Sponsored

Count Down to Detroit Auto Show 2017!!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Some like to say the 5.2 FPC will only be offered in the GT350. As long as the GT350 is produced, that is true. However, once the GT350 is no longer produced that statement could have a new meaning. Ford most likely has a higher output version of the 5.2 FPC finished or near completion. No one spends more on research than Ford.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
So why wouldn't a 50th edition Bullitt in '18 and then a 50th edition Mach 1 for '19 make sense? The would leave '20 for a Twister Special, remember the now popular GT-CS was also a regional offering, and for the true died in the wool enthusiast, a Shelby Europa edition for '21...why not?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The "Twister" Mustangs were regional promotion cars.
Nothing special there.
The twister was more then a promotional car. It had special features. Engine, stripe kit, shaker hood scoop, very few had 428 Scj engines and the rest had 351c 4v. They also had the drag suspension package. That's more special then a Bullitt copy car.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
All that stuff (428 SCJ, shaker, Drag Pack) except for the "Twister Special" decal package were available as regular production options on the Mustang.
Not here to argue...a neighbor once had one (a Twister)...SCJ / 4 speed / Drag Pack w/3.91 rear gear.

No offense to anyone, but personally, I'm over the Bullitt...give me a 5.2 CPC Mach 1.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Those doubting a 5.2 upgrade need to remember the union contract that came out a little over a year ago: http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7861
It will continue, with enhancements. Maybe those enhancements are a switch from FPC to CPC for a different model, but many at the time took it to mean the GT350 would get a hp bump eventually. As for future models, with the amount of references TopNotch keeps making to the Boss 429 anniversary in 2019 and the new 7.0L V8 officially announced for trucks, my guess is this:

MY2018 Mach 1 (track pack 2 stuff and 1LE competitor) and Bullitt (still a good possibility this won't happen but after hearing that someone attended a Chad McQueen charity event where he said he's working on a project with Ford, I've been hopeful, although I'm obviously biased. But, it would have minor enough changes to not steal the refreshed 2018s thunder, while still getting in a special edition, similar thought process to the 50 year limited edition model in 2015).

MY2019 Mach 1 continues till end of S550. Boss 429 with 7 liter NA V8 introduced and introduction of a CPC FI 5.2 GT500. Both continue 2 years till the end of S550.
Only wildcard is whether the GT350 would be sold alongside and upgraded (would be crowded if those other models come to market but could work, Camaro lineup does it with 1LE, Z/28 and ZL1), or phased out.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Wow......amazing that news dropped a year ago, and we're still no wiser as to what's really going to happen :headbonk:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Those doubting a 5.2 upgrade need to remember the union contract that came out a little over a year ago: http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=7861
It will continue, with enhancements. Maybe those enhancements are a switch from FPC to CPC for a different model, but many at the time took it to mean the GT350 would get a hp bump eventually. As for future models, with the amount of references TopNotch keeps making to the Boss 429 anniversary in 2019 and the new 7.0L V8 officially announced for trucks, my guess is this:

MY2018 Mach 1 (track pack 2 stuff and 1LE competitor) and Bullitt (still a good possibility this won't happen but after hearing that someone attended a Chad McQueen charity event where he said he's working on a project with Ford, I've been hopeful, although I'm obviously biased. But, it would have minor enough changes to not steal the refreshed 2018s thunder, while still getting in a special edition, similar thought process to the 50 year limited edition model in 2015).

MY2019 Mach 1 continues till end of S550. Boss 429 with 7 liter NA V8 introduced and introduction of a CPC FI 5.2 GT500. Both continue 2 years till the end of S550.
Only wildcard is whether the GT350 would be sold alongside and upgraded (would be crowded if those other models come to market but could work, Camaro lineup does it with 1LE, Z/28 and ZL1), or phased out.
Where do you get info of a 7.0L? If this is true, it would replace the 6.8L V10 in the super duty trucks, not a car engine.
I highly doubt a boss 429 ford hasn't made a Boss 429 since 1970.
I also don't understand why people think the bullitt was anything special, paint color and a few emblems, nick knacks don't mean anything for performance.
I agree on a cpc 5.2. And I also agree on no power increase for the GT350. I've been told by a ford engineer last year the 5.2 will live on but not the FPC I believe him.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Before 2012 they hadn't made a Boss 302 since '70, either ;)

Yes, the 429 in question will be a truck engine. But if the Coyote was't in the F150 we might not have it in the Mustang, either. Do I think it'll happen? Unlikely, but Ford keep on surprising us.

