Sponsored

C&D Cover Purports Leaked 2015 Mustang Images

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
I know this isn't a leak especially after chazcron found out the guy worked on this way before the media preview.

Here's another one anyhow. Found this gold convertible version someone did thru a google search.

11224245584_156cf863eb_h.jpg
1mustang.jpg
Sponsored

shelby1k

Good theory Josh. Now, what does that say about the engine lineup? You think Ford will surprise us with the 2.3 EB-4 at launch? They need something to surprise us with, no? C/D seemed all too keen to say the engines will come years after the launch.

Also, might we need to offer chaz even more kudos for potentially pushing up the reveal to December? I doubt they would change their plans, but the December reveal to the press seemed a little out of the blue to me. Who knows, I am probably just looking for something to think about while we wait....:)
I think multiple people were saying before end of this year fairly far back, but who knows, it's possible Ford has been playing the spy photo/teaser/reveal game by ear.

Also, I think the surprise would be not seeing the 2.3 I4 at launch. Ford needs to come out of the gate with this if they want it to gain traction IMO. Let it have a fair shake against the V6 and get it in the hands of media asap for some positive reviews. They have a bunch of skeptics to prove wrong with the EB4.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Ditto. I think the EB engine has to be there to ensure sales abroad. We know the 6s and 8s will sell well here but I think the smaller engine is critical in Europe.

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO

When mainstream media get involved it __________.

Melino

These guys actually think we're going to see the 5 or so engines that C&D claims? Face Palm.

Sponsored

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
These guys actually think we're going to see the 5 or so engines that C&D claims? Face Palm.
Who are you referring to by "these guys"?
Besides, C/D talks about the engines coming over multiple years. There have been 4 over the last couple of years (v6, GT, Boss, GT500) -- add the EB-4 and that makes 5. Doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility given all the SE potential Ford has.

Melino

Who are you referring to by "these guys"?
Besides, C/D talks about the engines coming over multiple years. There have been 4 over the last couple of years (v6, GT, Boss, GT500) -- add the EB-4 and that makes 5. Doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility given all the SE potential Ford has.
"These guys" meaning C & D.

Actually I was wrong, here is the line up as they see it:

- 5.0L Coyote
- 3.7L V6
- 2.3L I4 (shortly after)
- 3.5L Ecoboost V6 to replace the 3.7L in 2017
- 5.8L Trinity for next-gen GT500
- TT V8 Voodoo for the GT350 that will replace the GT500 in a few yrs
- Unknown Boss 302 replacement will get either an N/A Voodoo or hotted up version of the 5.0 Coyote (like the Road Runner in the current-gen Boss 302)

So that's actually 7 different engines (even if they don't all overlap) in a span of 2-3 years. That's not happening, sorry. I think we can scratch out the 5.8L Trinity right off the bat and the 3.5L EcoBoost, if it happens at all probably won't see the light of day in a Mustang for another 5+ years.

I just cant imagine with Mustang volume what it is now that they would make more (and not less) specialty engines. Price is probably going way up too which means even less volume on the special editions. Engine sharing or modifying existing powertrain options is the way forward.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
"These guys" meaning C & D.

Actually I was wrong, here is the line up as they see it:

- 5.0L Coyote
- 3.7L V6
- 2.3L I4 (shortly after)
- 3.5L Ecoboost V6 to replace the 3.7L in 2017
- 5.8L Trinity for next-gen GT500
- TT V8 Voodoo for the GT350 that will replace the GT500 in a few yrs
- Unknown Boss 302 replacement will get either an N/A Voodoo or hotted up version of the 5.0 Coyote (like the Road Runner in the current-gen Boss 302)

So that's actually 7 different engines (even if they don't all overlap) in a span of 2-3 years. That's not happening, sorry. I think we can scratch out the 5.8L Trinity right off the bat and the 3.5L EcoBoost, if it happens at all probably won't see the light of day in a Mustang for another 5+ years.

