullitt can have more than one meaning. Like fast as a bullit or streamlined like a bullit. Not everyone associates the Bullitt Mustang with the Movie.
Sponsored