Sponsored

Broken Transmission on V6 Mustang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
So my car is currently at Ford being fixed through warranty. The flywheel in my car shattered. I was just simply driving at 20 mph and out of nowhere there was a noise and the car would not accelerate. The worst part about it is that the pressure plate assembly is on national back order so i wont be seeing my car until June.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes. Ford is just NOTORIOUS for not having critical transmission parts in stock. I waited about 1.5 months for a Ford Fiesta transmission and heard similar stories. Probably because their transmissions aren't really that reliable, or if they fail... they FAIL.

I don't know... just sucks. Why I'm so afraid to take my car in. When I had the Fiesta, I had another car (and was never offered a loaner). Now that I don't have another car...

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Your dual mass flywheel busted, not your transmission. Your pressure plate is fine and doesn't need to be replaced to get you back on the road. You might as well go aftermarket flywheel/clutch if you plan on doing more mods.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Your dual mass flywheel busted, not your transmission. Your pressure plate is fine and doesn't need to be replaced to get you back on the road. You might as well go aftermarket flywheel/clutch if you plan on doing more mods.
Yes i know its not the transmission itself. The internal gears are fine. However the dealer told me that i need a pressure plate, clutch, and the flywheel. Its all under warranty and the car is a lease so i will not be doing any upgrades on that part of the car.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Yes. Ford is just NOTORIOUS for not having critical transmission parts in stock. I waited about 1.5 months for a Ford Fiesta transmission and heard similar stories. Probably because their transmissions aren't really that reliable, or if they fail... they FAIL.

I don't know... just sucks. Why I'm so afraid to take my car in. When I had the Fiesta, I had another car (and was never offered a loaner). Now that I don't have another car...
Yeah its crazy. I had a 2012 Mustang before this and the one of the gears shredded apart and destroyed the rest of them. I had to get a whole new trans. Took about a month. At the same time i also had a 2000 Taurus and that transmission also went.
Thankfully i actually know the owner of the dealer that i went to this time and got a 2016 fully loaded hybrid fusion. Had 9 miles on it when i got it.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
another fly wheel to the list..mine broke a couple months ago....waited a week just to get flywheel bolts. sorry, I probably took the last clutch lol. that's a bummer man.

im going to upgrade to a stock gt flywheel/clutch, I just need to get the clutch actuator spacer.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yeah its crazy. I had a 2012 Mustang before this and the one of the gears shredded apart and destroyed the rest of them. I had to get a whole new trans. Took about a month. At the same time i also had a 2000 Taurus and that transmission also went.
Thankfully i actually know the owner of the dealer that i went to this time and got a 2016 fully loaded hybrid fusion. Had 9 miles on it when i got it.
I wouldn't have bought another Ford if I was in that situation. That's dedication.

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
another fly wheel to the list..mine broke a couple months ago....waited a week just to get flywheel bolts. sorry, I probably took the last clutch lol. that's a bummer man.

im going to upgrade to a stock gt flywheel/clutch, I just need to get the clutch actuator spacer.
Lol, all good. I got a nice loaner for now. Apparently it's a problem with the early s550's

OP
OP
HunterStang

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
I wouldn't have bought another Ford if I was in that situation. That's dedication.
Haha maybe. It's been fixed through warranty beside the Taurus. And I'm pretty sure that one I actually broke by towing something up a hill that was way over the capacity of the car.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
its a problem with the s197 3.7s as well. seems nobody is breaking 2.3 DM flywheels though

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Actually I've read several are breaking 2.3 flywheels as well.

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
you tuned and did exhaust mods to a lease? Thought that was a big no no.

BMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7
So my car is currently at Ford being fixed through warranty. The flywheel in my car shattered. I was just simply driving at 20 mph and out of nowhere there was a noise and the car would not accelerate. The worst part about it is that the pressure plate assembly is on national back order so i wont be seeing my car until June.
They give you any problems with the car being tuned?

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Actually I've read several are breaking 2.3 flywheels as well.
I haven't heard of any, but I know the DM flywheel has not been friendly in terms of performance.
Sponsored