Brand new 2022 MY with musty gross smell coming from AC

KCCG1219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kristen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Mustang
I’ve only had my car for 2 months and it has 1600 miles on it. I just turned the AC on today and immediately smelled that dreaded nasty musty smell coming from the vents. Could it possibly be mold even though the car is brand new? How can I fix this?
Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Run the ac cold when it's cold out. Then when it's hot run the heater for a bit. See if that clears it up.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Could simply be because the car is new, the season, temps and moisture. The first few days after picking up my car, I smelled all kinds of stuff burning off, inside, underneath and from the engine compartment.

Run the A/C, defrost and heater for different periods or intervals; that should help. Don't use the recirculate feature; you'd like to have fresh air coming in while using.

When complete, clean off the inside of your windshield (mine was filthy). Might not be a bad idea to give the interior a gentle wipe down with a damp rag, something neutral.

If after a time you just can't get rid of the odor, discuss with the Service Manager at your supporting dealer.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Replace the cabin filter.

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you'd like, along with the above steps, check your cabin air filter.

Drop the glove box, and a single T20 or T25 screw keeps it secure.

Sponsored

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
There's also a product you can get at the auto parts store that gets sprayed into the inlet of the HVAC. You put the A/C on, spray at the inlet and shut the car off. The stuff needs to stay in the ducting to work for while.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There’s always this option:
1673074401271.jpeg

Kidding aside….

Tip when parking car IF just having used HVAC:
Always turn off the A/C and/or defroster and disable the "recycle" air feature BEFORE turning off the car. This opens the vents and allows the HVAC system to breathe/dry and prevent condensation accumulation within itself. It also allows the HVAC cabin filter to breathe. By doing so you will eliminate almost 90% of any normal "odors" caused by a non-breathing HVAC system. If there is still any musty smell if following the above advice, then there is water intrusion occurring somewhere in the cabin.

—-
Make sure the cowling at base of windshield isn't full of debris or that the drain channel isn't plugged (yes, this area is still an issue with modern day Mustangs). If the cowl is plugged, water can come in over the cabin filter. The modern cowl is supposed to have a few drainage holes to allow water to drain out instead of accumulating. There is also a cowl drain with a flap that is supposed to auto open to allow water to drain. If those holes are plugged with debris or the drainage flap is not functioning, it’s possible water could spill over through where the cabin filter is located.

This thread discusses the cowl drain flapper:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cowl-drain-valve.132078/

TW Merema

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Had the same issue with mine when I bought it, 2020 with 5,000 miles I bought this June. I live near the coast in Alabama and it gets humid here (understatement). New cabin filter, no water intrusion anywhere, but the AC runs pretty much all year here. I started leaving the windows down when I park and it went away. If you don’t have a garage this isn’t helpful, but since I only drive it every few days this was the best solution. Now the car smells new again, and I didn’t have to go crazy with solutions.

Another option I saw was a foaming cleaner product the guy sprayed in the AC drain from under the car, it’s like a home AC coil cleaner but it really looked nasty when it came out on a fairly new car.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Easy fix, buy ozone machine and put in car for 30 mins with the ac on recirculate. Dead smells.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your under warranty don't take anything apart or do anything to your car that the dealer could hold against you. Take it in and let them deal with it.
Sponsored