Sponsored

Catch Cans, and Is there evidence???

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Most manufacturers don't use them because people won't empty them, simple as that.
Where is the FACT behind that type of response? What Manufacturer on what continent has factually stated they will not employ catch cans on their production vehicles because the vehicle owner will not empty it?

Are vehicle manufacturers saying the same about someone who buys a vehicle and never maintains it, or say, never changes the oil?? Are they going to start sending out engines with no removable oil filters and oil pans without drain bolts?

:lol::lol:
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Where is the FACT behind that type of response? What Manufacturer on what continent has factually stated they will not employ catch cans on their production vehicles because the vehicle owner will not empty it?

Are vehicle manufacturers saying the same about someone who buys a vehicle and never maintains it, or say, never changes the oil?? Are they going to start sending out engines with no removable oil filters and oil pans without drain bolts?

:lol::lol:
You seriously don't know they already to stuff like this? I mean, I know you think its funny but it seems like you stopped paying attention to what manufacturers are doing in 1978. Its pretty common these days to see cartridge filters that need special tools to remove, spark plugs are getting that way as well. Lets not forget batteries, especially in European cars.

Chez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Car manufacturers are known to do what is best for the consumer. They would never design a system that would cause harm to an engine. :lol:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Where are all the pics and documented problems on 2.3 DI Turbo engines from cars without catch cans? We are on our 3rd DI Turbo 4 and no problems to report. Gas mileage stays the same, no rough idle, nada. Ford tore down an EB with 160k miles and found no problems with carbon buildup. With over 5 million EBs on the road if there was.a big problem with carbon buildup we would have seen it by now. So why introduce a catch can and chance voiding the warranty to combat a non existent problem? Where are all these carbon filled 2.3 DI engines with rough idle and poor gas.mileage. Professional engine builders and racers may have a need for catch cans and you are already voiding the warranty so have at it.

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Where are all the pics and documented problems on 2.3 DI Turbo engines from cars without catch cans? We are on our 3rd DI Turbo 4 and no problems to report. Gas mileage stays the same, no rough idle, nada. Ford tore down an EB with 160k miles and found no problems with carbon buildup. With over 5 million EBs on the road if there was.a big problem with carbon buildup we would have seen it by now. So why introduce a catch can and chance voiding the warranty to combat a non existent problem? Where are all these carbon filled 2.3 DI engines with rough idle and poor gas.mileage. Professional engine builders and racers may have a need for catch cans and you are already voiding the warranty so have at it.
Ford also tore down the F150 3.5 and found not much carbon or coking either. So I wonder how that stuff got on my 3.5. :shrug:

https://goo.gl/photos/hsSn1xThrfZPEBH26
https://goo.gl/photos/TzcUmvaG6gEg8sy89
https://goo.gl/photos/HAAze3Z4fKWCNGv56

Chez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For every example of a problem there are many more examples of no problems. Catch cans do not install themselves which means problems can be introduced into the system with faulty installations, parts, etc and cause catastrophic engine failure. Like everything else in life it comes.down to risk vs reward.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I could literally pour the oil out of my intake manifold on my EB. This was only with 15k miles.
How much oil do you now drain out of the can and what interval. Any chance you have checked to see how good your intake now looks after the same mileage? I believe it takes some pretty good design to catch the oil and remove it from the vapor mist. Much more then just a container. I used to race go karts and we had big containers to catch our oil and it did catch most but also let a fair amount spit out the top vents. I've seen some pretty complex designs for a few expensive catch cans. I am just wondering how efficient the UPR is before spending a fair amount on one since this is a pretty small can.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
The thing is, oil vapor is present no matter what system you look at. No matter how good the OEM designed the system. It's piece of mind for me to know that less is in my system.

Sponsored

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just for your own information you can go to home depot and get an inline air compressor filter and install it between the PCV and throttle body and watch what goes through it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Air-Compressor-Filter-HDA70403AV/100027474

Then you will see that we are just trying to educate and help and not debate you. This forum is for learning and not wasting time with theory and internet claims about the ecoboost engines having no oil ingestion problems.

Just want you to be informed correctly.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
How much oil do you now drain out of the can and what interval. Any chance you have checked to see how good your intake now looks after the same mileage? I believe it takes some pretty good design to catch the oil and remove it from the vapor mist. Much more then just a container. I used to race go karts and we had big containers to catch our oil and it did catch most but also let a fair amount spit out the top vents. I've seen some pretty complex designs for a few expensive catch cans. I am just wondering how efficient the UPR is before spending a fair amount on one since this is a pretty small can.
We offer two different systems for the dirty side of the 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang. The larger 2.5" x 6" can delivers much better coalescing and condensing than the smaller 2.25" x 6". All of our systems are head and shoulder above the rest.

Joe

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing is, oil vapor is present no matter what system you look at. No matter how good the OEM designed the system. It's piece of mind for me to know that less is in my system.
You must be really fun at parties. Who gives a fucking rats ass about how much oil vapor is present? It's a car, treat it like one.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Everyone installed catch cans and mitigated the issue. ;)

On a more serious note, I have my JLT catch can sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. After I got it, I started debating installing it becuase I'm only at 5700 miles on my car. With all the little isues I've had with my car and how I'm constantly taking it to the dealer, I'm not sure I want to deal with the warranty hassles for an "issue" that lacks hard data showing
it IS an issue.

You're on the right track, asking for empirical evidence. All you'll get off the forums is anecdotal evidence or manufacterer's insisting you need them.

For my anecdotal evidence, my CX-7 with the 2.3L turbo 4 was around 86k miles when I traded it in. I never had an issue with rough idle or bad gas mileage. It never had a catch can.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
You must be really fun at parties. Who gives a fucking rats ass about how much oil vapor is present? It's a car, treat it like one.
I do. What the hell you think gets tacked onto the back of the valves? Causes fuel dilution? :headbonk:
Sponsored