Sponsored

Converting a auto to manual

jrsexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 v8 5.0 automatic
Just wondering how hard would it be to convert a automatic to manual? I know your all asking. Why? Well here in the Philippines we only got the automatic version and have no manual. So just wondering if it's a hard project to do.
Sponsored

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
It would be a lot of hours and ALOT of money.

OP
OP

jrsexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will here the labor is cheap and I own my own shop so time and labor is not a problem its the electrical and stuff I am worried about

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
You own your own shop but don't know what it takes to convert an auto to a manual?

OP
OP

jrsexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know how on some cars and other but mustang my biggest question is there any issues like do I need to change the intake and throttle body and sensors as this need to be changed on like Porsche 964 and not a easy job now for the Ford Mustang is it a easy job in just changing the transmission removing it and installing a manual or do you need to change sensors and throttle and other stuff this is my question so I can buy what needs to be changed also I own a shop but I am not the mechanic am the owner and my people change it but have no idea regarding the ford on what needs to changed that's why I am asking the forum for info as to how or what needs to be changed

Sponsored

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
This will be a pretty hard swap seeing as how new the car is... I wonder why they didn't offer you manual

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
You would need the drivetrain parts...separator plate, flywheel, clutch, slave, line, transmission, maybe crossmember, engine/transmission portion of wiring harness, transmission sensors, computer, pedal box, shifter, related hardware and a program for the PCM. I was the first guy to do this on a '05 Mustang GT back in late '05. My advice is buy the Ford wiring diagram manual and study it as far as anything that ties to the transmission. It was easier than I thought, but homework is the key for sure.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
I am sure you will have no problems finding someone to give you an even swap!

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
OP
OP

jrsexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys thanks so much. Anthony I'll study this like you said

Sponsored

Horde5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
The Warchief
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I did this on a BMW m3 a few years ago. The mechanical part was no big deal, it was the computer and the wiring harness that was a hassle. Maybe Ford's computer interface and software are more accessible than BMW's, I don't know.

I would definitely research that end of it first.

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Why do you want to make your car slower?

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
When I did my '05 swap it hadn't been done yet and I was worried about the computer part mostly. I was lucky enough to know Don Burton who was at the time a mechanic at a Ford dealer who was willing to try to do the computer part. I bought a manual car pcm and he took a manual program out of a used car in their lot and loaded it into my new pcm. I drove off without a hitch.

I later did a couple more of these swaps and found out that the automatic pcm could have the auto trans functions turned off negating the need to buy a pcm. Now we have a new car with a new pcm and nobody knows the details on what is required to do the swap. I would talk to some top tune guys that have been in the computer and might see what is required. Do your homework and take lots of notes and really plan the whole process before you even get near the car.

On my '05 I actually didn't even replace the engine/trans portion of the wiring harness, I modified it to work using Ford pigtails and plugs. Did some soldering and also had to do a custom reverse light circuit that the computer doesn't see. Of course, I wouldn't have had to do that with the right wiring harness.
Sponsored