Sponsored

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
hey guys so ive done some searching on these forums but either im not good enough at searching this site yet, or nobody has ran into this specific problem. I had a 2.9L Whipple Supercharger installed on my 2016 Mustang GT, (manual) about three weeks ago. Also had stainless power catted lt headers, g force 850hp half shafts, g force aluminum driveshaft, Mcleod RST Clutch, Stainless steel clutch line, billet opg/crank sprocket and mgw x spec shifter installed on the car. Everything seemed fine when i first started driving the vehicle, (besides 2 broke g force halfshafts), but the first time i took the car on a long drive (over an hr and a half or so) it started throwing a random misfire code. First it was solid, but later on it started blinking. After reading the dtc codes with my sct tuner i saw the p0300 random misfire code and when it started blinking it was the p0302, po306, po304 and po308 codes. I pulled the car over and called the shop that did the install. They stated that if i didnt let the car warm up enough before getting on the gas it would throw codes like that. So i let the car warm up for about 10 minutes before driving, but again in about a half hr the blinking light came on again with different cylinder misfire codes. The difference this time was different cylinders misfiring. Fast forward 3 weeks and 4 long drives later. Driving around town nothing happens as far as codes go, but every time im on the highway for an extended amount of time the car throws random misfire codes on random cylinders, Now im not beating on the car either just cruising around at highway speeds. The ac, if on, also blows hot when the light comes on sometimes, but not every time. i thought it might be plug related so i pulled all the plugs, regapped them and reinstalled them and no change. Also the longer i drive the more the light blinks. I know its not good to drive on these codes and i pulled over multiple times during each long drive to try n let the car cool, but with no luck. I also know that a crank relearn was done before i got the car back because i watched the mechanic perform the procedure. Ive sent a few datalogs to Whipple, (who seem to be just as confused as i am about this), and am waiting on their response, but in the meantime im just trying to see if anyone here has experienced this issue? I have also thrown rear o2 sensor inefficiency codes about 2-3 times, but have just cleared them. Mind you this is Whipples tune so i expected the rear 02 codes. I also just have to say im not bashing Whipple at all, as their customer service has been top notch, i am really happy with how helpful they have been. its just driving me crazy that i cant enjoy the Whipple because im too worried about codes. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks everyone!!!
Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
hey guys so ive done some searching on these forums but either im not good enough at searching this site yet, or nobody has ran into this specific problem. I had a 2.9L Whipple Supercharger installed on my 2016 Mustang GT, (manual) about three weeks ago. Also had stainless power catted lt headers, g force 850hp half shafts, g force aluminum driveshaft, Mcleod RST Clutch, Stainless steel clutch line, billet opg/crank sprocket and mgw x spec shifter installed on the car. Everything seemed fine when i first started driving the vehicle, (besides 2 broke g force halfshafts), but the first time i took the car on a long drive (over an hr and a half or so) it started throwing a random misfire code. First it was solid, but later on it started blinking. After reading the dtc codes with my sct tuner i saw the p0300 random misfire code and when it started blinking it was the p0302, po306, po304 and po308 codes. I pulled the car over and called the shop that did the install. They stated that if i didnt let the car warm up enough before getting on the gas it would throw codes like that. So i let the car warm up for about 10 minutes before driving, but again in about a half hr the blinking light came on again with different cylinder misfire codes. The difference this time was different cylinders misfiring. Fast forward 3 weeks and 4 long drives later. Driving around town nothing happens as far as codes go, but every time im on the highway for an extended amount of time the car throws random misfire codes on random cylinders, Now im not beating on the car either just cruising around at highway speeds. The ac, if on, also blows hot when the light comes on sometimes, but not every time. i thought it might be plug related so i pulled all the plugs, regapped them and reinstalled them and no change. Also the longer i drive the more the light blinks. I know its not good to drive on these codes and i pulled over multiple times during each long drive to try n let the car cool, but with no luck. I also know that a crank relearn was done before i got the car back because i watched the mechanic perform the procedure. Ive sent a few datalogs to Whipple, (who seem to be just as confused as i am about this), and am waiting on their response, but in the meantime im just trying to see if anyone here has experienced this issue? I have also thrown rear o2 sensor inefficiency codes about 2-3 times, but have just cleared them. Mind you this is Whipples tune so i expected the rear 02 codes. I also just have to say im not bashing Whipple at all, as their customer service has been top notch, i am really happy with how helpful they have been. its just driving me crazy that i cant enjoy the Whipple because im too worried about codes. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks everyone!!!
Blinking means it's missing right then. Those misfires are happening, I can say without a doubt the cal is rock solid. It has something to do with the changes from a stock car. I would recommend doing the crank relearn yourself to verify its been done correctly. If spark gap is correct and plugs are correct, then it next goes to crank relearn. If those 2 are not eh cure then it might have a wiring issue with the iat2 sensor or IMRC, or a wire to a coil or can sensor is pinched.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks Whipple! was hoping someone else on here had a similar issue. I will check all that today and hopefully no more issues! Good to know the datalogs look good!