I just cant imagine with Mustang volume what it is now that they would make more (and not less) specialty engines. Price is probably going way up too which means even less volume on the special editions. Engine sharing or modifying existing powertrain options is the way forward.
By the time the Mustang would get a TTV6 the 3.5L EB would be on the late stages of its lifespan. The upcoming 2.9 TTV6 is already going to make just as much power, but that will be reserved for Lincoln.

bullets

Should also keep in mind that much of the development for the current engines started in 07/08, at a time when Mustangs were selling 100k+ units a year and by the time the Trinity engine was being developed, given the very small niche of people that would be paying for it, they decided to basically just increase the bore on the 5.4L. Even so the adjustments made to the Condor engine to be able to support 662hp were costly. Same deal with the Boss 302 engine, no clean sheet developments here.

What we are talking about in the Car and Driver article is magnitudes above that. It's not just a matter of sticking another engine into the Mustang from one of Ford's other vehicles. There's testing, modifications, certification, etc. Now, can the Mustang volume ever justify this many engine options? Maybe. But it's got a long way to go from here.

BenH

I know I am late to the party and this is not the most popular article but there's a few bits about it I noticed.

Interior

Retro is not completely dead in the new cockpit, either. Two large, tubular gauges will continue to sit in front of the driver as they do today, and circular air vents will reside atop the center stack, flanked by a rectangular duct at each end. The upper portion of the dashboard will be canted forward and have dual cowls, another cue from the Mustang museum.

The center stack will offer either traditional stereo and HVAC controls or the MyFord Touch do-everything touch screen, available for the first time in a Mustang. After taking a drubbing in customer-satisfaction surveys, Ford is emphasizing the evolution of the MyFord Touch interface. The next-gen system debuts in the Mustang, offering redundant buttons and switchgear for those who prefer to handle real controls instead of virtual ones. The changeable ambient lighting continues, but it will spread beyond the dials, cup holders, and speakers to other points within the cabin, something also found in European luxury cars like the new S-class.
Ok at least they seem to have gotten this right and this was published before the pics showing the circular vents were leaked.

This can't just be a lucky guess. Maybe it's not all BS then?

However, the Mustang’s 2015 model year will be a long one—as was 1965—and thus, Ford will offer powertrain upgrades in the months after its launch.
2015 as a long model year? Are they confusing it with the 2014MY? If the 15 goes on sale in April or later of next year it's going to be a very long one. How the cycle works going forward is anyone's guess but I can't see them doing two consecutive 16-18 month cycles. An entire model year would essentially be cut out of the Mustang's history. Anyone have a guess what they are talking about?

Sponsored

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
The "Model" year would be similiar to the original , april 64 to september 65. Think that's where they are going with that.

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but after changing model years in the spring and summer for years, why would they all of a sudden change to Sept for 2015? Seems like a guess, to me. And a wrong one at that.

kc3333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 YB Boss, 2012 SGM MCA
Yeah, but after changing model years in the spring and summer for years, why would they all of a sudden change to Sept for 2015?
Um to be normal again? To be actually able to order the model year during its calendar year?

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Come on now. That would make too much sense. ;)

BenH

The "Model" year would be similiar to the original , april 64 to september 65. Think that's where they are going with that.
According to this link:

http://www.phharval.com/home/news-and-media/build-out-start-up/ford-fleet-cars

2013 order banks opened in 12/13/11, just over 2 months before 13 production began.
2014 order banks opened 11/12/12, also just over 2 months before 2014 production and about 3 weeks after 13 orders closed.

If the 2014 goes from Nov '12 to March '14 (assuming order banks were to open on April 17th 2014) that's 16 months.
The 2015 going from April '14 to Sept '15 as you are suggesting (17 months) means for calendar years 2013 through 2015 (note that is 3 full years) there were only 2 model year Mustangs.

Isn't that 49 model years in 50 actual years?
Sponsored