Converting CLEAR tail lights to RED with a vinyl kit

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Any comments on people who've fitted Dennis's newer set of tail light tints?
I fitted the Anchor Room ones the other day, 2 of them are damaged - they blistered and rippled as soon as the heat touched them. Unfortunately the guy at Anchor Room is extremely difficult to deal with and point blank refused to accept the vinyl could be an issue. I did point out that 4 of the 6 went on without problem but apparently it was still my fault and i have to pay for replacements ... which i'm not willing to do (i've already had to pay for a replacement after i legitimately did damage one). Figured i'd cut my losses and replace with Dennis's (have PM'd him but he hasn't been on for a few days)

I wouldn't advise using Anchor Room again to anyone outside of the USA.
I have Dennis's dark red tints ready to fit on the car when I get it next week- looks like I made the right decision compared to Anchor Room. I do however have Anchor Room tint for amber on sides of headlights & for rear fog light as I like the look of that. Hopefully the company that will do my side stripes will also apply the light tints for me as well (they are wrap experts). Worst case scenario, the company that will be doing my engine cover (carbon dip & paint) will also paint/ tint the lights.
Sponsored

bigul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015 EU
I'll get tomorrow vinyls from Anchor Room.
- 20% dark light rear vinyl set
- 50% dark rear&front vinyl set (fog lights, turn lights)
(two sets becouse, I cannot compare our lights to US specs lights, coz they have already red lights so dark tints probably looks different on EU spec and US spec)

I haven't decided yet, which kind of tone I'm going to choose, but I hope to get them without any deficiency :hail:

And I've ordered Dennis vinyls too - just in case :D

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
Heeeey let us know (and photos?) - I've been thinking about dark vinyls too... not quite sold on red (as the clear ones have grown on me and my Magnetic) - and of course it fits my silver wheels and 50th grille... would've even better fit if I had the coupe with the chrome window fittings :)

bigul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015 EU
Ok, here you have some pics of my car, vinyls tints from Anchor Room on it.
I have also in my plans to put dark vinyls on rear windows.
I'll try to make some better quality photos soon.

Unfortunately reverse light is not dark enough and you still can see the both colours on it, but probably i'll change it on led one like John557

Fog Lights, front turn light,lights in mirrors, stop light, rear lights, rear side markers, rear markers, reverse light
IMG_6179.jpg
IMG_6186.jpg
IMG_6190.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2.3 Ecoboost - Fastback - Custom Pack - Magnetic
Sorry you guys.
I have a company to run and this is about the busiest time of the year for us.

But if you mail me at [email protected], your mail goes into my business inbox and I wil answer whithin a workingday.

As for the carwash.
Yes, no problems with that. I've been into a carwash several times and everything is still ok.

And yes, this set comes pre-cut.

Very, very nice picture btw Raider!

Sponsored

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB 2016, BMW F11 M kit 2013, Seat Ateca 2017, Volvo T8 2019
my vinyls are f*cked up.
Info was that they were perfect fit so installed one and would not fit at all, tried and tried and tried until almost broken. So put it back and took another one. The same, also too big. Really did not understand at all.
Finally after trying with this one also about 10 times I stopped.
Vinyls already slightly damaged :-(
So went to look on the net and found they should be bigger. Why did I then get info they were perfect fit, what a shame. Tried again to install them but too much damaged and when moving the water they broke ... Two gone and now 4 left.
Hope Dennis has some spare to offer otherwise I cannot use the others neither anymore.

So warning for everyone installing the vinyls for the backlights, read well how to use!

Last edited:
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Kris sorry to hear that!
Actually I don't understand very well what problems you had on installing vinyls.. If you follow some installation videos found on youtube (like the anchor room one) you have to spray the vinyls front and back with soapy water, then put it in place. The soapy water allows the repositioning until you are satisfied. Then, lift the vinyl from an angle and spray with clear water, put down, lift the other angle and then press with a credit card or a squegee to push air bubbles out.
The vinyls are bigger but only a few mm, and installing them with soapy water and heat gun makes them perfect.