Highvoltage16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Ingot silver
Hey Russ, I had the issue with mine also when it was new. Did 2 crank relearns and still had intermittent misfire codes, but only at 3/4 throttle or more. I closed up the spark plug gap to .028 and never had another issue. Not saying he didn't check the gap in the plugs, but that's what solved my problem. Good luck!

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yep need to do a crank relearn,DONT,do any wot pulls until u get that light off and stop flashing.Also what f_____ shop told u it would throw codes like that if it didnt warm up first,that shop would not touch my car again.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Have someone with ids do the crankrelearn!!!

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I pulled the plugs n gapped em all to 28 ill double check n make sure they are spot on. Thanks for the advice bro!

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Trust me that shop will not touch my car again. im not gonna blast em, but i had a very unfortunate experience with them. Nothing worse than being constantly lied to by the "professionals" that worked on my vehicle, but thats a different thread for a different time

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Thats why i would let somekne eles do the crank relearn,another thing there was a guy on here having almost the same issue as u with the misfires,turned out he had the 02 sensors pkugged in wrong,i think he said he had the front 02plug plugged into the rear 02,cant remember excatly but i would check your 02 connections.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks Tommy V ill check that as well. I have really been wondering if the o2s could be part of the issue. ill update as i troubleshoot the issues

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
If you want to email me the logs at [email protected] I can take a look, give you some advice.

Your issues point to some pretty obvious stuff.

However, might I ask you are you actually using the Whipple calibration (you should have a Flare tool) or is this a custom tune? You mentioned an SCT for logging...

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks, that would be awesome, i will email the logs ASAP. I originally had a custom n/a tune on the car but reverted back to stock during the whipple install to use their tune. i have a flare tool as well, but i like the sct for datalogging, i didnt think i could datalog with the whipple flare tool

Highvoltage16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Ingot silver
You'll need to get a set of 90s from Big Daddies Garage since you're still on the Whipple tune. Just get the basic 90, you don't need the mini cats. Not sure this will solve your misfire, but you will probably keep getting the cat efficiency code without these anyway. Seems to be just about any cats less than 400 cell don't satisfy the sensors and most header companies use 200 cell cats

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Thanks, that would be awesome, i will email the logs ASAP. I originally had a custom n/a tune on the car but reverted back to stock during the whipple install to use their tune. i have a flare tool as well, but i like the sct for datalogging, i didnt think i could datalog with the whipple flare tool
You are correct, just wanted to make sure. Any chance you also pulled P0315?

There have been plenty of instances where N/A tuned cars have the crank relearn MIL turned off, meaning it will not be reported, even if the code is present. Problem is you CANNOT do a proper crank relearn with the tune setup this way, the code itself makes the procedure not work. I am just wondering if in the process of the return to stock, reload of the Whipple tune the crank P0315 remained set as not reported, and therefore your installer never successfully did the procedure.

I would try to read your codes using the Flare tool instead of the SCT.

Highvoltage16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Ingot silver
You can an do your own crank relearn with the flare program Russ. It very easy, turn on profile learning and follow the instructions on the screen. Takes a few seconds and makes a lot of noise.
Sponsored