Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
You can an do your own crank relearn with the flare program Russ. It very easy, turn on profile learning and follow the instructions on the screen. Takes a few seconds and makes a lot of noise.
I wouldn't try this until he can verify the code is present or not.

Any tool that can do a crank relearn procedure will report back it was successful even though it was not. It reports the success based on meeting the test criteria (ECT temp, rpms), but its not actually telling you the PCM learned.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Alright, gonna use the flare tool and see what happens, Thanks for the help guys! Gonna see what happens

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I wouldn't try this until he can verify the code is present or not.

Any tool that can do a crank relearn procedure will report back it was successful even though it was not. It reports the success based on meeting the test criteria (ECT temp, rpms), but its not actually telling you the PCM learned.
Holy hell im glad im not the only one that is picking up on this common pratice,good call man and good info.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Alright, gonna use the flare tool and see what happens, Thanks for the help guys! Gonna see what happens
Like too soon said doing a crank relearn with the flare tool will do u no good until u make sure code po315 is not turned off in your tune.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
what should i check to see if the code is actually working? Just with my sct tuner? ive done datalogging but am unsure how to check the tune. Is that something ford would have to do or Whipple? Sorry guys im kind of a newbie when it comes to anything more than datalogs.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Really the only way to tell is to put the stock tune in and if u start it up a code po315 comes right up the crank relearn they did was not sucessful.Also if u know someone with ids they can doma crank relearn and if the ids wont do it,its a really good chance 315 is turned off in the tune.I would have someone with ids do the relearn.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ok, thanks, ill see if a local mechanic i know and trust around here can check it. Thanks again for the info! ill do an update shortly

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I just wanted to see if the Flare tool picked up any different codes than the SCT. You can scan with the Flare tool.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Yea i have never used the flare tool,but the sct will not pick up pending codes seems to only pick up.hard codes.U really need something to pick up koeo and koer codes,the flair tool might i have never tried it.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Yea i have never used the flare tool,but the sct will not pick up pending codes seems to only pick up.hard codes.U really need something to pick up koeo and koer codes,the flair tool might i have never tried it.

Def does all three, I would screen shot it but don't have my laptop. It is three separate options to do, with a text dialog box that shows all the results.

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Def does all three, I would screen shot it but don't have my laptop. It is three separate options to do, with a text dialog box that shows all the results.
Thats nice,alot better then the sct.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey guys so quick update. Just checked my dtcs with the whipple flare tool and found a p0316 misfire detected on startup, (first 1000 revolutions) any ideas as to what that is? I dont have a p0315 just the p0316. Is that a crank relearn issue? I havent tried the relearn ywt, just wanted to wait until i can figure the p0316 code first.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Ok, not to scare you but....

I have run across this once on my own and after some research on the Goog, I have found this could be caused by two issues, FOR THE MOST PART.

First is easiest, leaky injector orings. Not easy to check but if it is the problem is the easier of the two to fix. You can try wiggling the injectors around to feel for some that may not be seated or feel loose.

Second issue from research is timing chain/tensioner issue. Read below from modded mustang...

The problem isn't the solenoids, its the lack of oil on startup. The lack of oil comes from (most often) chain tensioners leaking down and allowing all the oil in the heads to drain back into the pan. When the engine is first started, the phasers retard cam timing to allow the engine to warm up faster, and if there's no oil in there, they get stuck in full retard. It's possible, I would think, to use a datalogger or PID monitor and see if the solenoids are sticking, but it wouldn't show up for long because as soon as oil pressure is built up, it goes away. Or at least it should. 300 and 316 are random misfire codes, if a spark plug or coil goes bad, it'll set a code for that specific cylinder. Those codes are usually what comes before the phaser fails completely and takes out an entire cylinder bank. In that case, you'll have either or both the 300 or 316, plus the corresponding codes for that bank (i.e.: P0301, 302, 303, and 304 for the right side bank).

when your OPGs were installed, did they reuse all the stock hardware? How many miles on your motor?

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
For that guy they were helping, it ended up being AC related. Whenever he ran his AC or started the car with it last set to on, he would pop P0316.

Maybe clear the code, and then take the car out and start it with no AC? Scan it again...

If it fixes the issue, your AC might be somehow causing a false misfire or noise to the engine. Sounds like folklore but seems to be some truth in it.

OP
OP

RussTang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the advice, i was thinking an injector could be the root cause myself, gonna dig a bit deeper this weekend. i did a crank relearn today and changed the plugs. i did observe a little white on one of the plugs, so i figured for a few bucks might as well change em all. Im gonna drive tonight n see if the issue is fixed if not gonna check some sensors that whipple stated could be plugged into the wrong spots. Also gonna get those defoulers from big daddies in case of some sort of related issue, i doubt thats it but i hate looking at check engine lights. In any case ill update in a bit after i go for this ride. I really appreciate everyones ideas and suggestions, really makes troubleshooting sooo much easier. Its amazing how great the mustang community is!
Sponsored