Sponsored

BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I'm at 750 after oil change and it is still there. I just continue to beat on it. No tune so geen light to blowville.
Sponsored

AmnScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So, I have this exact same issue. It developed after my first oil change. Went away after 500 miles so I didn't think much of it. After my second oil change, it did it again. Took it to my dealer, and they said it was my "transmission lines knocking around". They ziptied them and said it was "fixed". They acknowledged it wasn't supposed to be making those sounds but didn't fix the issue properly. I gave up and eventually the sound went away.

Flash forward to my recent oil change at 20,000 miles, and it's back again, and a little worse. Called my dealer and I'll be taking it in this next week. Only issue is, I tuned my 5.0 through VMP recently. Since the issue started before the tune and it's documented, I'm hoping they don't give me flack about it. I returned to the stock tune. I'm hoping I get the same results as the OP but with less trouble in between. I wish there was something I could show them, as I doubt there has been a TSB since 2015 about this? Otherwise I'll just show them this thread and explain the issue.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
^have them drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings to see if one is loose.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have not had time to get mine in yet. From others that have had this a few said it was due to a rod bearing which caused more damage internally. Just figured since you are already deep in it.

Sponsored

AmnScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have not had time to get mine in yet. From others that have had this a few said it was due to a rod bearing which caused more damage internally. Just figured since you are already deep in it.
I'll let my dealer know. I'm drafting up a whole document to send the service advisor or manager explaining the symptoms and causes. Luckily having a tune won't be an issue (I have the PP2 now), as this issue has occurred long before any modifications (and is documented as well). Hopefully I get a new motor out of it, as it's getting louder after each oil change.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
^have them drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings to see if one is loose.
mine had the noise after the 1st oil change. I kept pushing them and they ripped down the engine. It had pitting and bluing in the block on the cylinder walls. they put in a short block I made ford buy it back.....

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
mine had the noise after the 1st oil change. I kept pushing them and they ripped down the engine. It had pitting and bluing in the block on the cylinder walls. they put in a short block I made ford buy it back.....
Third guy my research has found that went buyback route.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I had the tick after the first oil change at 1200 miles, went away for the next two and came back on the 15k change. All done by dealer. This last one has now had 1000 mles and it has not gone away. It's even worse with the AC on.

AmnScott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had the tick after the first oil change at 1200 miles, went away for the next two and came back on the 15k change. All done by dealer. This last one has now had 1000 mles and it has not gone away. It's even worse with the AC on.
Yep the classic BBQ tick. Mine does the same. I also have a chattering noise that I can hear inside my vehicle. Dealer will be "examining" it next week. I'll probably go the buyback route as well. The fact that Ford hasn't made a TSB about this troubles me.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yep the classic BBQ tick. Mine does the same. I also have a chattering noise that I can hear inside my vehicle. Dealer will be "examining" it next week. I'll probably go the buyback route as well. The fact that Ford hasn't made a TSB about this troubles me.
Small amounts of these have been doing it since the coyotes release for the 2011s. It's not a recent development

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The term inherent cylinder geometry failure has been mentioned with a few of these. Whatever that means.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Mine went away for a few days. It's now back. Still haven't noticed any performance difference. Irritated as the car sounds like shit with this damn noise. I'm gonna take it in soon. Sorry but if the car doesn't sound like this off the lot it shouldn't ever sound like this.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
I had it for the first 5K miles. At 21K now, and it hasn't returned. I run Platinum 5W-30 FWIW

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I recently changed my oil at 12k miles and i started getting a ticking noise. It seems to happen more acceleration at low rpms and it sounds like it gets faster the more gas i give it.
Not sure if its the ticking u guys are referring to or if its something else. Could it be an exhaust leak? Also inside closed parking lots its a lot more noticeable and makes my car sound like crap lol. I can also hear it driving next to other cars and walls.
Are ur symtoms similar to mine? Im even considering removing my headers to see if it helps but im scared that after paying $500 to remove them the sound will still be there.
Sponsored