Sponsored

Boost spiking/High

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Nice, I wish I had some way to log mine. I might have to get one of those bluetooth OBDII devices, or just bite the bullet and get an accessport for when I go pro tune.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Still quite worrisome. That's quite a bit of extra boost. I tell you what though...it surely pulls like hell with an extra 6 psi!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If you saw my datalog in the other thread, my boost holds pretty steady at about 22.5psi with the Ford Performance tune at least with the conditions on that particular day. I am a complete turbo noob and still trying to figure out all of the controls but isn't the wastegate what controls the level of boost? Then the BOV/BPV releases the excess?

Have you replaced the WGA or adjusted that actuator length? My guess is that spike to 30 is because of the GFB DV+. Since it's easy to install, have you considered uninstalling it and logging without it?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I think I may have found a culprit. Much like some other "cheaper" aftermarket wastegates like the one I had on my MS3 the piston needs to rotate. The spring was binding badly inside. I had a Forge BPV replaced twice for the same thing on my Mazda.

I put the stock one back in, see what it does today.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I may have found a culprit. Much like some other "cheaper" aftermarket wastegates like the one I had on my MS3 the piston needs to rotate. The spring was binding badly inside. I had a Forge BPV replaced twice for the same thing on my Mazda.

I put the stock one back in, see what it does today.

Logically I'd think the opposite should happen with a binding piston spring shouldn't it? Would keep it from returning to sealed, not the other way around. Also not seeing any reason for the DV to rotate as it is a simple up/down movement. Some require free movement to spin, but I don't see why the DV+ would.

I was purely trying to deal with the DV+ to try and the get spike to calm down as it's spiking over 30 PSI.

[MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION] I believe you are probably correct on the wastegate. Mine is still stock/untouched. Could be a loose vacuum connection somewhere, or not operating correctly. What strikes me odd is that the DTC is supposed to trip at 4psi over demand.

Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Wait.

Why did you modify your blowoff valve again? What is the point of this mod on a stock car with stock tune?

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait.

Why did you modify your blowoff valve again? What is the point of this mod on a stock car with stock tune?
The DV+ is much better at holding pressure, while the stock leaks like crazy at full boost. It also uses a pressurized system to relieve just enough pressure to keep from surging instead of dumping everything. Great increase in throttle response. It's not really a performance mod, I'd consider it more of a reliability/driveablilty mod.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Logically I'd think the opposite should happen with a binding piston spring shouldn't it? Would keep it from returning to sealed, not the other way around. Also not seeing any reason for the DV to rotate as it is a simple up/down movement. Some require free movement to spin, but I don't see why the DV+ would.

I was purely trying to deal with the DV+ to try and the get spike to calm down as it's spiking over 30 PSI.

[MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION] I believe you are probably correct on the wastegate. Mine is still stock/untouched. Could be a loose vacuum connection somewhere, or not operating correctly. What strikes me odd is that the DTC is supposed to trip at 4psi over demand.

It will rotate as it moves up and down. Just the nature of it. Probably, just like the Forge one I had before the spring binds and becomes rigid and doesn't allow the valve to actuate like it should. Driving to the store just now with the stock one on was a night and day difference. Tonight when I get on the highway I'll test the pressure and see where it peaks on the gauge. I'm thinking about moving to an actual BOV anyways.

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will rotate as it moves up and down. Just the nature of it. Probably, just like the Forge one I had before the spring binds and becomes rigid and doesn't allow the valve to actuate like it should. Driving to the store just now with the stock one on was a night and day difference. Tonight when I get on the highway I'll test the pressure and see where it peaks on the gauge. I'm thinking about moving to an actual BOV anyways.
You mean the one from stock DV? While it may help with the spiking, I'm not sure it will keep it from overboosting as that's not the DV's job.

I am as well. Looking at going with a Tial. Already have the misses convinced it needs changed immediately *cough*

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
You mean the one from stock DV? While it may help with the spiking, I'm not sure it will keep it from overboosting as that's not the DV's job.

I am as well. Looking at going with a Tial. Already have the misses convinced it needs changed immediately *cough*
No I just put the stock valve back on and it feels much better. I'm expecting to see much less boost at peak and probably boost tapering off like it did before I put the DV+ on. I'm looking at the HKS SSQV myself, I love the sound of that thing.

Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I have an extra SSQV just sitting it it's box. Brand new lol. Definitely check the WG lines for leaks. That will overboost for sure

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I just put the stock valve back on and it feels much better. I'm expecting to see much less boost at peak and probably boost tapering off like it did before I put the DV+ on. I'm looking at the HKS SSQV myself, I love the sound of that thing.
I'll try to revert back to stock when I get home, but I don't see it helping much. The wastegate should be keeping the turbo from creating that much pressure not the DV. The DV's job is to relieve pressure upon throttle decrease, not stay open at WOT to level boost.

BTW I seen a new post on I4 parts for sale here there's someone selling MAP charge pipes with an HKS for like 400.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'll try to revert back to stock when I get home, but I don't see it helping much. The wastegate should be keeping the turbo from creating that much pressure not the DV. The DV's job is to relieve pressure upon throttle decrease, not stay open at WOT to level boost.
That was my guess, the DV+ may be the cause of the spike to 30psi when you let off. The 26 psi steady boost may be the WGA or as you said, maybe a leak?

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just like to think I have a pre-release overboost model ecoboost ;)
Sponsored