Oh, and the S197 Bullitt featured 15hp more than the stock GT of the same year. It featured a revised CAI/tune and exhaust. Not exactly earth shattering, but better than nothing.

:)

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I'm as big of a 67/68 fastback fan as anyone (see <-----) but for the life of me i can't really understand why anyone wants to bring back Bullitt versions of that car in today's day and age. Sure its a cool movie but its not as if the car in the movie was something special at the time, its all "movie magic", so much so that they needed to run smaller tires on the Charger just so the mustang appeared to have the advantage in the chase scene. I get the attraction to shelby's, Mach 1's, Boss's but the desire for a new generation Bullitt escapes me.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Where do you get info of a 7.0L? If this is true, it would replace the 6.8L V10 in the super duty trucks, not a car engine.
I highly doubt a boss 429 ford hasn't made a Boss 429 since 1970.
I also don't understand why people think the bullitt was anything special, paint color and a few emblems, nick knacks don't mean anything for performance.
I agree on a cpc 5.2. And I also agree on no power increase for the GT350. I've been told by a ford engineer last year the 5.2 will live on but not the FPC I believe him.
http://windsorstar.com/business/local-business/ford-pledges-600m-investment-in-windsor-plants

7.0L was discussed over the past week in the 2018 Mustang info thread. Ford brings back old models all the time, why can't they do one that hasn't been done yet?

Bullitt has appeal on more than one level I think. First of course are the movie fans. But I think there's also a strong support for a new Bullitt just because a lot of people like a low profile, stealthy Mustang. Dark color, no bold badges, shiny trim or spoilers, blank grill, etc. Some people just love the simplicity of it. I've talked to many Bullitt owners in the past that just liked the look, nothing more.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Here's hoping for a Boss 429 that is actually 429 c.i.!!! Dang, just think how badass that big of a NA motor could be! A sales guy at my dealership talked about the Boss 429 coming back when I purchased my GT350, but it always seemed far fetched to me. Who knows?

I personally like the Bullit name better than Mach 1, because the Mach 1 was always just stickers and spoilers. I'm not really into big gaudy reflective stickers. I think McQueen had good taste and I liked the blacked out, debadged look.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
None of the tubes on that Kooks Gt350 header are of equal length. The front is the longest and they get shorter as they go towards the rear. Equal "tuned" length headers are of equal length. Not inches apart such as these. Primary tube lengths and diameters depend on engine size, rpm, hp, tq, weight, compression, etc.
Equal tuned length header primaries do not mean it's a better header or that it'll make more hp/tq.
The FPC voodoo does not have the scavenging issues like a CPC engine. In the 60s GT40 289 ford used the bundle of snakes to help scavenge the exhaust. Much like a fpc does on the voodoo. The GT40 mid engine had the room for this type of exhaust, the mustang does not.
When I made my own set of headers on my fox body 401 SVO engine with Yates heads I used a 2" to 2-1/8" step primary with 3.5" collector 10" long with 28" long primaries that were all 28" long. Not 27" or 29". I was running 13.75:1 compression and 8600 rpm. NA. In a 3050 pound car. With a 4 speed Jericho and 4.56 gear with 28" x 10" slick.
You say cutting hairs, but in a race application 5hp is enough to win or lose a race. On a street car it's not an issue.
What was the engine break like on that thing? :eyebulge:

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
If the 429 were a reality I can't see it and a forced induction model being offered simultaneously. A hotrodded 429 could def climb above the 600hp mark with gobs of torque. That would probably make it the top dog of the lineup.
Sponsored