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Kris sorry to hear that!
Actually I don't understand very well what problems you had on installing vinyls.. If you follow some installation videos found on youtube (like the anchor room one) you have to spray the vinyls front and back with soapy water, then put it in place. The soapy water allows the repositioning until you are satisfied. Then, lift the vinyl from an angle and spray with clear water, put down, lift the other angle and then press with a credit card or a squegee to push air bubbles out.
The vinyls are bigger but only a few mm, and installing them with soapy water and heat gun makes them perfect.
Problem is for sure not the quality of the product. I used the vinyls for the reflectors and their they fit perfectly and are really good.
So yesterday I tried to put on the back lights in the same way but they were at least 0,5cm to long and came over the light. So tried to readjust them again and again but whatever I tried no fit. So I tried another one and exactly the same problem. Meanwhile because of putting them on and off several times even with applying water they were slightly damaged. I decided to stop and look at a video and then there I found out they were too big and not a perfect fit like announced. That was my main problem what to do with that 0,5 cm ... well just bend it apparently.
So tried it again but when using the squeqee it completely broke the first one ... so tried with the other and same effect as soon as I used a bit the squeqee it damaged the other one too (hole in it) :frusty:
So before applying the other ones now that I know how to do I just hope I can get some spare ones from Dennis as a complete kit would be a bit stupid :amen:

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
OK now I understand :)
Yeah they are slightly bigger, probably because they are generally intended to be bent at the edge of the light housing. Sometimes it could be easy and sometimes not.
My post was not to 'protect' Dennis work but only to say that it's common for this type of products to be shaped this way. I also tried different vinyls before and they were similar.

However, now that you point this out, I realized that I could have linked an installation video here..! This could be useful for beginners (like I was the first time!)

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
That was my main point to inform the other forum members that the vinyls are a bit bigger so they know and don't have the same problems like me.
For sure nothing bad about the quality of Dennis' vinyls.

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
This weekend I should install the new 'deep red' vinyl kit: if I have time I'll take some pictures and then edit the first post to have a real 'installation guide'.
I could also make a new thread "how to remove vinyls" :D

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I tried to install my vinyls tonight (from Dennis) but also not had a good result.

I dont if its me, or the vinyls (probably me, im not officially questioning anything...) but I could not get rid of the nasty creases at the corners of the larger vinyls, and there were lots of air bubbles that I just couldnt get out.

Ive used vinyl before without issue on other cars, so im not a complete beginner. This vinyl did seem a lot stickier than stuff ive used in the past.

I stopped after 3 vinyls before wasting anymore. Id say my results were about 90% good, but im not putting anything less than 100% on a new car.

What was clear is that it would look bloody awesome when done correctly... so now I think ill need to re-order and get a pro to install them for me. :thumbsup:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I tried to install my vinyls tonight (from Dennis) but also not had a good result.

I dont if its me, or the vinyls (probably me, im not officially questioning anything...) but I could not get rid of the nasty creases at the corners of the larger vinyls, and there were lots of air bubbles that I just couldnt get out.

Ive used vinyl before without issue on other cars, so im not a complete beginner. This vinyl did seem a lot stickier than stuff ive used in the past.

I stopped after 3 vinyls before wasting anymore. Id say my results were about 90% good, but im not putting anything less than 100% on a new car.

What was clear is that it would look bloody awesome when done correctly... so now I think ill need to re-order and get a pro to install them for me. :thumbsup:
Or maybe just drive to Dennis' shop and have him install them?

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
what colour car did you get langzam? I'm still torn between my clears (which matches the silver wheels and grille) or going all red (which avoids the near pink in daylight rears :D)

Dennis_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2.3 Ecoboost - Fastback - Custom Pack - Magnetic
Sorry to hear some of you can't install them the way they would.
I have a shop and I am happy to install them too ofcourse.

This is my profession and it is during working hours so I have to ask a small fee.
Lets say I will install the rear light set on the back for 25 euros.
It is my problem when I mess up the vinyl then :)

I run a busy shop and the installation room is alway occupied with cars, so you have to make an appointment first so we can reserve the time and room for you.
Sponsored